Shawn Marion, Phoenix
Brad Miller, Sacramento
Chris Paul, NO/Okla. City
Paul Pierce, Boston
Michael Redd, Milwaukee
Luke Ridnour, Seattle
Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix
Dwyane Wade, Miami

Iverson and Odom were on the 2004 team, were interested in playing again, but were left off the list.

Among those who declined to play were Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.
In addition, Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation to join.

Three young players will be added to bring the training camp roster to 25, with Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, Duke's J.J. Redick and Indianapolis high school star Greg Oden currently the leading candidates to get those spots.
More at ESPN

Topic #6404 | Report this topic

VC fan  
Years ago

Imagine making the USA Olympic Basketball team while still in highschool! i know it wont happen, but that kid must feel pretty good just to be put on a list next to some of those players.

Reply #72022 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

My team:
Billups
Bryant
James
Brand
Stoudemire

Bosh
Wade
Redd
Marion
Pierce
Howard
Paul

Reply #72024 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

which Howard..Josh or Dwight?

Reply #72025 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

My bad...Dwight.

Reply #72028 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

that kid is huge! Saw pictures of him, he does not look like someone who is still in high school! He can dunk, and he sure can block the hell out of the basketball! I would think he has a very bright future ahead of him.

Reply #72029 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Luke Ridnour? Mmmmm.

Reply #72033 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

3 true point guards and 1 true centre on the squad of 22... not to sure how that's gonna work.

My squad:

PG: Billups
SG: Kobe
SF: Bron Bron
PF: Matrix
C: Amare(out of position cause of only other centre is Miller)

BENCH:
CP3
Flash
Miller
Bosh
Brand
Melo
Pierce

Reply #72046 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Ridnour is a good distibutor of the ball - thats why he is there.

Bowen too is a role player who will help the young guys on D and not want shots.

Sportscenter guys last night were saying that Team USA is going to be an like an institution that develops player over the next 6-7 yrs . So Morrison and Reddick could be early picks for 2012.

Reply #72058 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Bowen should start in the 3.
If Ridnour is in, put a pure shooter on the bench too, like Korver.

Reply #72070 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

whats everyones take on the snub of Allen Iverson - a guy who expressed his interest to play?

Reply #72071 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Iverson will be too old and is not a team player - Bowen is.

For all the talent Iverson has, if he has a bad night he still shoots 26 shots and that can be devastating to an international squad.

I think Shaq should go as a player/mentor to the young bigs. Play 10-15 mins a game and intimidate the shit out of the rest of the world.

Garnett is soft IMO for bailing out. Its not like his team will ever win anything anyway- so he should play for USA.

Reply #72082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I saw of the last Olympic games, I swear Iverson was one of the few who played well for the US?

Reply #72089 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

I agree Isaac, he seemed to abandon his "shoot first" attitude and actually play a bit of team basketball.

Reply #72090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with 24's starting line up of.

Billups (1)
Bryant (2/3)
James (3)
Brand (4/5)
Stoudemire (5)

My bench:
Bosh (4/5)
Wade (1/2)
Morrison (2/3/4)
Marion (3/4)
Jamison (3)
Reddick (1/2/3)

the problem with this USA team is there, like already stated, is no legitimate big men or point guards. All players are great players, but there are too many 3 men.

i think seeing reddick and morrison in the usa team would be one of the best things that stupid country has ever done.

Also add kirk hinrich. aka mark price jr.

Reply #72204 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yeah I can't believe they would have someone like Carmelo Anthony in the squad, who complained about court time he got at the Olympics and was a real pain, and not have Iverson in there.
AI might shoot a lot for Philladelphia, but that's HIS team.
If people are worried about someone not passing the ball, then why put Kobe 'I'll shoot the ball 50 times if it means I'll I can score 30' Bryant?
Or even Michael Redd. I know he can shoot the hell out of the ball, but is a hog.
Surely, when picking this squad, they thought that when put in a situation like this they wouldn't be shoot first players, so why wouldn't they pick Iverson, who also is one of the leading assist getter, as well as being, if not THE, then one of the hardest working player in the L?

Reply #72215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should add ollie, corver or some other bad players!

just kidding! WHERE WAS TIM DUNCAN???

ps. the Imperial Room is terrible, nobody goes there cause other places are MUCH NICER!

(Mod: Blasphemy!)

Reply #72277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

disapointed in not seeing iverson on the team.

Reply #72781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754