Fritz and Sauce
Years ago

Oscar the Slouch (Foreman?)

Surely this is the make or break year for Oscar Foreman. We have given Jason Williams 4 seasons too many, lets not do the same for big OF.
Already people are calling him Oscar the Slouch.
If he doesn't fire in 2004/2005 we need to clear the 80K spent on him and look elsewhere. He has all of the physical attributes to be a star but does he have a muscle beating in that thin frame of his. He should be the next Matt Nielsen, not the next Kym Taylor.
Last resort grow the pony tail and be as Jerry Dennard as possible.
Hopefully he will be Inform-man!!!

Are we alone on this or are you guys going to be soft and sit on the fence. Its black or white no grey on this one.

Fritz and Sauce out.

Topic #614 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Do you SERIOUSLY beleive Oscar is on 80k a year.

I am sure Isaac will back me up on this, but Oscar would be closer to 40k than 80k.

He has taken at least 2 pay cuts that I am aware of to fit others into the team.

Yes, even Oscar is aware this is his season to either make himself a name, or an also-ran in the league. Hopefully Phil will give him his opportunities.

And PS it's Forman, not Foreman....if it was Foreman I would be hitting Isaac for some Aussie Idol tickets through his Uncle John :)

Reply #5896 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

or hitting his uncle George up for a low fat grill??

Reply #5898 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

This kid can play, he showed great form at stages of last season, 17pts in the first half against Dwight in West Sydney ring a bell? At half time of that game, Dwight was interviewed on fox and was not a happy man!

You can't be serious about $80k.

Forman will have a big year, he is to talented and to overdue, and this year will give him a better chance than any previous. The league hasn't got to many big name big men left, with Bradtke ageing, Nielsen gone, and Wade Helliwell looking ugly as ever!

His stats have improved with every year he has played, watch him do it again.

(Mod: Helliwell gone too for what it's worth.)

Reply #5900 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

true he has been given alot of chances and he hasnt really shined.

Reply #5903 | Report this post

oscar is one of the most talented people in australia so i dont know y people r sayin he aint close to 80k.

and ps dont make jokes bout him he is better at bball then any1 out there

if you r being a dick to FORMAN learn to spell his name first.

Reply #5908 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully this year Oscar is given a good shot at running with his finishing form of 2003/04. I think a lack of consistent minutes have hurt him as much as his own development/nerves.

As I've said before, in games where he was given 24+ minutes last season, I think he averaged 10 and 6. Obviously I'd like to see him given more time on court, but I'd also like to see him push himself at every opportunity.

His shot was on during the latter part of last season but there are still areas that he needs to push:

I'd like to see him foul hard when he does (no "and 1": make them regret coming inside if that's what's needed).

Also create a shot on the baseline (he's very good from that position but tends to only shoot when he's open).

Plus drive to dunk without fear of an offensive foul because he's quick and has height (better to give up an early foul in an attempt to build your confidence than not try it at all in my mind, but the coaches might suggest otherwise).

And needs to get back on the boards which is something I think he had more focus on in earlier seasons.

I definitely agree that this is a crucial year for Oscar, but he has been signed until 2005/06. Further, I'm not sure that there is any talent with height in SA at this time; maybe in a couple of years there might be more local options, but right now Hambour is just out of the squad and he's not necessarily a dominating replacement. Any other big men? (Pero in Europe, Jacob already signed, Bradley an import. Krause? Who else?)

I know Oscar well enough (duh) to know that he works hard and takes it seriously - what he needs is a tough post-up trainer to get the aggression and confidence into him because talent is one half of the game and a killer instinct/confidence is the other half.

Reply #5912 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Several times last year Oscar played first half, and was one fo the hotter players out there, however seemed to be a splinter collector in the second half.

In press conferences (which the 6ers only run when Fox cameras are around), I asked Phil a few times why Ozzie dudnt get more of a run, especially in the ones we lost, and Phil always made the comments maybe he didnt give Ozzie the run he deserved.

Given the team structure this year should be a lot more settled (ie Jacob NOT playing at centre), hopefully Ozzie will see a lot more court time.

Reply #5919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

r u boti, yogee?

Reply #5920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, he's not Boti.

Reply #5921 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No, I am not Boti.

My media committments are I have a media company, and I freelance for a few websites, mainly OzHoops.com.au.

I also write the occasional article for Pro Basketball Today, and have an article in this week regarding the aftermath of the Olympics in the mens program.

I will also be covering the Lightning for WNBL for wnbl.com.au this upcoming season, and have offered my match reports (NBL and WNBL) to Isaac for this site if he wants them.

Reply #5923 | Report this post

Fritz  
Years ago

We didnt mean to spell his name wrong, we just wanted to make a point. Sorry to all of you on the spelling police payroll.

Reply #5933 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, you make your point more effectively when you get your spelling and grammar correct. Trust me, I have made myself look more foolish than normal more than once due to a typo, or incorrect spelling.

Reply #5936 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I'll repeat my earlier sentiments on a separate post: Scott Whitmore should spend some time with Oscar. If OF had SW's moves, heart and determination, then he'd be lethal.

Reply #5957 | Report this post

Fritz  
Years ago

pull ya head in yogee, the point has been made with or without correct spelling.

Reply #5987 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Correct spelling or not, I would take Oscar Forman with only one leg than a fully fit Jason Williams thanks very much.

Reply #5997 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

He'll come good.

He has perfect size and athleticism. He has great shooting touch.

What he lacks is confidence (well he did last year) and a bit of toughness and aggression.

I see a bit of Brett Wheeler in his development. It took Wheeler years to transorm from a skinny bench warmer to a legit NBL player. Martin Cattalini is another good comparison in a way. He had all the ingredients but wasn't producing. He just needed the confidence and when that came nothing could hold him back.

Oscar has the right ingredients. He just needs to have a few breakout performances to give him the confidence that he needs and he will be a valuable player.

Reply #6016 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

He also needs to add 5-8kgs of muscle to his frame to compliment his height

Reply #6017 | Report this post

Hey Yogee - I'm glad I've passed the mantle of being called Boti to you :)

I am bewildered at the amount of people who knock Oscar. He is young, and has shown solid development in the limited opportunities he has had to date.

Taller players take longer to bloom, and besides he has been playing out of his favourite (and promised?) position due to lack of size.

Does he need to bulk up and develope better post moves? Sure, but does anyone remember any other Adelaide bigmen who blossomed late and benefited other teams?

Would hate to see Oscar move on and crucify us down the track.

Cheers,
WG

Reply #6023 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

If Boti knew I was being called him...well....poor him...lol

Reply #6026 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754