Isaac
Years ago

Pirates future announced Wednesday

From the Pirates website:

Club Chairman, John O'Brien is expected to make an announcement regarding the future of the Hunter Pirates NBL at a press conference to be held next Wednesday, February 15.
I'm now accepting guesses on what will be announced. First answer that most closely matches the announcement wins bragging rights.

My guess: Pirates relocated to Singapore.

Topic #6204 | Report this topic

bballer  
Years ago

my guess Pirates fold totally

Reply #70006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guess they will completely fold, then the lisence gets to Goldcoast

Reply #70007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sponsor from mining area - maybe local CAT dealer - westrac i think it is these days (although not sure if kerry stokes has a share of the wildcats)

Reply #70010 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Heard a rumour they were looking to relocate back to Canberra.

But my money is on that they will fold. And come out with some sort of looking to re-join the league in a year or two once they get better financial backing.

Which will ultimately end in them selling their license to Gold Coast.

Reply #70030 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

damn Isaac that is what i would have picked too

Reply #70035 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

My guess is they get an extension to consolidate a couple of smaller backers which will enable them to continue next season.

Reply #70044 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

same i reckon singapore allthough canberra may not be out of the equation

Reply #70055 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

They will give out an ultimatum ie. 'If we don't get a big sponsor/backer before April 30, we will fold.'

Reply #70066 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

they will announce they are taking over the 36ers...will then have a joint licence.

Fortunately this will not affect either team as they will both only play the minor rounds this will be followed by a very brief entry in the finals series by the 36ers.

At which time all the other teams will laugh and draw straws to see who gets to kick our sorry asses at home in our one and only finals game.

I will once again bury my head in my hands, and get ready to take all the crap offered by other supporters.

Then in 2007/08..the 36ers will sack 3 different boards..blame a mutitude of players, coaches and assistants...and eventually fold..get bought by the local guy..and start afresh as the Adelaide "hope" (you will be allowed to nominate your own ending to the word after each game..eg Adelaide Hope "fulls"..."lesses".."no hopers"

Of course i realise i should win the award with such an acurate foretelling of the future, sadly, Issac will be forced to hand it out before mine all comes true.

sob sob..theres always next year

Reply #70087 | Report this post

wbf  
Years ago

http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/team-tipped-for-singapore-as-pirates-capsize/2006/02/13/1139679536032.html

Reply #70091 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Way WAY off beam, all of you. Here's what I've heard will be going down:

- for 2006/07, Hunter will become the Pirates - literally. Geordie Cullen and Aaron Trahair are also going to be at this press conference, with peg legs, parrots on shoulders, and saying "Aarrrgh" a lot.

- This guy will be announced as coach.

- in 2007/08, the team will rebadge itself and be known as the Pirate Hunters. They will indeed relocate to Singapore and players will spend their non-basketball time cruising the Strait of Malacca as bounty hunters, bringing pirates to justice and claiming large reward fees as part of their salaries.

- in 2008/09, another rebadging will see the team known as the Punter Hi-rates. Ricky Ponting will come on board as owner of the team, and supplement the team's payroll by legitimising gambling as a revenue source. People will be able to gamble directly with the club on its performance - but if they (the gamblers) lose, they will be charged exorbitant rates of interest by the club (hence the "Hi-rates").

Some may say these are risky business decisions, but I prefer to think of them as innovative.

Reply #70100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754