(Mod: Defamatory.)

Reply #68549 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Probably coz Willie Farley doesnt put in at both ends of the floor....lol

Reply #68550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: There's a better way to express your opinion than that.)

Reply #68556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are all FOS

Reply #68595 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Compare Jakes statline to that of Mick Hill last night, out done in every catergory while playing almost 12 minutes less than him.

Jacob is a liablility unless Brett is on court to yell at him.

Jake must sure think a lot of his shooting ability to take that many crap shots time after time.

Has any one got his stats for the season past?

Be interested to see his fg% and his to count pg.

Reply #68609 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Kent Brockman...

2002 3.1ppg @ 35%
2003 8.5ppg @ 41%
2004 12.7ppg @ 38%
2005 12.2ppg @ 36%
2006 13.6ppg @ 38%

Holmes is very solid in many areas of the game, but that FG% has to improve.

Reply #68612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he may be scoring, but he is taking too many shots to get them, which is not good for the TEAM!

Reply #68620 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Thanks Jasmine a sub 40% fg% for someone who takes most shots in the paint is terrible.

Would like to see Jake moved in to Goorj town at years end for his own sake and for that of the sixers.

Reply #68652 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oscar's Christmas present for Jacob was a Sydney Kings t-shirt signed by Brian Goorjian saying something like "Jacob, you know I'd love to see you in the purple and gold. Say hi to Paul (Rees). Brian"

I don't know if I want him getting 15 RPG against the Sixers, but I do think Jake would be pretty suited to a Goorjian team - he's done pretty well with the Boomers given that he's still so young.

I think his main weakness (FG%) just really stands out when he's made one of the offensive focal points for the team. When he's the fourth or fifth option, he's less likely to be forcing the shot, and more likely to be getting on the boards and playing defense - both things he very rarely gets wrong.

Reply #68655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Jake contracted next year with the sixers??

Reply #68682 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Would Oscar like to see JJacob leave he Sixers? It could be a great opportunity for him to realise his full potential.

Reply #68689 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think so - he's certainly never said as much. The present was just because the guys needle Jacob about wanting to be a King - he does Boomer/Kings training/shooting drills apparently, picked up a few other things from those camps, etc. (I think those are positive things too - he obviously has a lot of personal motivation.)

Reply #68694 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Forget drills etc, jacobs shot technique is very bad. he shoots a low % action (basic physics, what goes up must come down) with such a flat action. Needs to correct the mistakes that STURT junior coaches & AIS supercoaches have not been able. Sad to see his technique & % from a guy who has had the best opportunities from a young age.

Reply #68704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is shooting at 38% FG bad?

Can we compare that to other players please...

Reply #68714 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Absolutely they are positive things Isaac. Its great to hear he is drawing on a wide range of ideas to come up with drills and training techniques to improve his game. As you have stated previously his FG% seems to suffer most when he is one of the main scoring focal points. If/when Willie, Brett & Dusty are scoring well Jacob seems to be able to slip under the radar and get some easier shots. Its when he feels that its up to him to score that we see the fade aways and poor shot selection come into his game.

Without breaking any confidences has Oscar made any comments about Phils coaching? Has he said things are still as good as previous yeras or is he starting to feel as though the messages from teh coaching staff are getting a little stale? Would Oscar entertain a move to another club to try his luck in a different system?

Reply #68720 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

"Without breaking any confidences has Oscar made any comments about Phils coaching? Has he said things are still as good as previous yeras or is he starting to feel as though the messages from teh coaching staff are getting a little stale? Would Oscar entertain a move to another club to try his luck in a different system?"

lol , without breaking any confidences !! Why dont you ask Oscar on the Blog page of the Sixers website Statman ? Im sure Oscar would tell you about his favourite pairs on underwear too :p

Reply #68723 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

LOL - Ill pay that Skyhook - Thought it might be worth a try

Reply #68725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not my place to say - but I will say that he's never bitchy about anyone in the team. He talks about this and that, things that happened in a game or training, Reesy stories, etc.

I think that anyone recognises that Phil's style is distinct from that of some other coaches and has its disadvantages and advantages (like any other coach). e.g., considering the ages of some of the Sixers roster, and the pre-season workload of some players (the guys in NZ, or those going to Boomers camps, overseas, etc) we've had a pretty good run with injury. Most of the missed games recently seem to be more precautionary than "too injured to play at all".

A difference he mentioned recently was that defense-oriented training I mentioned further up (or other topic, can't remember). He said it was harder than their scrimmage sessions and that he thought it was a good change (and that he told the coaches that).

In another thread, Statman, you mentioned Cat - there's some lost leadership right there. I heard about one game when Cat was still here - Sixers had a crap first half. Phil put in some positive words in the changerooms and then left for a minute. Cat spoke up and let them all have it - it wasn't all OK, they needed to stop playing like shit and put in more effort.

I've hinted at it before, but I'll spell it out a bit more. I think Jacob is the type to develop himself as much as anything. Oscar needs more pressure, in the way that I need deadlines to up my efficiency (take away deadlines, and I slack off). As an example: towards the end of his main contract, he had one year left. He was being offered an extension, but wanted to refuse it so that he felt like he was playing for his contract in that last year. Instead, he ended up taking an extension so as to facilitate a pretty decent paycut for the betterment of the roster, otherwise they wouldn't have had the money to fit in whoever it was they were trying to sign.

Reply #68729 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Thnaks Isaac.

Just shows I suppose that different things motivate different people. Its not neccesarily a bad thing to say someone should be traded away to get a better opportunity - sometimes its glaringly obvious that a change will bring positive results.

As for deadlines - getting rid of this website would help mine! HA

Reply #68748 | Report this post

Dennis  
Years ago

It is frustrating that a potentially great player as Jacob has such a basically flawed shooting action, resulting in a very low FG%.

I was at the New Years Eve game and he missed his first 7 shots some of which were simple open jumpers on the edge of the paint.

I see in the Brisbane game he was 3 of 14.

Besides the obvious flaw of not enough arc/air in the shot, his elbow forearm alighnment is nothing like vertical (see "Shooting - Gaze.com.au for the simple mechanics of good shooting technique). With the elbow starting out to the right etc, he's always going to be pushing across the ball on release to some extent.

He's a great defensive player and rebounder and keeps the ball alive in offence I just hope it's not too late to become a reasonable % shooter.

Reply #68762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingray,

If you have followed Jacob for as long as I have then you will know that before he had his bad leg injury at the AIS he was a great shooter. His club, state and SASI gave him the right direction and he worked very hard at it. In fact you would be hard pressed to come up with a better shooter at Under 16 and Under 18 level. Unfortunately when he was out for many months he did a lot of shooting off 1 leg while the other was in a cast and his shooting went from great back to only OK. He has never fully recovered from it. Whenever his current ABA coach helps him out with individuals, he improves dramatically and looks something like he did before his injury.

Please get your facts right before you take an uneducated swipe at the many good people from all around the State and Country who helped him out when he was a junior!

Remember that he made a name for himself at the Albert Schweitzer tournament in germany as an Under 18 where he was in the All World 5. He was chosen in front of many current NBA players! His offensive output was amazing and he was only average defensively.

Reply #68816 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

If my math is correct, this is an interesting stat :

Holmes FG$ 2005-06 -

Away : 43%
Home : 34%

Reply #68824 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Jacob has often said he sometimes enjoys playing away as there is not as much pressure on the team with everyone expecting them to go down

Reply #68896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you expect to lose you often will

its a mind set

more i hear about this team the less i like they need to be motivated

Reply #68918 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754