everyone feeling hard done by over the weekend - I know it was tough - but

remember 1997 / 8 approx

wnbl
nbl
afl
netball

all in one year

no reason why that cant happen again - so lets make it

move on - unfinished business - start planning NOW - we have great talent coming up

Topic #6232 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think too (two!) much of that current talent is going to be in Townsville Queensland next year! I wish I was more confident in that aspect.

And when I say "two!", I mean Newley and Ingles. Those guys should have been Sixers.

In 2-3 years Kersten will be coming out of college and a potential replacement for Maher at the point - he's yet to have any contact from the club.

Reply #70306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Oscar was smart Isaac he'd be going too

Reply #70314 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Nice Isaac, you're obviously good at those cryptic crosswords

Reply #70332 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

How many decent recruits we've had in the last 5 or 6 years?

And by decent, sorry this is cruel, I don't mean David Cooper. Sure Cooper plays his role well but he virtually came here because nowhere else would give him more than 5 minutes a game.

The only recruits we ever get are local juniors (Holmes, Forman, Hill) which we are bound to get some of simply because they are local. But we're even finding less and less locals will sign for us.

Other recruits are guys who aren't really wanted elsewhere (Nash, Rychart)

The only real prize recruit from another club in recent memory is Charles Thomas.

Our recruiting is abysmal.

Reply #70349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac if you were a junior looking to have a long career in the league would you look at coming to adelaide where you might, just might get some minutes.

trainings consist of scrimages, shoot arounds and gym work, your place might be up for grabs with the next 8/9/10 guy at the coaches whim or a toss of the coin.

you listen in time outs to be told these are only training drills, don't worry about winning just don't lose by too much. who cares if we finish 3/4

these type of messages would not fill me with a lot of enthusiasm to be a sixer - if i was hopeful of a NBL career and thought myself lucky to be the team perhaps yes. but if i was a ingles, kersten, newley i'd be heading for the wide blue yonder.

Reply #70351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you had seen other posts, by me...

You would have read the exact same post as what you had done

thinkaboutit

Reply #70356 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

i think Ryvchart is an overacheiver for his talent... so is nash, im sure that the 36ers just have a way of making average players look good. Maher however is a great player.

Reply #70361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or that they IMPROVE the players and so they play better here under the very good coach PHIL SMYTH and the exceptional players

Reply #70375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pessimism out the door...........

It sure is, that's why a few youngsters are seriously looking overseas and to College in USA. Last season's trend of non playing by 6ers bench warmers and scarf knitters of the crochet club was not impressive.

I hear these young hopefuls are going to toss a coin to decide which College Scholarship to accept! "If it works for Phil it must work for me!"

Reply #70379 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Absolute classic. Still laughing.

Reply #70384 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

70351 - how do you change that?

Reply #70386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unforunately Isaac I would have to say a change in coaching cause in the years that they have been here the juniors have not been developed.

I am amazed at how hoodwinked the general basketball public are by the act.

I agree with Stephon or Statman who said elsewhere that Rillie paid tribute to the work done by Dunlap and Smyth reaped the rewards.

Find it mystifying to say the least that Brehney is the Academy coach why have an academy if they are going to go elsewhere. If the coach of the academy is one/of two who aren't setting tasks and goals for the senior team.

Give the Academy to KB and Sapwell, they both have so much to give.

Have a talent scout working towards rebuilding our stocks. Why are we developing the juniors who can go off and make a name for themselves elsewhere.

Why are we not nuturing our youth now - if we aren't a legit contender for the championship I'd rather lose games knowing that the 'kids' are gaining experience than allow our stocks to run so low that we will have to buy a team from outside then you have the problems of loyatly etc.

1) it would be a priority to put the academy in the hands of coaches who WANT to develop our youth.

2) hire or create a position of a recruiter.

3) make south australia basketball a vibrant happening place.

4) if we don't rid ourselves of the coaches. the new heirachy must sit down with them and tell them all their negative vibes should stop. If they can't reinvent themselves as coaches move aside - don't be blase and because you have a contract and because the team makes it to the playoffs for one game doesn't give you the right to sit back and allow things to happen.

Change comes from within
be proactive not reactive (but i'm afraid our sparkling duo don't even react - if they did they might call a time out when its warranted)

Reply #70388 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I read this thread title, and thought maybe people are going to band together to wedd out the endless doom-sayers and negativity that is so easily found on this forum.

No such luck.....

Reply #70393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all of this getting to ya?

Wondered why you posted what you did with the Fellas 'screwing up'

Reply #70401 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Lol....the day I let a basketball forum get to me is the day I check out of the human race.

I just think we could all do with a reality check, and remember there is a lot more wrong with the world than not winning a championship.

Just sick of negative attotudes everywhere, when people cant come up with valid reasons, or valid alternatives.

Reply #70408 | Report this post

Anonimouse  
Years ago

Yogee,

Didn't you previously leave the forum because of what some people wrote?

Reply #70449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everyone, calm down...

Reply #70524 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754