Anonymous
Years ago

Loyalty to Players v Recruitment

My son plays for a VERY strong club. His team recently played in an interstate tournament where they took a squad of 8 players. His coach indicated he would've liked to take more than 8 players but didn't want to promote any of the Div 2's. This is despite the fact that some of the Div 2 players have been in the Div 1 squad; the most recent being in the last winter season.

It is no secret that additional players are being sought for this squad from outside the club.

I am aware that some of the Div 2 parents are very annoyed with this situation - they have paid their fees, their boys have attended practices, gone on the interstate trips, etc. They see it as a big slap in the face for the confidence of the Div 2 players. Some are even talking about changing clubs! (Although this may create the same situation in the club they join!)

Do all clubs operate in this manner or does my sons club have the luxury of being able to choose players from around the metropolitan area (and state!) as they are so strong?

This behaviour will lead to some its teams being untouchable in their divisions (well, some of them are now!) as many of their opponents have nowhere near the skill level.

Topic #6099 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

which clubs is this. If you are going to have a major winge you might as well name the club.

Reply #69025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are really that silly that you need to ask what club?

Reply #69027 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I dont believe clubs have any loyalty to players - they are there to win. thats what district basketball is about - Div 1 winning. I cant count the number of times that spots have been filled in a team from outside the club when there are loyal, committed players who are aspiring to advance waiting in the wings. I guess this happens in most clubs, but as a parent of a child who feels they will never progress... it sucks.

Reply #69030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When a coach goes out and recruits, does that mean he can not build with what he has? Is he out to make a name for himself at perhaps a national level? For me the fun of junior coaching is taking the hand you are dealt and trying to mold them into a good team. Some years you get a good team and some bad. Some coaches also follow the most talented groups in a club to build up wins.

Reply #69053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hang around until under 20's, you should be a div 1 player by then.

Reply #69062 | Report this post

itsacaseof  
Years ago

is there any clubs out there that have loyalty to all their players ..........
i dont think so, makes the argument mute

Reply #69067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have the 'disgruntled' parents bothered speaking to their coaching director?

Or is this just somebody who is trying to stur the pot?

Some clubs do understand that in order to play at Div 1 level you need to ber able to compete with Melbourne players. While other clubs are happy to try and compete with SA clubs.

Reply #69080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree there is no loyalty to players. it just depends if your the flavour of the month. iv'e played div 1 since u10's and have gone to the classics and nationals and train out at sasi. but yet for 2nd year of 16's where i expected to maked div 1 didn't, due to 4 first years picked ahead of me. not wanting to blow my own horn but i have spoken to other clubs and the reaction i received from them is WHAT? i have now changed clubs and in div 1 but if i stuck around i wouldn't have lasted to 20's. i also think there should be zones, and what ever zone your in that's who you play for. it will even out the competion and see some strugling clubs get thier heads above water.

Reply #69082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone sturting the pot me thinks

Reply #69149 | Report this post

takealook  
Years ago

re (69082)you should ask what you need to improve on to make div 1 before jummping ship then you would know why you were put in div 2,we all know who u r A.B.see u next weekend and i will tell u why.

Reply #69153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the initial post there were some interesting words - "are being sought"

What does this mean - poaching?

Takealook - if your club is so interested in developing players and you have a clear reason why this player was put in Div 2 then I would have thought this should have been communicated with him and help him "develop" to improve in this area (why does he have to ask - why is he not told!)- or is development limited only to those who are already walk up Div 1 players?

Reply #69194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh no not the "p" word again

Reply #69197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im afraid anyone who thinks loyalty to players should outway recruitment is in dreamland and kidding themselves....loyalty may be rewarded in Reserves, Div 2 or 3 but when recruitment will improve a a clubs top team why wouldn't a club recruit...they would be stupid not to.

Reply #69201 | Report this post

takealook  
Years ago

the player was told many times but thought his speed would get him to div 1,instead of using his right hand or putting his body on the line when needed the kid is a good player but mum and dad think he is a great player that dos'ent need to know how to do a oppisite hand layup or play defence.

Reply #69211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you are not getting what you want CHANGE clubs - improve your chances - but do not be surprised if it is the same there.

we were promised a div 1 spot at the same outfit - and still waiting - I do not know how they can promise and not deliver

the sooner the 1 div 1 team per club is dropped the better

just rememmeber you need to weigh up is div 2 better than scrubbers div 1????

Reply #69231 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

if you have not been one of the chosen ones at that club - forget it - they only want state / sasi players - sure stay and play div 2 or 3 - but unless you have been blessed - forget div 1

Reply #69233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so #69082 you only play basketbal for div 1 not because you love the game. Instead of harping on div 1 challenge yourself to working on what you need to learn to get in to div 1 and beating the first years. And #69233 there are many kids playing div 1 for clubs that do not even have a state or sasi player in it.

Reply #69247 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754