Isaac
Years ago

Funny The NBL Blitz is back!

The NBL has just announced that the NBL Blitz has returned with the pre-season tournament to take place in Cairns from 18-19 September.

The Blitz will be sponsored by ABC Learning Centres and marks the first official pre-season schedule since 2000.

ABC Learning Centres get game tickets, clinics and merchandise in exchange for their sponsorship which they will distribute to families within their learning centres -- this should further promote the sport and league.

Here are the details and rules:

ABC Learning Centres Blitz

VENUE: Bendigo Bank Basketball Complex (289 Aumuller St, Manunda, Cairns)

DATES: 18 & 19 September 2004 (Teams arrive 17 September)

FORMAT:
- Two pools of six teams each (12th team to be the Cairns Marlins as the ABA National Champions).
- Each team plays three first round games.
- Top four teams in each pool advance to Quarter Finals
- Winners of Quarter Finals advance to Semi Finals.
- Winner of semi Finals advance to Grand Final.

Tournament Rules:
- 2 x 12 minute halves
- 2 team time outs per game. One each half (all 60 seconds)
- 2 minute half time break
- Clock stops on each basket last 2 minutes in second half
- 15 minute break between games
- 4 personal fouls before disqualification
- 4 team fouls per half before bonus
- Extra period 3 minutes with no timeouts (unless unused timeout in regular game). One minute break between the end of regular time and extra period.
- Clock stops on each basket in last two minutes of each extra period.
- All other rules are as per new FIBA rules (i.e. 24 second shot clock, 8 second backcourt rules, etc...)

Topic #629 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

I may be missing the point here and if so, perhaps someone might enlighten me, but why subject all the teams to so many games pre season. I don't know how important these games are and how important it is to win them, but the teams while participating are risking injury just one week before the season starts. Do the teams play hard to try and win (and risk injury in the meantime) or do they take it easy (and give the games little importance in the meantime)?

Reply #6145 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think the idea of the Blitz is to get the teams into some "match play" before the serious stuff begins. It's reduced game times, and whilst I am sure everyone has the intention to win, oit allows the coaches to try new plays, different line ups etc.

Hopefully the Blitz turns into the success it has always promised to be, and gets on the road so hopefully us poor Adelaide fans (All Star game to be held in Wollongong in January) get to see some of these great basketball events.

Reply #6154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's also a first step for a potential sponsor looking towards supporting the actual season. I'm not sure if we should be worried that it's ABC Learning Centres stepping up to support basketball again (they sponsored the finals series last season) -- are they simply the most passionate/aware or are there no other companies interested?

I think it's another opportunity to create interest in the sport as with the AFL's Wizard Cup.

Also, along with the All Star game, it will be good to cycle these two events throughout the country. It'd be great to have something like the Blitz in Adelaide -- good media coverage, they could take all the players for a spot of wine tasting (Isaac drinks and recommends Coriole!), etc.

Reply #6156 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

It is being held in Cairns, because it is one of the areas where ABC has a major exposure.

ABC Learning Centres, for those who don't know, is owned by Eddie Groves, who also owns the Brisbane Bullets, and is a very well respected businessman in Brisvegas.

Reply #6165 | Report this post

Ja  
Years ago

Is the event to be televised at all?

Reply #6187 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

foxtel mabe

Reply #6552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754