igotmadskills
Years ago

sportsmanship

Sportsmanship going down the dunny...
played a game last night, got a little physical with the opposition pg as happens in some games. nothing over the top just a bit of physical defence and trash talking both ways and a couple of blocks called on him that he thought were charges on me. after the game which we won by 10 points the bloke just walked off the court grabbed his bag and went and sat on another court, without shaking the hand of any of our team not just me. I couldnt believe it(neither could some of his team mates) its getting like the nba after the game straight to the locker room. No respect for the opposition either on or off the court. once on the court white line fever comes in but after the game regardless of the result you still gotta shake hands and show some respect.
just my opinion what do others think???

Topic #6467 | Report this topic

Panther  
Years ago

Ask the Centrals team about sportsmanship, they're awesome!

Reply #72650 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

haha panther how true. I agree skills, there's no place in basketball for people like that. Take a leap out of Panther's book - be the first to crunch someone but the first to shake their hand after the game. It should never get personal. While on the court play hard, and when the siren sounds everyone should be able to have a beer together

Reply #72654 | Report this post

The Drake  
Years ago

My 12 year old boy whilst playing a game recently got ' rejected ' by an opposition player. fair call no contact made with his hand and a good play all around. However it was the reaction of the opposition player and his mates behind the ring who laughed and pointed at him as he got up off of the floor to continue playing that was disgraceful. Not only that but this player got right in his face and told him all about it. Nice ??

U talk about sportmanship igotmadskills ? Our kids have got to learn it from somewhere. I understand your view but as you openly admitt there was some trash talking going on, I 'd say your no better or worse than the sore loser your post is all about.

Reply #72661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

c'mon "The Drake" you can't be serious, trash talking is all part of the sport and you need to learn to brush it off. Sure it shouldnt happen with young kids. Trash talk on the field and shake hands and possible beer after the game, thats what sportsmanship is all about.

Panther, was the comment about centrals tongue in cheek or are the good with sportsmanship?

Reply #72663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or...our kids could learn that it helps to have parents on the committee to have them in teams where they dont belong and to sack anyone who challenges it.

Reply #72665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals men from the coach down are renown for not shaking hands after the game or some games.

drake children learn by example, they see it on the NBA, the see it in the NBL or the ABA. The watch the seniors train and see the trash talking that goes on in fun.

Everyone should remember we are all role models for the younger generation even if we are young ourselves.

but above all we are all responsible for our own behaviour and we are the products of our upbringing.

be prepared to shake hands, and the other person or teams chose not to you have done the right thing.

Reply #72669 | Report this post

Trash  
Years ago

Making a good play and winning is one thing, rubbing it in and demeaning the opposition is another. Anyone seen "Coach Carter"?

Being physical and playing hard is good. I'm always ready to shake hands with a guy who played hard, but a guy who just talked trash and put everyone down, I don't like to shake their hand.

Reply #72675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

72675, that is all warm and fuzzy. U ever played at a descent level? sooo much crap gets talked at ABL/Div 2 level and so many cheap shots that dont get noticed from the seats. U might find you wouldnt be shaking many hands.

Reply #72678 | Report this post

Trash  
Years ago

I have played at a decent level. I don't mind bragging and big noting, I don't like bagging and putting down other players.

If you're really a good player, your game should speak for itself, I find those without game, resort to trash. I said, physical I deal with, don't mind cheap shots, just give one back, it's the bagging and making fun of opposition that I think needs to get out of ABL/Div 2.

Reply #72681 | Report this post

Trash  
Years ago

Oh, and 72678, I played at a decent level before, descent level is what I'm doing now as I get older and slower ;)

Reply #72683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trash talking is all part of the game. Get inside your oppositions head and put them off their game. Some choose to do it physically and play hard, some choose to do it with some joking around, talking and making comments about the other persons game.

But some people gotta learn, you get what you give. If you are going to trash be prepared to get trashed back, if you play hard be prepared to get a bump here and there.

It's all part of the game and if you don't understand that while you're on court you are going to keep getting hit and trashed. If you watch higher level games you'll see some trash talking and rough play going on but when you see the opposition hit a nice shot or do something nice, the person guarding the man will usually be one of the first to say "nice shot" but then add there little bit of trash. All part of the game.

What happens on court stays on court. Once the game is over shake hands, have a chat to the other team and have a drink and joke with the opposition.

Reply #72695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difficulty is, with ABL etc, they are adults and most players know each other and are mates anyway. Where is gets ugly is in juniors and Div 3 and lower and social when players don't know each other, it becomes personal.

Personally, I think the best way to get into players head is kick their ass and not say a thing, trash talkers hate that.

Also, if people bring out their family, friends, kids, they don't want someone yelling "Shit shot dickhead" or "You got no game" at them while they're playing, that's just ugly.

Reply #72701 | Report this post

Trash  
Years ago

Difficulty is, with ABL etc, they are adults and most players know each other and are mates anyway. Where is gets ugly is in juniors and Div 3 and lower and social when players don't know each other, it becomes personal.

Personally, I think the best way to get into players head is kick their ass and not say a thing, trash talkers hate that.

Also, if people bring out their family, friends, kids, they don't want someone yelling "Shit shot dickhead" or "You got no game" at them while they're playing, that's just ugly.

Reply #72702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comments like that are innappropriate at any level. Trash talking isn't about harrassing players, it's about joking around about one's game saying things like "comeon I'll let you have this shot you haven't hit it all night" or just the subtle "lets see what you've got". If the player knocks the shot or burns you they're gonna trash back, be prepared to take it on the chin and have a joke about it.

In juniors trash talking shouldn't be done and you'll find although you don't think they can, most refs can hear every word that's said on the court. In juniors it can be cut out by a simple warning/or tech. In seniors it's part of the game and a some trash talking here and there is all fun and games.

Agree'd though in seniors lower level there is still trash talking going on, yet some player's don't understand it's part of the game and if they get trashed they take it too seriously and end up doing something stupid. But should not be pulled out of the game altogether else some players will be out of their spot if they're not allowed to trash talk anymore :P

Reply #72713 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

In my experience I have found that cheering loudly when our team scores or makes the opposition turnover the ball has the same effect as trash talking, but without the bad language. It's all about intimidation right?

Reply #72721 | Report this post

Trashing shouldn't really happen in lower grades... they should focus on the game

Reply #72736 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

re: sportsmanship (#72669)
centrals men from the coach down are renown for not shaking hands after the game or some games.

I am a Aba ref and when ever I have had Centrals the coach Ricky Simpson has always shaken my hand after the game let aloan the other team, so I am not sure how correct your post is.

Reply #72745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: sportsmanship (#72745)

You know what anon I agree some people seem to like to get a dig in where they can about Centrals!
I play for them in the mens comp (no not aba or a high div) and our team always shakes hands with the opposition no matter what has gone down during the game. The unfortunate part is that there is always someone out there that will try and run the club down for no real reason.

Reply #72824 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

No the reason for that comment was because the Mens team didn't shake hands after the game and Ricky told all the players not to hang around for the after game function and to pack their shit and leave. Only one Centrals player stayed for food and drink after the game.

Reply #72836 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

Panther,

Was that the game where you took the cheap shot at Jye? I'm watching the video of it at the moment.....

Reply #73215 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

lippy...you should get out more often.

That post was at 3am on a Friday morning!

Trash talking is a part of the game, and so is heckling from spectators. If you can't handle the heat...get out of the kitchen.

Yes please, one bag of chocolate coated coffee beans for Lippy

Reply #73224 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

I was at work. I don't need the bag'o'beans........

Reply #73234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah J bags, and its a great example to the kids that watch the ABL games and then take back what they see to their local games.

Reply #73237 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Well if people dislike my comments at games they can tell me to sow up my pie hole then then it'll be done.
I just like to bring a level of intensity to the boyz, and I think they appreciate that. Nothing is more benifitial to a home team than a good vocal crowd, and nothing pisses oposition off more than a supporter getting in your head.

I've got my bag of double blacks packed for the next game

Reply #73241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:56 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754