yogee
Years ago

NBL double standards

The NBL yet again today showed how they have double standards when it comes to dealing with Adelaide, and Sydney based teams.

West Sydney player Graeme Dann was this week reported for striking, which today he was found guilty of.

This is Dann's second report, and guilty verdict of fighting/striking within 2 months, and both involved Sydney King Mark Worthington.

The penalty for his second guilty? A $750 fine. And the $500 suspended from his first offence has been reactivated.

$1250 for 2 dusts ups!!

Now cast your minds back to when the Titans were about.

Adelaide 36ers Martin Cattalini, and NBL veteran of 200+ games at the time, never once been reported, gets a game suspension for fighting with Marcus Wright (who incidentally didnt even get charged).

How on Earth can the NBL claim a level playing field, with 2 so very different results, which if anything should be the other way around, with Catt with a fine, and Dann sitting out?

Topic #6022 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

you are exactly right yogee. Right on the button.

Reply #68294 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm with you too. Lame decision from the league.

Reply #68307 | Report this post

Paul Smith  
Years ago

The tribunal commissioner is such a AH. Referees never get supported. The players are like endangered species and are protected. What about that big fat guy from Melbourne Tigers. He has been charged twice and no penalty

Reply #68311 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yogee - While I agree that this is a very weak decision and from what I have seen a minimum of a week suspension seemed warranted, trying to make it into an us V them situation is a bit lame. Your example goes back a couple of seasons 'when the Titans were around' for Gods sake!

Sure if something had happened and we had a player suspended this season your comments would be warranted but in his case I think not

Reply #68319 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Dam i hate Worthington -just thought i'd add that.

Reply #68320 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

The fines are so low it's funny. Imagine if someone told Kenyon Dooling after he smacked Ray Allen

"Kenyon you really stuffed up this time that's going to be $750"

Poor Sprewell would not be able to feed his family with that sort of fine.

Reply #68343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you seen the Dann/Worthington scrap? It's an under the basket tussle that turns to what initialy looks like just a bit of over the top push and shove. It's only on closer/replay inspection that you actually notice Dann slip one in on Worthingtons chin. The reasoning in difference in punishment between that and the Adelaide/Giants scrap should be fairly obvious. To even mention the Ray Allen/Kenyon Dooling thing in this thread is laughable.

Reply #68377 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

I agree that the fine is week, however it is consistant with what the Nbl have done this season.
Yog's you are going too far back to worry about Cat.

The Nbl do need to get tougher. What would happen if a state league player was to throw a punch.

he would be rubbed out for 6 weeks or more.

Reply #68401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754