anonymous
Years ago

No Central women in ABL?

any truth to the rumour Central district Women are not entering a team in the ABL this season????

Topic #5989 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no sure where you rumour starts but i believe it is a requirement of our central conference to have men and women playing.

like riverland who were comp in the men but not the women they were not allowed to enter just the men.

I'd be very very surprised if that was the case.

Reply #67993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Not True ... Look for the Women to show Inprovement this season New Players New Coach .. Dont expect them to Be a pushover this Year

Reply #67999 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

who are the new players?

Reply #68005 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Yeah ive heard they will be alot stronger than people think.

Reply #68011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals women have picked up a/couple of players from Warnambool (sp?), Jye's old stomping ground.

Reply #68027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, they have picked up 2 players from Warrnambool. Names are Louise McLean and Jae Conn, who both have been VERY successful players at American colleges. They are both guards, and should be two of the top players in the league. Hopefully they will have some decent players to play with...if they do, they will be very tough to beat.

Reply #68046 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Who coaches this team?

Reply #68048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"they will be very tough to beat."

gotta crawl before you can walk.

Reply #68050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kylie Taylor

Reply #68052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any Infromation on these Players what college Stats ?? it can only be good for the whole comp to have centrals Have a team that can compete

Reply #68053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know too much about the players they had last year, but obviously their record wasn't too great. I'm just sayin that these 2 new girls will really help out the team, and hopefully turn things around.

Jae Conn - played at University of Akron (Div.1)

Louise McLean - played at Colby Junior College in Kansas and was named to the All-American team -- she was offered a scholarship to Nebraska (Div.1) but turned it down to return home to Australia

Reply #68059 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Think people will recognise Louise, she played for Victoria Country in the Country Champs in Albury and also National Championships U/16's and U/18's.

Reply #68060 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Thanks Jye...

Reply #68063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should be licking their lips with excitment in lioness town

Reply #68090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we have Proved the Rumour Is quite wrong ... Intrested to hear where it started ....

Check out this Link

http://gozips.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/conn_jae00.html

Her Stats look quite Impressive

Reply #68114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good research about Jae Conn. I have seen her play, and she is a very good player with alot of athletic ability. I think she will be a great scorer, especially with Louise McLean probably playing point guard.

I have also seen Louise play, and she is an amazing point guard. She sees the floor very well, is a great passer, and can score when needed.

Obviously the Lady Lions have no place to go but up, and I think that these two girls will help that transition greatly! Best of luck to them!

Reply #68141 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

If Taylor turns out to be half as good a coach as she was a player then Centrals should have far better success than in recent times. That can only be good for the League.

Reply #68146 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

good luck to central women. hope they can keep their 2 new players more than one season.
if they are both good players, it won't be long before the other clubs try to poach them, that is what usually happens.

Reply #68156 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

They should have a good test against the centrals 18s guys this week

Reply #68160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when are they playing the 18s guys?

Reply #68163 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

sunday i think

Reply #68166 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

not sure how serious the game will be, they did it last year and the guys won fairly easily so it will be good to see how the new recruits go.

Reply #68167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last Year the Under 14s would have won ... Played them Back when i was in under 18 the girls take it seriously and So do the guys the guys dont want to lose to girls well i kno i didnt

Reply #68169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont know how they will be playing on Sunday as the 18's boys have a game at wayville at 12.45pm

Reply #68178 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

They maybe the U18 div 2 boy's?

Reply #68336 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Ok so this is great news..NOT!!!.....not only is Centrals in massive debt they are now buying players from interstate to help their womens program only loose by 30....The quicker this club leave's the comp the better

Reply #68348 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Tom, Centrals are not the only club who would owe BSA money!! I think you will find there are several clubs in the same boat..... I am glad to c Centrals look like being more competative this season....

Hopefuly Woodville improve also

Reply #68350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with you Tom

I hope they recruit a bunch of players and send themselves out the back door. Considering BASA (I still refuse to call it BSA like I refuse to call the Lightning the Blokes) is on it's knees, They need to call in all the clubs money. And I think that thiose clubs who cannot pay should not be allowed in the competitions until they do.

Reply #68358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is alot of fear out there in basketball land.

Why: These people come here and shoot down Centrals without knowing how/why/how much.... I think Centrals are putting down some foundations to grow and become successful and this is evident in their improved results at a junior and senior level in recent times.

If your thoughts were not driven by fear but for the interest of basketball you would get the facts and discuss those.

Reply #68359 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Good call Tom......

BASA recalls all the clubs debts and whichever clubs cannot pay are not allowed to compete in the upcoming season.

So there would be approximately two clubs competing, and BASA/BSA would go broke due to no revenue from all the teams that cannot play.

Great for Basketball in this state, hey.

Reply #68367 | Report this post

kingman  
Years ago

I don't understand why some people hate Centrals so much (Tom and Anon 68358), BASA is in massive debt also but Centrals didn't put them there. Centrals debt doesn't help but many other clubs in debt don't help as well. If you are calling for Centrals to be kicked out maybe BASA should go as well, then what????

If the people out there really support basketball the last thing they would want to see is the down fall of a club, for basketball to get stronger, basketball competitions such as the ABA need to expand. People shouldn't be calling for the end of a club they should be encouraging places like the Riverland and the Pt. Augusta area to establish competitive basketball teams to compete in the ABA. BASA should be trying to get Mildura and Mt Gambier to join the Central Conference, Teams from Victoria such as Horsham who play Div 1 in the Big V should be encouraged to play. Expand the competition, expand the supporter base, and make more money.

As for Centrals buying players you have to spend money to make money, if the Women's team is competitive interest will grow in Gawler and sponsors may come out of the woodwork, which will only help the Club's bottom line. If they win a game the Blue Army will tear starplex down with excitement. Anything positive like the recruitment of quality players can only be good for the whole Conference/State.

Reply #68368 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think it is great that Centrals will be competitive in the ABL, it good for basketball and the competition. Sturty6ers is right when saying that 2 clubs do not have debt. I would beleive that these clubs would be Sturt and Fville. The rest of the clubs all owe money and a fair bit. Kicking clubs out because of debt is not the solution, but I guarentee the people in BASA at the moment who are sorting out the crises, will give strong recomendations on how this money owing is sorted out quickly. If I was the clubs I would be tucking as much money away as possible because IMO this money will be asked to be paid back very quickly.

To blame Centrals all the time is wrong and unfair, because they are no worse than any other club that are buying senior players. Ufortunately for them, their financial problems were placed on an open forum for everyone to read late last year.

Reply #68376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have I been living in a differetnt universe. BSA is broke now. We have called in the auditors becasue of clubs continuously trying to BUY an ABA Championship. Last year Centrals nearly became insolvent due to their senior team costing so much.

If you can't now see that Centrals, and any other club for that matter would be better off developing local competition domestic and miniball., As these competitions p[roduce further revenue streams for the clubs long term sastainability. Focusing incomes out on the largest revenue area "juniors" then you deserve to be insolvent, which is exactly what will happen if Centrals and others who try and buy a senior team.

ABA basketball DOES NOT make ANY club in SA money. It never will. If you can't afford it now, don't do it.

As of June, their will be a major restucturing of basketball in SA. I am sure that a component of this would be that clubs will be more accountable as to their payments to BSA. I for one think that it would be tragic that any member club was shown the door dur to poor management, but overspending in the current enviroment is the best way for that to happen for any club.

Reply #68380 | Report this post

ShutUp!  
Years ago

While I agree that Clubs shouldn't be not allowed to play while they owe money to BASA, I know that one club a few years ago was not allowed to bring in an import because of their financial position. To me this makes sense, unless you are meeting your obligations to BASA, be that the Club owes no money or it is keeping up with its debt reduction obligations, then BASA should refuse to accept any registration for new (Paid)players until it is up to date.
As the provider of funding to the Clubs, BASA should have access to contracts, so if for example, Club "A" recruits a player from interstae or another club and wants to pay him say $5,000 for the season, but they are $3,000 behind in their payments on an O/S debt of say $50,000, then the Registration of this player is held up until the Club has paid the $3,000 arrears. That should ensure clubs keep their payments up to date.

Reply #68381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#68359 - ah, it's the annual "Centrals laying the foundations, we're all scared of them" post!!
I had Feb 23 in the pool....

Improved results? Whereabouts? Two years ago Centrals WON the Under 12 girls. Last year they came mid-tablish (or at least not top 3). Both of these years they qualified for the Classics - and didn't take up the offer either time (as far as I'm aware, certainly didn't last year). They don't even have div 1 Under 12 or 14 boys, and their 16 boys are not of div 1 standard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping the club folds or anything, far from it. But to suggest people pick on them because they're scared of them is pretty far-fetched. Nearly everyone I know treats Centrals with equal measures of pity and mild amusement. Certainly not fear.

Reply #68382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

68382, they cant win. They nominate teams in U12/U14s in lower divisions, making the comp more competitive and if they nominate teams in div 1 then they are destroying the competition.

If your feedback was constructive, knowledgeable or not contradictory to yourself then we might assume it was not driven by fear.

The teams in lower divisions in younger age groups are actually doing OK.

Reply #68383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anything not constructive is driven by fear? Jeez, in that case I've been petrified of Centrals for at least 10 years.....whilst never losing to them.

Reply #68384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will answer that by posing a question:

Why would you try and destroy a mostly junior club by making non-constructive comments if you have nothing to fear? I can only see two possible answers:
1. You dont have anything better to do?
2. Fear that the club will become strong?
3. You dont think before you open your mouth/post to a forum about if there is actually any point to what you are doing?
Anymore possibilities or which one is it?

Reply #68385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

make that 3 possible answers ...

Reply #68386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't think Woodville owes BSA money either so if there are two clubs that don't owe money maybe its not forestville and sturt or is there 3 clubs

Reply #68387 | Report this post

kingman  
Years ago

Centrals new moto
Your dammed if you do your dammed if you don't

What would happen if the NBL was looking at the 36ers the way some of you are talking about Centrals, luck the 6ers are in debt to the State Gov. the tax payers, oh thats me, (some of you wouldn't be old enough to pay taxes so its not you) were's my money 6ers!!!!!

Reply #68392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4. Continued amusement that you think we take your club seriously, let alone are scared of them.

Or perhaps merely stating the fact that we hear this from Centrals every year - and every year we see no evidence of it.

Perhaps instead of responding to bait on this forum, you could put some thought into why so many people drive straight past the StarPlex to play (or have their children play) at North or Norwood. Perhaps they think that they will be better seviced there?

Reply #68394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. You dont have anything better to do?

Is basically the same as:

4. Continued amusement that you think we take your club seriously, let alone are scared of them.

Reply #68398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will answer your question with another question.

1. Can anybody show me a correlation between Senior team results and increased revenue for a club? This thought i an aberation!

2. How many junior players need to leave Centrals before they realise that they have a serious problem at junior level? And it is usually there better players!

3. Why oh why do we hear the same thing year in year out without anything to back it up? Last year all we heard was how Centrals were going to win the ABA and the money would flow into improving their juniors, with masses of players coming out to play!

Reply #68399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Err Im not sure anyone made any of those crazy claims...

Reply #68400 | Report this post

Elley  
Years ago

What a load of rubbish Centrals are. They owe BASA $80k...Fact...they cant pay it back...fact....BASA loose money every time they play at Gawler stadium...Fact.

The sooner they go the better.

Reply #68407 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

"BSA is broke now. We have called in the auditors becasue of clubs continuously trying to BUY an ABA Championship."

I thought it was because our State Government didn't like the fact that they weren't getting their money back from the loan BSA took out.

I haven't seen any statements in the press sugggesting the club debts to BSA were the problem.

If i'm wrong i'll stand corrected...

Reply #68703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The state governemnt threatened to call in the loan because BASA looked to be having a $1.2 Million lose when they had budgeted on $280K. That a number of clubs owe $80K shows that this contributes to a large slice of the reason for the State Government intervention.

Clubs need to be punished if they do not pay their BASA fee's.

Reply #68717 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How about we stone them?

Reply #68732 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

LOL!!! Give yourself an icon Isaac! That was gold...

Reply #68734 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

ok all you wise old sages out there with your petty opinions.
do let us all know without being smart and derogatory what your solutions would be to make Central a successful club.
why do players drive pass Starplex to play for other clubs?
because they are more successful,that would be the only reason.

Reply #68825 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Ok, well just for the record the U18s Div 2 guys won 72-54 (i think) in a fully timed game.
Both teams played well and the women executed their offence well with the new players, the reason it wasnt closer was the guys extra height and athletecism, they got way more boards at both ends and quick steals lead to alot of fast breaks.

Reply #68858 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Anon 68380....there have been no auditors called in due to the current "crisis" BSA are in.

The Auditor-General (the head Auditor of the Government) has reveiwed BASA's finances several times, and prepared reports into how the debt should be managed. This, as far as I am aware, is typical when the Government has a large financial stake.

Anon 68717.....time for a maths lesson......

Original budgeted debt $280k
Hand out requested to send in the administrator $1.2 mill
ALLEGED debt of ABA teams (I havent seen any financial reports for public consumption, so I dont know how everyone knows all these figures as FACT) is $80k
...so the ALLEGED ABA club debt is actually 8.69% of the increased handout requested ($80k/$1.2 mill - $280,000)

"That a number of clubs owe $80K shows that this contributes to a large slice of the reason for the State Government intervention." isnt really a factual statement - is it?? 8.69% isnt really a "large slice"

I wont comment about the political side of the discussion, as I have said before, I dont get involved in opinion about ABA, to remain as impartial as possible, for obvious reasons.

Reply #68862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#68825.
You are asking for everyone's "petty" opinions? Why would you care? Oh that's it, because you apparently have no idea why players drive straight past the StarPlex!!! THAT'S why Centrals will continue to be considered a joke by the rest of the clubs.
It has nothing to do with other clubs' success (tho that stems from the reason), or of your fantastic new ABA team, it's about the service provided to juniors for the money paid. And it's better at other clubs. You had a successful U12 girls team 2 years ago - did others come to Centrals to join this success? No, some of those there actually left to play elsewhere. Somewhere where they may be able to play Classics against the best opposition. Better service! I feel for some of the coaches at Centrals who seem to be doing their all (current U18 boys coach and last years 20s coach) to develop their players, but they are starting so far behind.

And if we weren't smart or derogatory, how could we show how SCARED of Centrals we all are?

Reply #68905 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

#68905 you were doing well and then you spoilt it by your last sentence!!!!!!
and I asked for a solution to making them a successful club.
they will never be a successful club without div. 1 teams in all grades, and therefore playing in "classics" etc.

Reply #69029 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

As a parent of a Centrals junior player I must concur with some posts suggesting juniors are not getting a fair shake.
In 4 years I have not seen any effort made to recruit more junior players. My son is training with fewer kids every year. I fear this will be Centrals' demise.
I feel a loyalty to the coaches, officials and parents who have done so much for my son, teaching him great skills and helping him develop into a fine young man, so I wont be pulling out until the light goes out.
It saddens me to think that as we get fewer juniors to bleed money from, those that are left will have to keep paying more until they cant afford it. Thats when it will all end.

Reply #69183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonomous,

If Centrals want to be a succesful club in the future they need to start by putting their resources into juniors. Especially U/10's and U/12's.

1/ They need to work with Starplex on employing a Junior Development Officer. Somebody to run coaching clinics at ALL the local schools.

2/ Then use these clinics to recruit kids into competitions. Centrals need to run an U/8 and U/10 competition out at Starplex. Hire the courts on Saturday morning. Get 25+ kids for each, Boys or Girls it doesn't matter.

3/ Run training session for these kids 1 night of the week. Continue increasing the numbers until you have enough for a boys and girls competition.

4/ Then enter these teams into the BASA competition. If they are finishing in the top 4 move them up a grade. If they are in the bottom 4 move them down a grade.

5/ Stop paying money to your ABA team that will NEVER increase your income, but rather focus your resources, financial and volunteer on providing a good service, to these players.

6/ Work hard on coach education by finding coaches that are willing to attend SASI and Senior training session on a weekly basis. Continue to push players into SASI even when those that do leave the club. Give families every oppotunity to attend tournaments and prais etheir efforts.

7/ Within 10 years you will have a larger playing base as well as loyal club families. Through into U/16's.

8/ Within 20 years you will have enough talent to supply your ABA teams without needing to pay people money to play for them.

Unfortunately, people at clubs do not consider this to be an easy way of developing a club. Because it is not. The only problem is the short cut route that is currently being used.

1/ Buy ABA players from interstate or other clubs.

2/ Try and win an ABA Championhip.

3/ Hang your hat on how much the club has improved.

Reply #69195 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

Anonymous (#69195),
Good to see a sensible well thought out response.
Totally agree with your ideas.

Reply #69219 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

alot easier said than done though, there are already u/8, 10, 12, 14s and 16s comps at starplex with alot of the aba men and women involved with so im sure they could try to get kids in that way, yes in a perfect world, you go to a school and all the kids develop an instant love in basketball and drop netball or football and the rich parents happily pay fees and uniform costs and when they see that centrals arent the strongest team at the moment they say they want to stick with them and help the club improve but this doesnt always happen.

Reply #69254 | Report this post

anon #69195  
Years ago

VC Fan,

I think that you will find that I actually said that it isn't easy. And that is why Centrals are unwilling to use that method.

I wouldn't expect it to work in the short term, because you need a lot of effort to get to schools, provide good clinics and develop the right programs.

Point 3 was to increase the size and level of these competitions through clincs. This will take time and a big effort for coaches to work out exactly what the market is in that area, and the needs and wants from clinics to make the most out of their base.

The longer the club tries the quick fix, the longer it will take to turn things around. In an attempt to use spending to pull the ABA teams up the Chamnpions status. The club will continue to lose focus on the juniors that pay for it. These are the people who are leaving.

Basketball is a service, the club needs to think of itself as a service providor. With other clubs and other sports as the competition for the market, which is junior memberships. By focusing on seniors they are alienating their market share. Thus making it unsustainable to properly run senior teams.

Reply #69303 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

hey 69195 you should apply for the job of "junior coaching director" at
central. your ideas are exactly what the club needs to do.
"easier said than done" seems to be the general idea at the club though!

Reply #69371 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

They lost to the U18 div 2 boys by 20 and you think thats good. Its going to be a long for them again then.

Reply #70065 | Report this post

hoops.com  
Years ago

I think there goin to go well, as they have a 1-0 record in the season at the moment. underfeated

Reply #72305 | Report this post

gvmxcjzsdjfcjsd  
Years ago

haha reeeeeeeeeeeeeee s

Reply #144208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754