Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Funny Autistic high-schooler scores 20 in 4 minutes

By KATU.com

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - An autistic teenager proved hoop dreams can come true. Jason McElwain is the basketball manager for Athena-Greece High School. For three years, he suited up and sat on the sidelines during every game.

On Feb. 15, the coach let him play in the school's final varsity basketball game of the season. What happened on the court surprised everyone.

Jason scored from behind the three-point line. Then he did it again. And again. In all, Jason netted 20 points during the last four minutes of the game.

The crowd went crazy, surging onto the court. Players and audience members lifted Jason onto their shoulders, with a big grin across his face. Jason's secret: stay focused on the game.

Video link here if you didn't see the TV news tonight. Super stuff.

Topic #6334 | Report this topic

wak  
Years ago

I see Canberra Cannons, Hunter Pirates, every VIC team barr Tigers, Newcastle Falcons, Bearcats, Rollers, Nunawading, Supersonics ... and dead people!

Reply #71378 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

omg ... there's the Grim Reaper with a Shane Heal name tag!

Reply #71380 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Im an autistic basketball player, i was labelled with autism at four... and success in basketball has taken me many years but as is iam a very good player now... but 20 points in 4 minutes? best i done is 20 in 30.

Reply #71387 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

it was nice too see.... shows that there is really no such thing as disability....

Reply #71392 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Apparently he hit 6/7 threes....

Reply #71399 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Bet the coach wished he gave him a run earlier in the season.

Reply #71403 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Forget the kid. I got a basketball icon. That's 3 in almost 900 posts! Wahoooooooooo.

Reply #71406 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Kids first possession was an airball from 3pt land! Soon got his eye in.

Reply #71412 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Yea say it on the news. great story, the crowd really got into it. BTW moses i got an icon after 120 posts, is that a record?

Reply #71421 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Took me over 600 posts for the first one - and I had to campaign harder than Mike Rann to get it too.

Reply #71425 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Yeah I also saw it on Channel 9... the crowd was going absolutely crazy, and that was after the first 3. When he hit his 6th I don't think I have ever seen more pandemonium. His last shot was with a few seconds left and that is when they stormed the court.

Reply #71433 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

I don't even have an icon, does this mean I'm not funny?

Reply #71434 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I wounder if you could put a price on a basketball icon? Issac could start up an auction on ebay for one and you get to choose which post you get the icon on...

Reply #71435 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I've had 292 post s and i don't think i've ever got an icon...

(can somebody check for me pls?)

Reply #71443 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac,

We need a new 'basketball icons' leaderboard to go with the starting 5 and posts leaderboard to give all us aspiring wannabee iconees something to aim for...

Reply #71488 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

this kid, this story is ......inspiring!

Reply #71505 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

just sensational, very touching story! what a legend

Reply #71563 | Report this post

i got an icon with my 4th thread which was about my 20th post. i win.

p.s if i had defense on me like that i bet i could get 20 as well.

Reply #71576 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

wow, thats real nice elg.
yeah, the d was so slack he shouldve just driven and 360 reverse dunked it, he shouldnt even be on the news. (just as stupid)

Reply #71579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #71604 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ELG, you couldn't hit 6/7 threes against Centrals u/10 girls. Show some appreciation of what the kid did.

It was a great story, not for the fact he drained 6/7 threes (which, by the way is massive) but because of the look on his face when he was carried off the court as a hero. This must have been the greatest day of his life, and will remain a great memory for the remainder of it.

Reply #71628 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Saw it on ESPN last night, simply amazing!!! I don't think anyone could have orchestrated it better, inspiring!!!

Reply #71686 | Report this post

Regular Poster  
Years ago

I got a basketball Icon for my FIRST post - ELG dont be a tool all your life .

You couldnt score 20 at a brothel with Michael Jordan bank account !!

The guy deserves the attention, which is more than i can say for you, with your endless negativity.

:)

Reply #71719 | Report this post

Baby Blue  
Years ago

I have got to agree with Regular Poster ELG you are a tool.

Do you even play

Reply #71731 | Report this post

Mr Blackwell  
Years ago

According to Channel 9 news in Melbourne from Friday night they are going to make a movie about the autistic basketballer.

Reply #72273 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Hey - you guys are drilling ELG, (fair enough) but not too many spoke up when Bullshit Artist was being a tool earlier this year!

Dewfinitely would have been a highlight of the kids life, wouldnt it?

Reply #72330 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754