Bizzy
Years ago

4 Pistons Named in All-Star Game

The Pistons (40-8) became the first team with four players in an All-Star game since the Los Angeles Lakers sent Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel to the 1998 game in New York.

Full Article

What are everyones thoughts on this? I myself am a big fan of them all being named. As they have been the best 4 so far - however I will agree that they probably aren't going to be suited too what the "fans" think all-stars should be eg flashy etc.

Topic #6143 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I honestly don't see how Gilbert Arenas isn't an All Star. They still need to replace Jermaine O'Neal so there's a chance he'll make it, but I'd imagine they'll replace a forward with a forward.

Carmelo not making it in the West is tough as well. Two guys averaging comfortably over 25ppg not making the All Star teams is very interesting.

Do the Pistons deserve 4 players? Give me Redd or Arenas over Rip. The other 3 I can accept.

Tough selections on both sides this year.

Reply #69439 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The article says that only the Celts, Lakers and 76ers have ever had 4 all-stars.

I'm sure the Bulls had 4 in 1991 0r 1992 - MJ, Pip, Horace and BJ. Anyone confirm?

Reply #69440 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

The Doc,

To my knowledge (without looking this up) Horace & BJ were both All Stars in '94, when Pippen won the MVP (in his red shoes!) and while Jordan was playing baseball. Horace may have made a team in the '91-'93 period, but I'm almost certain BJ's only appearance was in '94.

Reply #69441 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think you are right. 3 all-stars, not 4.

Cheers

Reply #69442 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Doctor,

The year you are thinking of that Pippen, Horace and BJ made the team was 94 when MJ was retired.

Reply #69443 | Report this post

mr black  
Years ago

Hoop Addict, Rip is still one of the most uderrated players in the league. He more than deserves am All Star reserve spot

Reply #69450 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Obviously the coaches agree with you. I just think Arenas & Redd are having better seasons & are more deserving.

Hard to deny someone averaging 28.2ppg (to go with 6 assists and 1.7 steals) a gig on the All Star team.

At the end of the day, at least 2 deserving players from each conference had to miss out.

Reply #69452 | Report this post

Tough for Tayshaun. He's probably the flashiest Piston as well, strange he was left out.

Reply #69464 | Report this post

johno  
Years ago

what are peoples thoughts on all-star games. personally i would much rather watch both teams play a normal style game, rather than the flashy no-defence style that seems to always be related with all-star games. i think it would make for much more interesting viewing, although i guess with so little running on the result, and players just wanting to have fun....i think it leads to a nothing game, as was perfectly seen in the NBL all-star game this year

Reply #69480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754