juice
Years ago

Centrals rock Woodville

Centrals got up over reigning premiers by 5 points....cant wait to hear more details on this one!!

Topic #6444 | Report this topic

Freddy  
Years ago

Is that a surprise? They will struggle without Elder in the middle

Reply #72333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

congratulations to Centrals Women - come on Woodville - if you have more money than the men this year, please get a couple of decent players - may be an import - dont leave what decent players you have on the bench when in trouble and dont replace decent players with young juniors at critical times. Take a leaf from Centrals and a fresh approach

Reply #72337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals women did win by one point over Woodville, from someone who has seen a lot of both these teams over the past few years the signs are positive.

Centrals have recruited well and at last have a calm, sensible approach coach. After a woeful start when they only scored 3 points for the first quarter they out played the Warriors for the next 3 quarters.

The game although it did have its fair share of turnovers, and low shooting percentages was certainly a step above the standard of game expected from these two teams in the past few years.

Des Cummins back to Woodville is a positive move and the recruitment of Number 10, sorry can't remember her name will reap rewards as she grows with confidence. The three young juniors coming thru Kayla Hardy, Claire Christie and Sharna Breavington will only get stronger with added exposure, they certainly looked the part tonight.

Both teams might finish at the wrong end of the premiership table, but the will trouble teams this year, more than they have in the past.

Congrats on Centrals for winning their first game in however long it has been in the ABA (I think two seasons). Even though their two victorian girls gave away stupid fouls for their 5 fouls the Lions held tough to hold out a strong finishing Warriors.
the only down side for Woodville that they did not make better use of their first quarter lead, but I'm sure they have had some soul searching over that themselves.

The men was a fairly lackluste affair, to a certain extent, Centrals won 71 to 66 and it was a low scoring men's game where the defence wasn't that great IMO just poor shot selections by both sides.

Woodville seemed to be out of sorts for the majority of the first three quarters, there appeared to be no freeflowing game that was there last season, and I don't think it was just missing Elder, lot of talent in that team but it certainly didn't gel tonight.

VERY impressed with Chris Clausen's game tonight he I felt was excellent especially in the first quarter. Atkins hit 20 points and held the team together with some clutch shooting as the Warriors made a concerted run. Reggie was his usual impeccible self, I wished he was still in the green and gold.

No Jye, but Justin Wilkey played a team game and he certainly came to play.

It appeared to me a cob web dusting game - wasn't really of any high standard, both teams can play much better than that and I would expect them to pick up the intensity next time around.

Reply #72340 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

.....and did you see Puddifoot get out rebounded by a 4ft 2 shooting guard (No.32).

Reply #72361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that number 32 almost had as much leap as that Mapunda guy.

Reply #72378 | Report this post

Don't know where you get your information from #72337 - Woodville don't even pay most of their ABL players, let alone have more money than the men's team. If there's money in the women's team, then it's not the players who are getting it!

Reply #72508 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

the women's program has the higher share of the $25 000 this year as it was felt the men woulnt really need to try and get anyone.

Reply #72547 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

i dont think thats entirely accurate take luck. anyway it was just one of those games for woodville men. i didnt think we got beat inside our borders held up pretty well mostly. just things werent happening. our main cannons (wiht the exception of puddy i thoguht) where all off. reggie was great for centrals , woodville didnt realli have an answer for him. he hit crucial plays and controled the team

Reply #72555 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville women have been given money to help attract high quality players - well may be they should use some of the $25,000 allocated for both teams?

Reply #72588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have ANY of you thought that even if money was available players still have to be attracted to come play.

Money isn't everything you know you could for example offer one of the Bowley sisters big $ under salary cap of course to play for say Woodville but she wouldn't leave a club where she can play in a team with friends and her sisters.

Possibly many aren't interested in playing for Lynne Holland, but would rather go play for Marc Wallis, Sharon Symons or John Gilles

Reply #72594 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

sorry, what does IMO mean?

Reply #72861 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

IMO = In My Opinion

Reply #72862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville women have been given more money than the men this season, but the women definately are seeing zero of it. Regarding the attraction for better players, a good coach would be a start, without a new coach, the womens team has no hope.

Reply #74091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville women have been given more money than the men this season, but the women definately are seeing zero of it. Regarding the attraction for better players, a good coach would be a start, without a new coach, the womens team has no hope.

Reply #74092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im assuming anon # 74092 that when you say the women are getting none of it, you mean the players are seeing zero....thats what i've heard too. I agree with the coaching situation also - in that game she had benchies and juniors on until 2 mins to go - i thought they did a good job to only lose by 1!!

(Mod: Wow, three posts in a row from the same computer...)

Reply #74093 | Report this post

CC  
Years ago

Woodville dont need a tree to win the cup again this year. Centrals arent even centrals they should be called the x-woodville's there starting five and coaches are all woodville. (Paul Vendenberg, Jarrod Graves, Justin Wilkey, Ben Elliot, Jarrod Hammond) and the coaches (Ricky Simpson and Scott Witmore)

Reply #75516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754