Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Reserves Finals

If I'm not mistaken, Reserves finals start this week. Does anyone have the lowdown on what's happening? I've read plenty of posts on just about every other grade but the Div2s (or should it be called the ABA Benches?).

Tips, who to watch, who should win, etc etc. Give us something!

Topic #619 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

North boys are good. Very solid group of youngsters. Eze can go for 30+ any night he wants.

Woodville too are very strong. Balanced group of shooters, slashers, distributors & big men. With Benny Todd back & in form, it makes them even more dangerous, as he frees up their shooters (Birmingham, Pascoe etc) with Hammond & James Smith doing the dirty work inside.

Forestville and Sturt are probably one notch below them, but they're 3rd & 4th. Norwood really depends on who they play, but aren't a bad side when Lomman coaches. West are solid, if not spectacular.

I'd expect a North v Woodville final.

Dive 2 women - any of Eastern (though without Deb, they could struggle), Sturt, North & Norwood can win on their night. I'd say its a 4 horse race for the title, just depends how they play.

Reply #5983 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Watch out for the Flames in the mens.

Reply #5986 | Report this post

balh  
Years ago

i think mavs women might struggle, with just a few players missing, deb, rachael, mandy etc. though they still might suprise everyone

Reply #5998 | Report this post

byte  
Years ago

Forestville are playing norwood (mens)tomorow night in a knockout final, id expect f'ville to win...but im not really sure whos playing for either team.

West are also playing sturt, not sure whos should win, coz like the other game not sure what sorta lineups will be playing.

Reply #6031 | Report this post

go sturt

Reply #6137 | Report this post

go little piggy wiggy

Reply #6138 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Hoop Addict, who's this Eze guy from North (ie what's his name)?

People should get out and watch these guys. It's good stuff, the play is often ABL standard with a lot of ABL players, and it costs nowhere near as much (which is important for us family dudes).

Reply #6150 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Eze is Erik Burdon. Has got a bit of press on the Forum for his poor finals outings in ABL. Would be keen to make amends, I'd say.

Any ideas on who won the games tonight? Perhaps Lommax can fill in the details.

FYI people - from what I know, these are ROUGHLY the lineups (feel free to correct me, anyone!)

Forestville - Dan Wilson, Wayne Haydon, Doug McDonald-Taylor, Peter Hoban, Will Smith, Matt Gange, Tim Smyth, Rhys Higham, Matt Sutton.

Coached by Brenton Campbell

Norwood - Andrew Webber, Daniel Lomman, Toby Schaftnaar, Matt Barker, Ashley Nitscke, Dylan Ford, Tom Cioffi

Coached by Ben Lomman (what happened to O'Leary?!)

West - Shane Crothers, Luke Walsh, Tom Slowinski, Adam Pearce, Lauri ?!, Shane Goulden, Leon Karvelis, Michael Furmaniac, Mark Ali, Joe Mencel

Coached by Corey McLean

Sturt - Michael Humphrys, Nathan Vaughan, David Shepherd, Marcus Hakendorf, Shane Breheny, Adam Benson, Tom Finkemeyer

Coached by Rick Castle

Woodville - Ben Todd, Gary Birmingham, Greg Pascoe, James Smith, Jarrod Hammond, Marcus Ng, Zane Reeves (sometimes?!), Cam Wilson (sometimes?!)

Coached by John Meyer

North - Erik Burdon, Michael Zorich, Bronson Kies, Tom Rowe (sometimes), Steve Hastings, Ryan Franceschinis, Dallas Quigley

Coach by Matt Sparkman (?!)

I'm sure I've missed some, but you get the general jist of who is playing!

Get out to the games folks, it promises to be a fantastic finals series!

Reply #6161 | Report this post

hirk  
Years ago

Fville easily beat norwood, 30+ in the end, sutton seemed to be incontrol of the game in the first half leading many fast breaks and making some big buckets, eagles bigs easily out rebounded norwoods team, webber looked out of sorts, fville smaller guards did a good job on him, Fvilles team defence was too good tonight,
Fville looked good, but id still expect a north v woodville GF.

Reply #6163 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Sturt boys won by 30 in the end. Up to the third quarter it was neck n neck until sturt made a run and were up by 14 at 3 quarter time. Then just blew west out of the water and ran home with a W. Next should be good with Sturt taking on Forrestville. Did anyone else see the game...

Reply #6172 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Flames got smashed by 40. Paul O'Leary is in perth for work. Forrestville were the better team from the tip off. I dont think Norwood could have played any worse if they tried. No one could make a basket and Forrestville controlled the boards leading to easy transition baskets.

Reply #6175 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Of course, I forgot Lachie Parker & Mark Fuller for Woodville.

I hear the girls games were Norwood by 50 over Tigers, and Sturt over Forestville by 30-odd. Meaning there wasn't one close game for the night. What excitement!!

Hopefully next week will be more closely contested.

Reply #6176 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Yeah i just spoke to someone who was at the sturt men's game and they siad that they won by 30 odd and that benson would have had a tripe double. About 30 points they said. Obviously the 6er program is really helping him. Well done to the sturt boys. Goodluck next to both fville and sturt.

Reply #6195 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

I think North are coached by Anthony Kelly.

Next week should provide some interesting matches:

North v Woodville (SF2)
Forestville v Sturt (SF1)

From what I've heard, these have been the 4 form teams all season so the Finals will hopefully produce some good basketball viewing!!

Reply #6196 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think you're right, deak :-).

I fancy Woodville to take out their semi against North, and Forestville to take Sturt. These 2 teams played a few weeks back, and Forestville ran out quite comfortable victors.

Reply #6197 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

With Vera's passing and her being so close to the boys in green, should be interesting to see how they handle the news.

They'll either crumble or bond together and smash the competition to bits.

Reply #6235 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

watch out for woodville

Reply #6558 | Report this post

ahem!  
Years ago

gee mr warmups you spelling needs work rumour isn't spelt with a e!

what a lack of class act you are

Reply #6615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know times of games for finals?

Reply #6654 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

All State League finals are available here.

Reply #6660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

watch out for those u18 div 2 SOUTH GIRLS !!!!

Reply #6687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one cares about u18 div 2 finals you loser

(Mod: Don't be such a tool...)

Reply #6692 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think that was a reference to the fact that South played their U18 div 2 side in reserves for part of the season.... you loser :P

Reply #6694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754