Isaac
Years ago

Paul Arnott replaces Colin Thompson

Have been waiting for this to become official before I put it up, and it was made public yesterday it seems.

Paul Arnott is the new Competitions Manager at Basketball SA. He starts up on March 14, replacing long-time employee Colin Thompson.

Colin will continue to work in a reduced capacity for a time alongside Paul to ease in the change.

He has a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) degree with honours from the University of Adelaide, together with significant experience in all aspects of basketball from a coaching, administration and playing perspective, having been a member of the Forestville State League men's team from 1993 to 1997.
The announcement on BSA site

Topic #6072 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like a good positive decision.

Reply #68756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well at least Forestville will keep on getting home finals

Reply #68769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great choice. Atleast its someone that has a clue about basketball and how to run it.

Reply #68770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but where was the job advertised or is this just another case of "jobs for the boys"? I thought BSA were changing. Doesn't seem like it so far.....

Reply #68799 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Why the need to go negative?

They have their man, Paul will do a fanastic job in this role. He has great people and organisational skills and many contacts throughout SA and Australian basketball.

Instead of taking cheap shots why not congratulate a true nice guy of the game on getting the recognition he deserves.

Well done, Arnie. I for one support you 100%

Reply #68805 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with Colin Thompson it's the board and committee's he work's for that is the problem. Paul is a great bloke but he will have the same problem's unless they change the way things are done. Congrats Paul!

Reply #68808 | Report this post

Uncle Rico  
Years ago

Come on anon back to Earth.

This is a huge coup for Basketball SA. Paul is overqualified and would be taking a huge pay cut. He is truly passionate about local basketball and is also very fair.

Why advertise when you can head hunt an outstanding person to fill the postion. Congrats to the Assoc.

Reply #68815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Arnott was great for forestville, so i suppose that means that he's gone...

Reply #68818 | Report this post

Anon 68799  
Years ago

I wasn't going negative at Paul, just the organisation he is now employed by.

I hope he does a great job and may it be the start of good things at BSA.

Just querying, was the job advertised publicly, or just to those who they wanted to apply?

Reply #68819 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I see he has resigned from Fville as Basketball Manager.

Reply #68820 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Congrats Arnie!

Good work tiger!

Reply #68833 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

congratulations Arnie!

Good luck with your new role.

ps. will you be allowed to silently patrol this site anymore, as i hear its off limits for BSA staff...?

Reply #68835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville to continue to get Nationals Championships.

Forestville to continue to receive all finals games.

Forestville to continue to recieve money from holding the Lighting games.

Forestville to have all their State Champs games at Home.

Forestville to still be able to get around the Salary Cap.

Forestville ...

Reply #68904 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

It never ceases to amaze me how negative and sour some people can be. I have never met Paul but I have only heard good things about him. I'm sure he'll do a great (unbiased) job.

Reply #68910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats Paul and good luck
(and I hope the clubs will alow you to update the sporting pulse ladders as soon as possible after the games........)

Reply #68912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Politics Politics Politics Politics where ever you go. How often does the best man/women/person get the job?

Reply #69021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey anon (#69021)

I'm sure you think you're snide, sarcastic comments were funny but other see this as a serious topic.

And that being said, as has been posted Mr. Arnott is definately over qualified for the job.

He's put himself on the line by taking on the second most ridiculed job in the organisation and I'm sure will do a fantastic job.

Show me proof of politics being involved in this selection or that someone else more deserving should have got the job and I promise to never post on here again!

Lucky for me you never will be able to.

Reply #69024 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Show me where the add was placed so that all people had a chance to apply.

Reply #69031 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

This is not the government.

Reply #69043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They head hunted .. why do they have to advertise? They went out and found the best person for the job instead of advertising and sitting on their hands waiting to see who'd bother to apply.

Reply #69056 | Report this post

Ooh Ahh Lew Ahh  
Years ago

You the man ARNIE!!!

For the love of the game. Big career move, loss of coin etc. Hope you do real well, and shut all the above spankers mouths!! Just goes to show that finally someone is doing it for the right reasons and for the betterment of the game here in SA.

All those who know you support you. Well done again, from one of the old EAG ballers.

Reply #69079 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Dear Anon 68904

Forestville to continue to get Nationals Championships... I thought BA decided that

Forestville to continue to receive all finals games.... Obviously your team doesn't make the finals or you'd know about Pasadena. Port Adelaide, and the Dome also always have finals.

Forestville to continue to recieve money from holding the Lighting games... They don't. It's BSA's stadium not Forestville's. They make money (ie the difference between purchase price plus cost of sale and sale price - not that much really) on bar sales and canteen sales - big deal

Forestville to have all their State Champs games at Home....They don't have any more home games than any other team whose stadium is used in the State Champs (unless you seem to think Gawler is also Forestville's home court)

Forestville to still be able to get around the Salary Cap.... I wouldn't have a clue about this however I always understood that finding ways around salary caps was the first rule of any administration in every sport with salary caps anywhere in the world!!

Incidentally, do you have a view on Paul Arnott (B Eng), former Sturt Junior & Forestville Junior & Senior, current Forestville Basketball Manager, SASI coach, former U16 state coach, BA study tour recipient and pleasant human being being head hunted because of his immense skills in this role, becoming the Competitions Manager or do you just complain?

Congratulations BSA and Paul

Reply #69086 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

'Just goes to show that finally someone is doing it for the right reasons and for the betterment of the game here in SA.'

love them or dislike them, I think you will find that the Yvonne Milbanks, Colin Thompsons, Rodney Ridley's of the world were doing it for the right reasons and for the betterment of the game.

Not knocking Paul Arnott I'm sure he will do a fabulous job but to say that there haven't been others who haven't done it for the right reasons or the betterment of basketball is just plain wrong - and an insult to those who have gone before.

Just look at the time above and beyond the call of duty and their pay packets those people have spent supporting the game we all love.

Reply #69102 | Report this post

Susan Ross  
Years ago

Tony,

Obviously you never worked with Yvonne then.....

Reply #69107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am in no position to judge Paul but from what I have heard/read and observed he appears the type of person we need in basketball. My concern with this, in light of the current review of BASA, is why make an appointment when we have no idea what is the future shape of the organisation nor any idea of what administrative structural changes may occur. Given the outcome of this review is imminent it is strange to simply go out and recruit a person into the same position when the future shape of that position is unknown.

Reply #69108 | Report this post

Uncle Rico  
Years ago

because anon someone needs to schedule games

Reply #69114 | Report this post

Uncle Rico  
Years ago

because anon someone needs to schedule games

Reply #69115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doh! and we need a full time appointment to do that for a couple of months. There are other options! It is all too easy to say we need a straight replacement - by doing this have we impacted the scope of any restructure. From memory we had a stand in umpires co-ordinator until the final position description was finalised and the position filled. I am glad you don't run my business Uncle Rico!

Reply #69122 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

Susan you are wrong about that - long association with Yvonne always found her capable, knowledgable and approachable.

Right back to when she was stadium manager at Bowden.

She was also UIC at Athol Park on a friday night and many a good young referee were guided by her in their early careers.

Reply #69123 | Report this post

Uncle Rico  
Years ago

Anon, they wouldn't have attracted someone of Paul's qualifications for the job if it was just for a couple months.

How has it impacted on the restructure? haven't the other employees have remained. Those overseeing the process wouldn't allowed it if they had forseen a problem.

Anon do you really own a company? I think you might be pulling my leg!

Reply #69128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rico don't waste your time.

Some people will never be happy no matter what. BSA currently has the best Administrator in S.A. handling all matters and if he's ok the appointment of Paul Arnott I think it's very safe to suggest Paul will have a position long term in the organisation.

Anon you would find that all other state basketball associations have at least 3 or 4 people doing the job that Paul has just been appointed to. I don't think us having ONE person to cover that workload is going to hamper any restructuring of the organisation.

Just relax mate, change will come and Mr.Arnott will be a very important part of that change.

Reply #69137 | Report this post

Jiz-a-poo-loo-za  
Years ago

Well done Arnie.... Basketball SA is in safe hands, a lot like KBs safe hands when hes jacking up a 3 when only a 2 is required to win the game.

May your new career prosper, unlike Pauly Shore, whose career tanked with films like "Son-in-law" and "Bio-Dome"

Reply #69290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the arnott

Reply #69520 | Report this post

DS  
Years ago

Say goodbye to Arnie, and hello to "Biscuit", thats his new BASA name.
Good luck we know you will do well, just dont get soggy!!!!!!

Reply #69522 | Report this post

Rodman  
Years ago

Good Luck Paul with your New Job

Reply #70618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754