Isaac
Years ago

South Adelaide Thread removed

At the request of the president of the South Adelaide Basketball Club, I have removed the "SOUTH ADELAIDE" thread in its entirety from this forum (fact). The request included posts that I believe were harmless, uncritical and in good spirit along with those that could fairly be considered criticism of the club (personal opinion).

I expressed a preference for the removal or editing of only the latter form of posts (fact), but was assured that further action would be considered or enacted should the messages from August 18 - September 2 within that thread (the beginning) onwards not be removed from the forum.

Any messages counting towards your forum contribution (reply leaderboard, etc) have subsequently been deleted.

I would like to express my personal dissatisfaction with this request and believe that it serves as nothing but negative PR for the club in question (personal opinion). I believe that it would have been a far more reasonable action to request the editing or removable of only those posts that could be considered criticism at the very least (personal opinion).

To those clubs or individuals representing clubs (explicitly or anonymously) who have responded to public criticism in what I would call a reasonable manner, I thank you for your ongoing involvement.

To everyone: there are now terms of use for people reading or posting to this forum. If you have a problem with a post, please email me with your reasons and the topic/reply number of the comment. I want people to be able to post their opinion (including valid criticism!) on this site, but if you post offensive or knowingly false information about an individual, I will remove it where appropriate.

Topic #604 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Democracy at its finest!

Reply #5744 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

Great to see lawyers involved in basketball.

Reply #5745 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Not all Lawyers in basketball are bad. Mark Caligeros (forgive my spelling) is doing a fine job as President for Sturt.

How can a Club ever move forward if it refuses to even listen to any crticism?

Considering the people they have in place at the Club have "more knowledge in their pinkie finger" than basically the rest of the Forum, as previously stated, it's amazing they aren't in a much stronger position.

Reply #5746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I spoke to Mark Calligeros during the All Star weekend -- great guy.

It's not about lawyers. It's about recognising the best way to deal with criticism. If allegations are not truthful, refute them. If there's some truth, outline what you're doing to address the issue. Run a survey or something. If someone is posting absolute junk, ask me to delete that specific post or let them make themselves look like an idiot instead. If they don't stop, request that I block them. People have had far worse said of them on this forum than was said of Paul Robinson and have reacted by sending me an email with a request to remove an individual post - easy.

I spoke with Paul yesterday and he was going to provide me with a list of the posts that he wanted me to look at removing. Also, I think it is fair to mention that I said to Brian (South's President) that I would be posting a "This thread has been removed at the request of SABC"-type message in place of the removed thread and he had no problem with that.

Reply #5750 | Report this post

Yoesemite Sam  
Years ago

Issac,
your website, but a very soft option.

When I think of some of the threads that have gone to town in the past!

Reply #5752 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

The club has just had it's best bit of news in years with the master coming back to coach it's juniors and they retreat to this. Why don't they put out a more positive spin then keep being defensive. It's hard to remain positive, even in Adealaide, let alone Melbourne when one of the greatest clubs of alltime, the other is West Adelaide and if you don't believe me check the records, are eating their own! I also agree how could they let Al Green go.

Reply #5754 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Isaac stated what his preferred course of action was...

Ask yourself why he would have taken the "soft option" instead, as you put it.

Reply #5755 | Report this post

Yoesemite Sam  
Years ago

"Familarity breeds contempt"...sometimes unfortunately.

"At least their talking about us"...sometimes there is negative press.

"Newspeak"...George Orwell 1984.

Good Luck South but I think this post will be even bigger, at least in the short term.

Reply #5756 | Report this post

Yoesemite Sam  
Years ago

Avanti, I said very soft option

Reply #5757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Y.Sam - you are correct and there have been worse things said and quietly removed about members of your club even, but I don't have the time to wait to screw around in court or persist with a PR lesson.

I haven't bothered with a terms of use statement prior to this week because I was relying on the ability of those within the basketball community in this state to contact me if they had a problem with something and deal with it reasonably rather than making demands over an entire discussion topic (I mean, my great Simon Kent joke has been deleted forever!).

Early in the life of this site, the Sixers requested that posts were removed (1 or 2 were actually defamatory in my opinion, though I couldn't quite see the same in the South thread) and they were taken out. A fair number of posts have been removed without any legal threat whatsoever.

Reply #5759 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Yeah..

Maybe not much alternative...

Who wants legal action if some was offered. Maybe none was anyway

Reply #5760 | Report this post

Yoesemite Sam  
Years ago

Issac, you have a great site and most of the imput is good, entirely opionated at times but that's what makes it such a good site.

for me forget the indivual slating and go with the numbers.

Your preogative to not post what you consider is not suitable.

Reply #5761 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Agree with what everyone has said in part or full, but no time to say which.

BUT please everyone consider this.... Why post negative crap, acute criticisms, belittling posts, inflammed arguments, seemingly denigrating remarks, or outright name calling?

Personal opinions and feelings expressed with an amount of decency or respect seem acceptable ... some of these in the original South post I did not think were said this way. Currently there are some close to disgusting remarks in Schools, Local and NBL forums, especially referring to "tossers" "dxxxxxxd" etc etc.

Let's think about our expressed views, positive or negative, and comment accordingly. Frankly, any club's problem should be aired in the Club, not public washing on display. If anyone starts kicking one club, all the rest of us suffer.

Get positive people, build your club, or go to another and build it, let the game prosper in an environment of positivity.... heavens knows after the Boomer's efforts this (male) sport is under closer scrutiny IMHO now!

God bless The Opals!! Now THEY deserve a FULL page article in the paper and highlight our SA stars in that team!!!

Reply #5762 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

So the post is removed but the South president can call people "Gutless Wonders". I suppose that comment just somes up how South are heading. It all starts from the top. What makes me laugh is a lot of the "trash talking " came from within South.

Reply #5763 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

I think you made the right decision Isaac. IMO it makes south look even worse than what they already do if anything.

Reply #5764 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac. The thread was very reasonable and as a former coach looking to getting back into coaching again this year it just looks plain bad on South from my perspective.

Keep up the good work Isaac!

Reply #5766 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Fine lead in to Whats hot/Whats not.....

Reply #5768 | Report this post

frocky  
Years ago

If south have the money to take legal action.. if they are that well off !!!!
how about reducing our fees

Reply #5809 | Report this post

saw  
Years ago

How about supporting your club externally and try to make changes internally!

Reply #5812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I play for south and i think rather than sitting on his kaboose and reading the ish thats written on this all day, our president should be out making our club better! (It's one of the worst clubs at the moment and I'm not afraid to say it!)

Reply #5820 | Report this post

Mary  
Years ago

Congratulations Isaac, I believe you handled the situation with your usual class.

Unfortunately in my opinion, the request to remove all of the thread only sweeps the issue under the carpet and silences all.

Constructive criticisms can be positive, if you are willing to check your ego out at the door.

Take from it what you will South and use it constructively.

Reply #5831 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

thats fine . any way that south thing was getting long!!!!!

Reply #5842 | Report this post

south-fan  
Years ago

well if the south management team think that by wipeing the bored that it will be out of sight out of mind they should has so many people have said think again, it just add's to the worst club tag!

all the best to don he is his own man
and he will do what he does best,but one man is not a club,the snr; team whilst scanlon is so called in charge
does not exist so all they have to look forward to is a wooden spoon,

we will be looking to where al go's at least he add's cred/respect to any club and team,and south should remember that,

Reply #5853 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

So South recruited Don - I thought that they would've wanted to go forward.

Reply #5858 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

They might want to have a chance to win a few more championships. He has won a few and I bet Mr. Assist you were not in them! From memory South haven't been in any finals since he retired. Do you think that is a coincidence?

Reply #5868 | Report this post

south-fan  
Years ago

do not go there and say don coming back is not a move forward it is by far the best training those up coming
jnr's will have my son was a jnr in the last premiership side he still look's back at that with pride and respect (has i do) for don and all he did,I wish the father's of his new team get to see there son's win a premiership (it won't be because of the club it will be for don).

Reply #5945 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Damn, I'm away from a PC for a week and come back and all hell has broken loose.

Shame I missed it - always enjoy a good South Adelaide chat.

Reply #5955 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Yeah Moses, upwards of ALOT of posts, including one (or more?) from the President. Basically some people not happy with South, its commitee or its Junior Development Officer!

Reply #6142 | Report this post

dailafriend  
Years ago

4 week's 2 go b4 the silly season and we don't even no what's happening
does any body at south care? have spoke to 2 former snr;nobody at south
has even rang them 2 c if they are available or not,some body give south a ring see if there home,

Reply #6158 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Apparently coaches and teams will be announced on the presentation day, which just happens to be Div. 1 Grand Final Day. On the ball as always.

Reply #6160 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

Div 1 Grand Final day shouldn't be a problem for South they knew they wouldn't have any team playing so why not have it that day.

Reply #6169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wont be going to my own presentations that day because I'm interested in watching friends and opponents play in their grandfinals... what were south thinking making our presentation day grand final day!?

Reply #6202 | Report this post

matty  
Years ago

pretty sure there mens team didnt even play in the preseason comp last year! shows where they are at!and i dont believe they even have enough numbers to fill a squad next year! from what ive heard from a reliable source, their team will be under 20s and bunch of nobodys!

Reply #6203 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Over 700 reads does this make it the longest thread of all and does this meam more people are interested in what South Adelaide do, or are they just taking advantage of South being at the bottom of the pit? It looks like its getting to crunch time. When you get to the home stretch you had better make the right decision or its finished. Is South close to being finished and how are they to be saved?

Reply #6213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The longest thread on Hoops SA has 300 replies and 3500+ reads (3500+ since I put in the read counter that is).

Other threads have had 128, 117, 99, etc replies.

This is the 16th most read topic since the counter was introduced. There were some big threads early on in the life of the forum too.

The SOUTH ADELAIDE topic that was removed at the request of the club was also very widely viewed and replied to.

Reply #6216 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Well Isaac, if you added the two together (the current thread and the deleted one), how many reads is it?

The counters on these are great. You've got a future, dude.

Reply #6236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Certainly loads of reads -- people love confrontation. Unfortunately a lot of the positive South news was removed with the original thread.

Anyway, further to your other comment, 100+ sites and a book bought by thousands of web developers around the world says that I have a past too. ;)

But seriously and as always, if you've got any suggestions on improving the site, let me know.

Reply #6239 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Let's keep this going and set a new thread record going. Something to get lesser clubs like North, Sturt, Woodville riled up. What about declaring that South Adelaide basketball club is the greatest club in the history of South Australia. There are more legends that played for South Adelaide then the rest of the clubs combined!

Reply #6302 | Report this post

hoopin  
Years ago

What about Simon Kent is the best player to ever play ABL

Reply #6305 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

Why don't you run an in-depth analysis of all the South div 1 teams still in finals?? Oh wait.....

Reply #6310 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

DONE!

Reply #6326 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Hey, Moochie, we don't bother even counting the little junior teams championships. The deal at South is that we prepare them to win senior championships which is what junior development is all about. Now if you get your rocks off, Moochie, on junior championships or making the finals of div.1 , whoopsie doo, South Adelaide wish your "junior" club all the best. In the meantime if you want to count South Adelaides senior men's championships you will need two hands! Me thinks with, who you know is coming back, we might need shortly to borrow some extra fingers from some of the other clubs who only need one hand to count their titles. Some of you don't even need one finger. It sounds like your club is one of them Moochie!

Reply #6350 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Hey Folks,

I think we can all see where this post is going and that is a lot of needless club slagging (not that there hasn't been a lot already). Its not good for the image of district basketball, especially with a fair amount of readers being outside the district compettion. It's not positive for any club that these potential players are getting a distorted view of what our sport can really offer them, which is largely, an opportunity to be the best basketball player they can be.

South have copped a lot of critism recently, some warrented some not, but if we keep going on with this thread I think we are tarnishing the reputations of some very good people (both at South, and if the thread keeps on, probably at other clubs too).

Although I dont agree at all with what Jay says (you need junior excellence to transate into senior brilliance), i think he/she is just a passionate Panther person sticking up for his/her club...I am sure most people out there can relate to this.

Lets get off South's back, let them sort out their issues with their members (fingers crossed those same passionate Panther people that have posted in the past volunteer their services to turn the club's junior results around), as it can only benefit the standard of the competition.

Regards to all as I step off my soap box....

Reply #6360 | Report this post

Snoopy  
Years ago

Jay if South are so focused on the Senior program lucky it's doing so well right now hey?

I think you should use both hands and one foot to get yourself a clue mate.

In S.A. Junior premierships especially Division One premierships is what makes your club. Seniors is one part of a club but considering 80% of a club's players are JUNIORS then yeah Junior titles kinda matters.

I think it is you Jay, who is jealous of the Junior success of clubs, especially those around yours. Maybe you should stop looking to the past (it's been a good 5 years since the Men competed for a title) and realise that South's Juniors are it's future and at the moment they are well behind the pack.

By the way considering the women's team had maybe one South Junior who contributed to this season's 5th placing it would appear South does very little to develop their juniors into Senior Championships. When was the last time the women actually won a title anyway!? ..........

Reply #6384 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Jay,

The only way you win Senior Championships is you buy teams. Look at your senior women! Tracey Braithwaite, Jenny Hagger, Kaye-Lee Elsdon (old enough to play masters) Deanna Smith. Even with all these players you still can't win a championship. Juniors leads into seniors and you have nothing coming through. You dont have a clue. It just sums up your whole club.

Reply #6389 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Liam is right. This is getting old and we should all move on. Jay, forget about the last two posts as you should be proud to be passionate about your club as that is what South requires at this point in time.

Reply #6395 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

Well Jay, as the predecessor to this thread was predominantly about South's Juniors and it's JDC - which then moved towards committees etc. - and as you pointed out was one of the biggest threads ever - I'd say unlike yourself LOTS of people care about the current position of South's juniors.
My comment was more tongue in cheek than anything (like the post above it (I hope!)), and Hoop Addict seemed to take it in the spirit it was intended, and even though I don't know who he is I'd guess that he was "South-aligned" (Addict???)
It may also have been a little baiting I admit, but no less so than your reference to North, Sturt and Woodville as "lesser" clubs.

If your attitude to junior ball is anything like those of the people in power at South, then unfortunately I can see why the junior program at South has taken a turn for the worse recently.

Reply #6413 | Report this post

Itellu  
Years ago

true to say u need a jnr; development program in place all clubs do, but since souths last premiership were has it been,I can think of two south player's who have gone on to play at a higher leval in recent seasons,Simon kent and steve pilkington of recent development's and quickly
and sign al 2 coach the snr;team it's ur only chance 2 save ur club
green/shipway ticket ;we will c????

Reply #6498 | Report this post

SJ  
Years ago

Why wouldn't South have tried to get Ninnis to coach the mens team? Had last year off, is now out of contract with Sturt, club legend etc.etc. Is this too obvious or am I way off track?

Reply #6507 | Report this post

Itellu  
Years ago

again in saying that why did he leave in the first place? he may have been a club ledge but has a coach we think al is the way to go seeing scanlon has taken the hint and thrown in the towel the only good thing he's done all season,

Reply #6525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a 12yr old heard that their club was all about seniors, i don't think u'd have much of a club left...

Jay altho it's great ur so passionate about ur club, get a grip and seriously think about the rubbish ur typing mate

Reply #12748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754