Mike
Years ago

Funny RIP Vera Craig

Thought I would take the opportunity to let the general basketball comuunity aware that Vera has lost her battle with cancer.

Vera to most of us was the backbone of the woodville basketball club, and can only be described as irreplacable.

She will be sadly missed and remembered not only for her love for the club and the sport but more importantly her as a person.

Topic #639 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

My thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Vera's family and friends, and the Woodville Basketball club members, and the basketball community in general.

Vera was dearly loved throughtout basketball in SA, and her contributions will be very sadly missed.

Reply #6228 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

As someone who has dealt with Vera on a personal and professional level for many years, it's with a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye that I read this news.

Thanks to Mike for the posting. Isaac - thanks for the whole darn website and the opportunity for us to hear the news so promptly.

If anyone knows of funeral details, please post them and to the guys out there who know my true identity, please let me know. Thanks.

Reply #6232 | Report this post

faulse name  
Years ago

For all of the warriors teams left in the finals, this week if for vera!!! Vera was one the the first people that i met at the club as an new under10 player and was the back bone of the club for all of the time that i have been there. She wiil be missed by everyone. Thank you Vera, we will miss you!!!!

Reply #6240 | Report this post

Michael Anic  
Years ago

My thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Vera's family and friends, and the Woodville Basketball club members. Vera has been the heart and Soul of this great club. Vera i will be dedicating my game on friday night to you, and i will play just the way you told me to play 'hard but fair'back when i started here in 1993.

RIP Vera

Reply #6248 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Deepest condolences to Vera's family. I played temporarily at Woodville for only a month but in time was able to see just how dedicated and hard-working Vera was.

Reply #6253 | Report this post

cheltenham  
Years ago

thanks vera for the memories bavk in my teens playing church ball for cbc at bowden
RIP VERA

Reply #6263 | Report this post

Scott  
Years ago

Reply #6321 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

A large part of the club is now in a better place, Vera I owe 17 fantastic Woodville years to you, your friendship and advice will be sorely missed.

God Bless

Scott Whitmore

Reply #6322 | Report this post

GlitR  
Years ago

Thanks Vera for everything you have done for Woodville and basketball in general.
RIP

Reply #6325 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Thanks Vera for Woodville for decades, and for me over the last 6 years. You will be deeply missed. My condolences go out to Vera's family and friends, Basketball will not be the same without Vera. We will be playing our hearts out for Vera in the remaining finals.

RIP

Reply #6340 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I myself owe a lot to Vera - my condolences.

Her work to basketball development in SA is immeasurable.

I feel the Woodville club should dedicate a trophy or something like in her memory.

Reply #6371 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Vera's funeral will be on Monday, 2pm at Centennial Park for those who are interested.

Reply #6390 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Guys, I heard 2.30pm at Centennial Park, not 2pm, for what it's worth.

Scott (or any of the other Woodville guys) - log on and correct me if you know differently.

Reply #6496 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

I was wrong, 2.30 is the correct time.

Thanks Moses

Reply #6523 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

Do many of you realise the time and the effort Vera Craig gave not only to WDBC but to Basketball in general. With a gentle word and iron will she guided so many of us in the right direction.

She was dedicated to the betterment of the Club and anything she could do to make it better she would. But if anyone from another club needed something she would be there if she could.

Her emathy will be sadly missed. Her ability to still troubled waters and cut to the crux of the matter was well honed.

BASA awarded her life membership for her services to Basketball.

She also received the following

Volunteer of the year
'In appreciation for your valuable contribution to basketball
Vera Craig 2001' BASA

SACRA
The council of the SA Community Recreation Association Inc
Awards Honorary Membership
To Vera Craig
In recognition of outstanding and dedicated service to the St Clair Recreation Centre 19 August 1976

South Australian Church Basketball Association
Presented to Mrs Vera Craig
In recognition of outstanding service to the association

Vera Craig Rotary International
Outstanding Volunteer Service to the Woodville Community and the Woodville District Basketball Club

Sportswomen's Association of Australia (SA Division)
Administrator of the year 1996
Awarded to Vera Craig
For your outstanding contribution to the sport of basketball.

Australian Day Citizen Award

CBC
Cheltenham Basketball Club
Life Membership
Presented to Vera Craig
For Outstanding and Dedicated Service
10 August 1980

It is also a measure of the woman that these awards were stuck away in a box hidden in cupboard at the club. Not one of her awards were out in plain view. But any player award was given pride of place.

I have been privleged to know and work with her and be guided by her for the last 22 years. I know my world is a lesser place with her passing.

Reply #6565 | Report this post

This is sad news.

I haven't seen Vera for many years but remember her fondly as one of personalities of the game and one of the few reasons I enjoyed the trek to Athol Park.

Condolences to her family and Woodville basketball club.

Reply #6581 | Report this post

sixersfan  
Years ago

I remember Vera very well from back at the days at Athol Park when West and Woodville played there. Never have i met such a dedicated woman. My deepest condolences to Vera's family and the Woodville basketball club.

Basketball will not be the same without you Vera.

Rest in Peace

Reply #6595 | Report this post

faulse name  
Years ago

Went to the funeral today. A very touching ceremony. the entire place was packed out (two levels) which was a testament to vera. i just want to thank the family for allowing the basketball community to join the celebration of this great ladys life.

RIP VERA

Reply #6739 | Report this post

Tibor  
Years ago

Yes your right faulse name!

Not only did the Woodville faithful come in droves, but people from many clubs were in attendance! As well as people from BASA, & a few referee's as well.

I am sure the Woodville Basketball Club is appreciative of the respect that has been displayed from the South Australian basketball community

Reply #6759 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

As a new member to Woodville I did't know Vera that well, but she made my son and me welcome. After only dealing with us once Vera new my sons name, number and size of uniform whenever we needed new singlets ect. From the postings we can see how much Vera was loved.The world is sadder place withou her.

Reply #8389 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754