Isaac
Years ago

Basketball Coaching Opportunities in Australia

I had an email yesterday from someone in the US asking about this type of thing. I wasn't sure that there were all that many positions suited to someone moving over to pursue coaching jobs.

Anyway, I thought it might be useful to see what people thought about the coaching opportunities in Australia - what possibilities are there for people seeking a full-time career, a part-time job or a more voluntary/hobby-type position?

Would anyone in the country have a full-time salary coaching at the ABA/SEABL level besides the AIS coaches?

NBL coaches are full-time. WNBL?

Private schools - very part-time?

District juniors - more or less voluntary spots?

Anyone care to provide approximate ranges of pay so that anyone interested in this field could get an idea of what they're getting into?

Topic #6383 | Report this topic

Jimmy Floyd  
Years ago

A clubs JDO could earn up to $25,000 - $30,000 part time (20 - 25 hours per week) and $15,000 for a senior coaching position, which would include coaching clinics at schools for Aussie Hoops. That would make up the 38 hours a week for $40,000 - $45,000 a year.

In South Australia the only ABA coaches to be full time would be someone like Bob Hunnerup at West Adelaide (or last season) and he supplemented his income by managing the stadium.

Wasn't Jason Williams's old man in the same situation at Sturt Stadium (before the fire) a few years back? Only other full time position I could see would have to include a clubs JDO or something like that.

Reply #71814 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

A friend of mine interstate coaches full-time. He has a senior QABL team, and during the day does clinics at schools, very similar to Bear Basketball. He also coaches a private school.

This type of 'multiple-coaching-roles" set-up allows him to coach full-time.

I think someone coming from overseas may find it difficult to acheive this without the network connections.

Reply #71823 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Jimmy, please pass on your source to West Adelaide. This is news to all at the club.
You must be smoking something and listening to 'Pink Floyd'.
Bob H would probably make a comeback if your story held any substance

Reply #72009 | Report this post

Jimmy Floyd  
Years ago

Hanging Round,

The first and second paragraphs are completely separate and different situations. If you have assumed something, well you have assumed wrong, I have not released any privileged information that may or may not be correct.

I didn't imply that anyone was on that income; it was simply a rough estimation that potentially could happen. Hunnerup has been a manager of a basketball stadium in the past and this has allowed him to act in the capacity as a full time basketball coach, am I telling a lie?

Basketball Club in South Australia have been known to hire a JDO on a part time basis, they offer the candidate a position of 25  30 hour per week working at the club (doing clinics, recruiting players and other administration stuff) and the other time as a senior coach to bridge the gap to supplement there income. And yes they have been paid well in excess of those numbers.

Reply #72015 | Report this post

Jimmy Floyd  
Years ago

Part 2

Last time I checked a clubs JDO and senior coach were different positions in a basketball club and I never mentioned anything about any income in the paragraph referring to Bob Hunnerup.

So please don't jump up and down and lambast me with out checking of the facts.

Reply #72016 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Chiil out Jimmy. You made the big statements. Bob H was/is the BSA stadium manager for 3 stadiums. He was also the ABA coach for West men. You may like to rephrase and agree that he was Stadiums manager and also filled in his time as coach.
I am not 'lambasting', just clarifying

Reply #72206 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

My name is Adam Sammin. I am interested in finding more about coaching in Australia for either men or women. Thhis past season I coached in Nebraska for a university, but I'm looking to do something different. Does anyone have an idea what assistant coaches make in the WNBL or in a professional men's league in Australia. Does anyone know of any openings? If anyone can help me out I would surely appreciate it. Also when does the WNBL season start?
Thanks again,
Adam

(Mod: If anyone would like Adam's email address to contact him privately, please contact Hoops SA and I'll pass it on.)

Reply #129571 | Report this post

Jeff Cable  
Years ago

Could someone please contact me if they have any knowledge of any basketball jobs in Australia that I could relocate and make a living. I have coached high school basketball in the United States for the past 17 years and would love to share my knowledge of the game.

Reply #326522 | Report this post

Green  
Years ago

Jeff,

Not sure wether you understand that a majority of coaches in Australia are vounteers and dont get paid.

Reply #326532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably looking at SEABL or NBL assistant level.

Reply #326535 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Most NBL clubs only run with 1 full-time assistant and the money isn't great.

Unless your a head caoch at NBL level in Australia you don't earn good coin...it is all simply for the love of the game!

Reply #326542 | Report this post

Dru  
Years ago

Adam or Jeff, My name is Andrew and i am a physical education teacher here in Sydney. I have played and coached basketball at a representative level for 15 years. I still play and will be the coach of a state league team in Sydney. I would love to coach over in the states, either high school or college. If you have any way of helping me out it would be very grateful.

Reply #447109 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:57 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754