Isaac
Years ago

Breheny to Townsville?

Can't let this one go past without posting. Grantley Bernard has hinted that Adelaide 36ERS assistant coach Steve Breheny could be a shot for the Townsville Crocs coaching gig vacated by Ian Stacker, and it's not the first time that I've heard the suggestion.

It's a quick mention, but you'll find it here in the Herald Sun.

One name already connected with the Townsville job is long-time Adelaide 36ers assistant coach Steve Breheny.
It wouldn't be inconceivable for Breheny to be re-partnered with past assistant-assistant-coach of the Sixers, Scott Ninnis, who's already up in Townsville, surely?

Were good odds offered, I'd bet on at least one Sixer player or coach moving to QLD next year!

Topic #6091 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Cmon Isaac you can not say stuff like that and not back it up.

Spill the beans I say

Reply #68938 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Yeah Gower and Tony Rocca (conditioning coach) are going - ink is still wet !

lol;)

Reply #68940 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Isaac, who might the player be?

Reply #68941 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I heard that Ninnis is trying his hardest to secure the position too.
Can anyone see Breheny leaving Phil's side???

Reply #68950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nutwork,

Burgess is probably a bit above the NBL. General consensus on OzHoops from Cairns fans suggests that he might not be back. Taipans have loads of money.

That frees up an import position. Cairns also has Melvin Thomas on the way out as a power forward. I don't know if Kane Oakley is starting material. Boodnikoff and Cattalini are ideally small forwards, right? If Burgess went, they'd need a PF or C you'd think.

Dusty Rychart would be attractive to other clubs, and he's unhappy with the first offer from the Sixers. So, he shops around and the Taipans could comfortably outbid Adelaide for his services.

It just seems like a reasonable projected outcome (for Cairns, that is).

And, as I've said before, as crap as it would be to lose one of your best scorers and your best rebounder, the Sixers could then start Oscar or Nashy, and split Dusty's money on a C and/or back-up PG.

Haven't heard anything to suggest it's on the cards, but at interesting odds it'd be worth a gamble.

Reply #68961 | Report this post

kingman  
Years ago

If this happens Phil will be stuffed, who will he talk to while sitting on the bench????

Reply #68962 | Report this post

Katie  
Years ago

Steve Breheny out as assistant coach and takes the Townsville job and KB comes in as first assistant with a changing of the guard.

KB to take over from Phil in 2007-08 or 2008-09

But that's assuming Phil Smyth and Kevin Brooks are on speaking terms

Reply #68965 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

That's also assuming KB wants to coach at an NBL level.

Something you are up for KB?

Reply #68968 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

KB, top player in his day but an NBL coach? Not shaking opposition coaches/players hands after matches? talking trash in pre season games? He is not the messiah, he can be a very naughty boy!

Reply #68969 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Dusty to Cairns, Rees is surely in his last year = Finally a centre!

(Hopefully one that doesn't break down or head to Europe mid season)

Let us pray the new management are chasing Schenscher as hard as the Dragons are.

Reply #68970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nutwork management will chase if the coaching staff are interested in the player

have you stopped to think it might be they haven't been chased cause Phil & Steve weren't interested.

Reply #68971 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Townsville definitely need a shake up but I don't think the coach is the full blame - some egos need some stroking

Reply #68973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Rob Rose was coaching up there anyway? At least that what he says.

Reply #68974 | Report this post

Intrigued  
Years ago

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't Phil and Steve be interested in big Luke S? What has changed in the last 34 years that may have changed Phil mind? He did give him a boomer spot before his college time and since then he has improved out of site.

Unless they (Phil and Steve) have spoken to Luke S and he has already priced himself out of the ball game?

Reply #68976 | Report this post

Intrigued  
Years ago

Opps that's 3 or 4 years rather than 34 years.

:-(

Reply #68977 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Kingman

Phil can talk to Hambour and Gower. They are always there. LOL

Reply #68982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754