Anonymous
Years ago

Match Fixing

Hi, ive only recently been on this forum so I am unsure to how much you have talked about match fixing. I was wondering to what extent people think it happens. I have been told by a very reliable source that it happened yesterday night down in the Great Southern Basketball competition where an under 16 girls team (who hadn't lost a game all season) did not want a curtain team playing in the finals so they played like crap to ensure the team they were playing knocked the others out.
It became obvious at half time to the umpire as to what they were doing so the game was called off. There in trouble now and the coach has been suspended for 19 matches. Was this something the palyers wanted to do i wonder or are coach's stearing our young sports players into an unsportsman like approach to the game?
I am interested to know what you all think of this situation.

Topic #631 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Wow, that would have to be the quickest tribunal in history.

There JUST happened to be 3 tribunal members there to have a tribunal hearing??

And first time I have heard of a suspension being given out in games, they have always been given out in weeks before.

And if a referee had been following that team closely enough to know how well they play, they had a conflict of interest, and should not have been reffing the game in the first place.

Reply #6153 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

These days I wouldn't have put it past the kids to cook up the idea themselves.
I think the penalty is pretty harsh, but I guess now the example has been set.
You will never totally stamp these things out of sport though.

Reply #6168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re the "quickest tribunal", The game was played at 4.30pm, tribunal then met at 8pm almost 4 hours later, giving plenty of time to call a meeting as us country folk are quicker to act than the city! The referee statement? Do most of the umpires not know how most players play? We only have around 15 or so umpires in our comp so obviously they are going to know how we play and who the quality players are. Thanks Punter for your view, as for yogee you obviously dont know how things work in the country.

Reply #6243 | Report this post

Mr Robinson  
Years ago

Hello Boys and Girls

Today where going to talk about match fixing. But first lets look at the Scrambled Word Board.

OHW SERAC

Ok boys and girls who can un-scramble this word for today.

Ps. Seriously 4hours is a very short time for everyone to organise their arguments and is not fair on the coach. Also agree with yogee that the referee is not the one that should be bringing this to the attention of the association. He/she is to close to the teams involved.

Reply #6249 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No, I dont know how things work in the "country"...obviously kangaroo court would be the best way to describe it.

If these allegations were proven true and correct by a BASA qualified tribunal, the coach would have got more than 19 "matches".....19 seems to be a very unusual number in any context...most penalties go 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, then 1 month, 2 months etc.

Reply #6259 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

People are saying 4 hrs isn't long enough. Well I think it is better to hold the tribunal while it is still fresh in your mind.
I don't understand why to have it 4 hrs after is so unfair for the coach.
If the Referee dosen't bring it to the Associations attention who do you rhink should.
Look at BASA who would pass it on there if not the Referee. Some places during the week there is no UIC to overlook the situation.
I think good on them for being so organised that they can hold the tribunal straight away and get on with it.

Reply #6266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee, 19 matches is a season for us, so they wont be able to coach next season, and i believe that someone like that should not be coaching young teams, if at all after that, its a disgrace. Mr Robinson, "who cares", if u didnt care, why the heck did you reply?? You shouldnt have bothered! Im not the one who cheated here, i just thought you guys would like to know. Thats the way we handle things. How come the umpires are asked to vote for the best and fairest each week, as well as the MVP of the grand final if they're not allowed to be "emotionally" involved? I mean its just impossible to work out how you guys think. Just because you think you know all the rules in the book, you shouldn't come out all guns blazing and attack me, cause now you look like the fool, not me. The team was a one girl team with four others making up the numbers, if they had not played her they might have got away with it.

Reply #6279 | Report this post

x-factor  
Years ago

Can someone please tell me what exactly the situation was in this game. Don't have to mention clubs, but enough for everyone to get the jist of it.Was it a finals game? and if it was, I can't see how throwing a finals game could possible help you?

Reply #6331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok here it is, the basic facts :

Great Southern Basketball is down Victor Harbor/Goolwa/Pt Elliot etc. It is the week before the finals and "team a" u16 girls are undefeated. For some reason they didn't want "team b" to play in the finals (unsure of the reason). For "team a"'s last match before finals they are playing "team c". "Team a" favourites to win knew that if they let "team c" win then "team b" would miss out and not get into the finals.
There is one player in "team a" who is basically the team. She played noticably crap just so they could loose the match.

The umpire noticed the sistuation and called off the game at half time. A meeting for all board members was called and then the penalties were given out. 19 match(one season) ban was given to the coach who has been know for this kind of thing before. The underfeated "team a" were disqualified from the competion. There was no conflict of intrest as yogee thinks but as jirachi said it would be noticable if a player was playing under par.
I think the penalty was reasonable and the more harsh they are then people might get the point that its wrong and stop doing it.
If there still is any questions over what happened please ask.

Reply #6342 | Report this post

x-factor  
Years ago

Thanks Ananymous for clearing that up.Not sure what to think, cos it is just stratagy. I remember one or two years ago New Zealand loosing a cricket match on purpose(it was blatently obvious) to South Africa in order to keep the Aussies out of the tri nations final. No one seemed to care.

Also, in the Aussies first world cup win the Australian team deliberately made an easy run chase (about 100 runs) take close to the 50 overs to get so the team they were playing run rate wouldn't be too bad, in order to keep another team out of the finals. I can't quite remember the exact particulars but i remember we delibrately went slow to knock someone else out and so we could stay in........not fair some people would think, but we won the world cup so who's complaining. Its the same thing here. Having said all that, its probably not teaching our kids the right thing to do, but i still think a whole season ban for the coach is a bit unfair.

Reply #6344 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

I guess a whole Season isn't that unfair if the guy/girl has been up to these sorts of things before.
I guess x-factor there are two differences in what you are saying one is International sport and as you said the other is kids sport.

Reply #6357 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Ok, my apologies to one and all, obviously I should have just shut up....

Reply #6362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes because you obviously don't know everything like you seem to think!

Reply #6418 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Just on tribunals, I was invovled in one at the Classics in U16s back in 2000, the complaint was made straight after our game, and about 90 mins later after they had found a SA rep to sit on the tribunal, it commenced.

Reply #6455 | Report this post

Thomas  
Years ago

I think it is something that occurs in every stadium around the world, but to what degree can be debatable.
We quite often have the feeling of local umps taking it upon themselves to assist in teams winning/losing & it appears to occur to our club the most as we are extremely young & our junior program is so successfull that people hate seeing us win all the time (we won 4 out of 6 junior finals & as a club represented in 9 of 12 finals with 8 victorious).
But then again it could be seen just from our eyes & the opposition thinks they are getting hard done by?
In regards to the tribunal hearing, 4 hours is fantastic, we have a set time format of 24 hours before the sitting of the hearing & use BASA guidelines in regards to suspensions.

Reply #20606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754