Stephon
Years ago

Dusty gone?

Evidently it was reported on Channel 7 news that Dusty has signed elsewhere for next season.

I don't know who Dusty has signed with but I must say it was pretty expected with the 36ers needing change and Dusty deserving a decent contract after being such a proven NBL performer.

Dusty is a disappointing loss as he was one of the hardest working, consistent imports the 36ers have had.

Best luck to Dusty for the rest of his bball career.

Topic #6441 | Report this topic

pinko  
Years ago

anyone got news on this topic?? reply ASAP

Reply #72313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the 2 weeks up yet that teams cant approach players from other teams?

Reply #72319 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

The two weeks is not up but that has never stopped teams before and as alluded to in another thread, player's can get permission to talk to other teams before the expiration of the two week period.

Reply #72320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it's not Cairns. Soooo.... did the big shark stop sniffing and take a bite?

Reply #72338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dusty has gone to Brisbane and Bobby Brannen has been cut loose

Reply #72347 | Report this post

Stiffy  
Years ago

I can confirm he has signed with another team.

Reply #72363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about another country?

Europe maybe?

Reply #72371 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I would not be suprised JVG has money gallore and although I am sad to see Dusty go if it is true I would understand his decision.

Reply #72385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just on the radio, as mentioned dusty to bullets pending league approval. Sad to see him go, go after wells.

Reply #72424 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Today is another sad day in the history of the 36ers. Another day to ponder over in the future and wished things hadn't turned out that way. Some people will never learn.

Reply #72432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too am sad to see him go but ...

Personaly I am disapointed in Dusty,

I think he is greedy in the extreem.

I hope one day he will learn there is more to life than money.

Reply #72433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The deal he will get in Brisbane gives him more stability, not just more cash. It's easy to tease him about money, but I don't blame him for taking this opportunity at all.

Reply #72437 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, you can't be serious. Dusty is an import pro-ball player with a limited career span and a future to try and provide for.

When you turn what he was earning at the Sixers back into $US, he aint exactly earning the money to put his kids through college. Not every import wants to do a Mark Davis and stay here forever.

Best of luck Dusty, you have been very good for us here and will undoubtedly tear us a new one when you come back here next year... I just hope it is not one of your 44 point specials!

Reply #72439 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Greedy in the extreme??? You have got to be joking!!!

The guy is a professional basketball player with a limited timeframe where he can use his skills to earn an income. He has held out for as long as he can and given the Sixers plenty of time to come to the party. He has obviously got a great deal on the table and has decided to take it so good luck to him!

Reply #72441 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Annon #72433

I agree in some respect with what you say. It seems the only passionate people are the fans. The players have a different agenda and that is to make as much money in as little time. You have to also remember though, that this sort of career has a short life span. A player puts in most of his life in intensive training to reach that level and then if they are lucky enough to get contracts, it only lasts for 10-15 years of their life. They have to try and make it worthwhile for the years of work they put into it to get themselves at that level.

In Dusty's case, he comes from USA where top basketballers are paid huge sums of money. It would have been a shock to the system to see how financially unrewarding it was when he arrived in Australia. I would say his expectations would have suffered a blow. Also as a non resident of Australia, a large portion of his money goes into tax. The you have the conversion rate to American dollars which further reduces its value. I honestly think he is only doing it to fulfil a love of the sport and to travel around. As far as money goes, it would be just as financially viable to get an office job back home.

Reply #72445 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ec you are now talking shit, how much do you think he would earn in a office job?
he would be earning much more money playing ball and he would only have to be half intelegent to pick up a reasonable job when he returns home.

Having said this I dont blame him for chasing $$$ and maybe he has simply had enough playing for Adelaide when the team and it's structure does not change from year to year.

Reply #72456 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

EC, Dusty knew before he left the US what the wage structer is like in the NBL as well as what $$$ they are expected to learn.

No suprises came his way, conversion rates have stayed relatively the same and you have always had to FLY home to the U.S if you wanted to. Even if his blind drunk great aunt was his manager, he would have known what to expect.
..afterall Dusty sure knows how to use the internet!! dont you Dusty?

Reply #72458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This decision was not about money at all it was about security for him. Fact is the Sixers tried to cut his salary by more than what the average joe would earn in a year, where his money was supposed to go up. So had the sixers not tried to undermine him he would have stayed.
Second fact, the sixers could only offer him a one year deal, because of the clubs situation. Dusty needed longer term security and therefore chose to go with Brisbane. So instead of being pissed off about him leaving know the facts and supprt his decision, he is leaving a lot of close friends behind and therefore wasnt an easy decision but thats the sad part of the sport being a business, you have to do what you can to succeed and look after yourself, Dusty has chosen to do that, just understand why.

Justin Schueller

Reply #72460 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

understood and respected

Reply #72466 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Plus Dusty has goals of being in business after bball so what better situation than in Brisbane.

Play ball, get paid and learn business apprentice style from a BRW top 200.

Reply #72468 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Justin what does it have to do with you, are you his Manager and if you are is it profesional to comment on this forum?

I dont think people will care so long as the 36ers replace him with a quality big import.

That wont be eazy

Reply #72473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come back when he retires and take over management of the sixers!! :-)

Reply #72474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i write it as a long term close friend of his so people dont accuse him of chasing money and understand the big picture

Reply #72477 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I guess he can now afford to stop selling merch on his website ;)

Good luck dusty, I hope we can get a replacement as consistent as you (and I hope we kick your arse next time we play you).

Reply #72482 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think majority of people who play basketball (or any sport for that fact!) or understand the game on a professional level, understands why Dusty is leaving and respects and supports that completely. Don't let one idiot who has to remain anonymous (even though i'm sure he's a nobody!) fire people up to show their support for the guy. Dusty has been a great ambassador to the sixers and the sport of Basketball especially in Adelaide. The one positive thing is, he gets to stay in Australia for a bit longer and i'm sure he'll love Brisbane.
Good luck Dusty for season 2007!

Reply #72492 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Should i cancel my order?!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Reply #72496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"limited addition"!?

Reply #72498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon (#72473) - ye of little knowledge. Justin and Dusty were/are flatmates, and great friends.

Reply #72512 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

thanks for the time in adelaide dusty you will be greatly missed best of luck up at brisbane and lookforward to seeing you in adelaide again allbeit as a opponent

Cheers

Reply #72516 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

why did the sixers cut his pay even more? could they get any more stupid? far out, now we lost our most consistent player...top work

Reply #72527 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Not saying it was a good decision as Dusty was arguably the best PF in the league and a top guy as well. However, in answer to bballer's question, the way I see it there are two reasons why the 36ers offered Dusty a pathetic deal.

The first and main reason is that they wanted him to leave to free up the cap room and import spot.

The second reason is that if Dusty were to accept their pathetic offer then they would still have cap room to get a serviceable Australian centre.

Again, I'm not saying it was a good decision. I guess time will tell.

However, I bet most would be bitching had the 36ers paid Rychart the max and then wondered why we didn't recruit anyone new to replace Rees.

We didn't get it done this year and bringing back the exact same team next season wouldn't have got it done next year in my opinion.

Reply #72532 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There's no doubt a change was needed to the team but it wasn't Rychart that had to go. His departure does nothing to improve the team even if a half decent centre is recruited. I say half decent because the money will dictate that. What needed to happen was to accept the situation for another year until other players came out of contract. I would have replaced Rees with a cheap centre for a year until Cooper came out of contract. Accept the fact that for another year not much improvement was going to occur. Then used both salaries to get one decent centre and in the meantime train Oscar in that role as well (assuming he would accept that). If everything else failed in other areas of the team, the one consistent factor was always going to be Dusty. That consistency has now been lost.

Reply #72536 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Which cheap centre instead of Rees EC?

You can add Dodman or Bungey(insert any other minimum wage big man) instead of Rees and we are exactly the same team.

Basically one of either Dusty, Jacob or Oscar had to go.

Jacob and Oscar are 5 point players, don't command an import spot and are cheaper than Dusty.

The team was no doubt in a tough position in choosing between Jacob and Dusty.

The problem with choosing Dusty over Jacob is that the team would HAVE to sign either Hinder or Melmeth to be better. If we missed out on both of them there would be no major Aussie free agent that could replace Jacob and make us a better team.

Now they are in a position of targeting Hinder or Melmeth and if they miss out on both have the opportunity of signing an import centre.

I imagine there would be some damn talented 6'9" to 6'10" seniors in the NCAA not tall enough to play centre in the NBA but big enough to play centre comfortably in the NBL.

In the past import NBL centres were hard to come by but recently there have been some good ones such as Burgess, Horvath, Williams and Roberts.

Pressure will be on Smyth big time to find a replacement capable of Dusty style numbers.

Reply #72537 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Stephon, if you read my post correctly, you would have seen that I was talking about the following season 2007/2008, not this coming one. I openly admitted that the team would have to settle with being unsuccessful for another season before major changes should have been made.

Reply #72540 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah i would try and find another young guy out of college who's nba dreams were crushed, it may not work but it may work ie willie. Then get a local backup and look for another point.

Reply #72541 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Charlie #72458
I maybe wrong here, but I believe the year he came to Australia to play for the Victorian Giants, the salary cap was just over $1m. It dropped to just over $700K the next year. While it still didn't compare to the salaries in the US, it made a big difference on Australian standards.

Reply #72557 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

ec, youre so in love with dusty that it clouds your judgement!!

Reply #72559 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I hope you got your order in for your Bobby Bear Mixmasterwipe as its now gone from the Bullets site

Reply #72601 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think we will struggle next year regardless of who the 5 is because now er will be an even smaller frontcourt

Reply #72602 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Still, no-one has posted "those" pics ..... ;-)

Reply #72735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pardon my ignorance, what pics and who are those two people Moses?

Reply #72740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's bobby brannen. And he was suspened during the season for posing with his partner (pictured) in a naughty magazine. Link anyone?

Reply #72750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754