Isaac
Years ago

Holmes makes Commonwealth Games, Forman backup

Not sure if it's been made public yet, but oh well. Jacob Holmes has been named to the 12-man Commonwealth Games Squad. Oscar Forman is one of three alternates who will step into the team should someone get injured.

Congratulations to both!

Topic #6175 | Report this topic

mr black  
Years ago

i think you scooped the papers with this...

Reply #69693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Media embargo ended 9 minutes ago, so I think I'm OK!

Reply #69699 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Full Boomers squad

CJ Bruton
Brad Davidson
Russell Hinder
Jacob Holmes
Luke Kendall
Sam Mackinnon
Neil Mottram
Brad Newley
Paul Rogers
Tony Ronaldson
Jason Smith
Mark Worthington

Neil and Craig Mottram are only the 2nd ever set of siblings to be compeiting in different sports at the same Commonwealth Games.

Congratulations to all players selected.

Reply #69719 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

i still believe Gary Boodnikoff should definately be in the team!!!!
Ronaldson should not be there!
Boodnikoff should have stayed with Sydney and he woiuld be a certainty..its pathetic really!!

Reply #69721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats with rogers getting in????

Reply #69726 | Report this post

Years ago

Where the hell is Anstey?

Reply #69727 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

First of all, has Anstey retired? Unless he has said no, there is no way he couldn't be picked.
Suprised that Vanderjagt ins't there. Young, tall and was starting playing some good ball towards the end of the season.
Is Glenn Saville out because of injury? You would think he would be in there. Funny that the only Boomer in the Foxtel ads for the Games won't be playing!
Ronaldson shouldn't be there, Rogers shouldn't, not too sure about Hinder and why is Kendall there? Oh right, he plays for the Kings...which makes it suprising that Anthony Susnjara isn't in the squad.
It will be interesting to see who out of those guys will make the Worlds. Newley, Bruton, Smith are all locks, maybe Sammy Mac, but outside of that, it should be tight to make it with Bogut, Nielsen, Andersen(injury?), possibly Bruce and maybe even Markovic (thats if BA has forgiven him), etc coming in.

Reply #69742 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Anstey is off to Europe - money over pride for his country. Saville out injured. Vanderjagt might be one of the alternates?

I think Hinder and Kendall are legitimate inclusions. Not sure about Ronaldson and Rogers to be honest, but we're missing a lot of players who aren't available.

Reply #69746 | Report this post

TH  
Years ago

the fact that Paul Rogers was selected is a disgrace in my opinion.

2006 Perth 2 15 7 47% 3 5 4 9 3 2 2 1 14 5 1 7

these numbers represent his 2005/6 campaign... although they have no description - you don't have to be a genius to work it out!

Reply #69747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty four: Why is Luke Kendall there? Seriously? Maybe ask why Brad Davidson is there at the same position. Perhaps there isn't a wealth of PG talent in this country?

Reply #69766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally wouldnt have picked kendall,Holmes or worthington... whats Gorjian been smoking? we definately shouldnt bank on gold. Holmes has got basicly no strong post moves, he would get outmuscled internationally (even to the weak commonwealth squads)... all he has is an ok fadeaway. Kendall and worthington are just decent players... thats all, no boomers players. I actually agree with Ronaldson, hes got experience... hes a big game player, he has guts and quality post moves... couldnt move him out of the key unless u had a wrench. My fear is who's gonna back him up at his position.... Holmes? its scary! Vanderjagt should be in over holmes... I agree with Brad Davidson, only in the absence of Brett Maher however... i see Davidson as Mahers much lesser equivelent but can still hold his own. Sam Mackinnon is a gun and id put him in every national team til his legs cave from under him... Jason Smith the same deal.... i think we will still PROBABLY get gold... but my heads still shaking over atleast 4 of the selections, i hope gorjian has picked up on something i havent then.

Reply #69767 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

good on CJ, he couldda gone to europe but hes helping us out.

Reply #69768 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Helping us out... as an aussie, id rather have players who want to play for us intead of ones who just help out.

Holmes, not near this level yet.

Reply #69771 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

no cat?

goorjian is putting a team out there with an eye of the future - world champs and olympics.. seriously that team should still easily win the commenwealth games.

Sav injure
Anstey didnt want to play - euro dollar
bogut - no chance of getting out of his nba gig

Reply #69787 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

Boodnikoff should be there with Vanderjaght, Davidson, Catallini. No way Rogers should be there thats just bullshit, he might as well take Paul Rees. Rogers WAS a good player. Now he just takes up space.

Reply #69792 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

How can anyone say Holmes shouldn't be there? He is really one of the best players in the squad. He is a good rebounder, can defend any position on the court and do it well, handle the ball, get to the stripe and convert, and even though he shoots a terrible percentage, does have a decent jumpshot.
If you compare him to veterans of the league, then yeah he isn't on the same level, but he is still young and plays as a fourth option on a good team, so you can't always go by his numbers.

Reply #69798 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Bogut should come back. Stuff the Bucks. This is the Commonwealth Games. There's nothing bigger. I'm so looking forward to Australia beating up poor countries who don't invest money in their sport, and us winning gold gold gold in the swimming amongst other sports ..... ;-)

Reply #69801 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

dont rate holmes

Reply #69811 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

obviously someone who should know does rate holmes

Reply #69819 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's worth remembering that Holmes was probably our best rebounder on the tour of Asia however many months ago. There are times when his deficiencies come to the fore, but if he's the fourth of fifth offensive option on court in a squad like this one, they won't be exposed and what the team will get is solid rebounding, passing and defense.

Reply #69824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations Holmes! Well deserved.

Well Done Oscar!

Hope all goes well.

Reply #69827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Pero?

Reply #69842 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Will Rogers pass the required tests for athletes?

Reply #69852 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

lol to moses, why dont we all leave our well paying jobs and do something that can easily be done without us.

Reply #69854 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

dont get me wrong holmes is talented.....i just dont think hes boomer material... yet. obviously he wouldnt have made the team if the overseas players were in, and we should still win gold... ys vanderjagt out of the squad? whys luke kendall and worthington there? it just racks my brain.... kendall and worthington better not be in the worlds squads or were in trouble (they just nopt up there)

Reply #69855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought that Hinder was a Kiwi? Can anyone please clear this up for me.

Reply #70283 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Hurley ,

Kendall and Worthington are both good young prospects.
As frustrating as it is to watch them beat us (Sydney) you have to admit BJ Carter, Kendall, Worthington & Barlow are the best young players in the league right now.
They deserve a run with the OS boys out.
Kendall can play "D" and knock the 3 ball and Worthington has shown he can defend 3 positions (much like Jacob- but more reliable jumper) and run the floor well.

Others i would include in best young talent category are Newley and Rhys Carter (getting better) and Vanderjagt and Clint Reed.
Over the next few years we will lose Saville, Bruton, Mackinnon, Ronaldson,Rogers,Anstey, Smith - so let the new guys play i say.

Cant wait to see the new breed of Australian college based guys come thru.

Reply #70289 | Report this post

Bownce  
Years ago

haha at the no pero. Actually he did alright against NZ yes/no?

Reply #71879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one on this whole thread mentioned Brad Newley, I think he could well be a surprise. Unlike many juniors, he didn't grow up in an awesome team, he had to do it all, rebound, score, dribble, defend, so he's a great package. His ability to create his own shot will certainly help this Boomers side. Go Brad.

Reply #71888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754