Black Cat
Years ago

Erin Phillips may stay in OZ

Rumour has it that Jan Stirling is telling all required Australian players (Except Jackson and Penny Taylor) that they are not allowed to play WNBA or they will face losing their spot in the team! This is so they can focus on trainings over the next couple of years to aim at winning gold at the next Olympics.
Erin concerned at this may not take up the opportunity of playing in the WNBA.
Could Jan Stirling cut Laura Summerton now she has decided to play for Conneticut???
This is utterly ridiculous for Jan to demand this of her players. As a sportsperson you have very limited time to make some money (unless you play NBA!!!) and therefore should be allowed to play and compete at the highest level and make some good money doing it!
Jan Stirling...only looks out for number one, herself!

Topic #6479 | Report this topic

narrow minds  
Years ago

how on earth she can think that a season of ABL and a couple of 3 day camps can be better than WNBA is beyond me!

look at Laura her game improved a lot more in 1 season with Thibaut and connecticut than it did with several years here - she was good but her game has cranked so much more since USA

go to states girls - you are younger and will outlast Jan's stay

I like Jan and a big fan - but she has got this one wrong - big time!

and how can she let some go and some not - perhaps the big guns - might tell her to stick the opals!!

Jan - get with the rest of the world - it is not 1975 still

do not hold your players back - or they will have divided hearts

Reply #72842 | Report this post

narrow minds  
Years ago

if that is the case - why is JAE KINGI allowed to run around state side then front here for national squad

Go girls - get state side and make some money before you do an knee or something like that - you will still make opals

Reply #72843 | Report this post

Black Cat  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Jae has retired hasn't she!

Reply #72845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kingi was in opals sqaud for commonwealth games

if erin does not go state side - connecticut will spew they protected her in the expansion draft and let a sun favourite go to chicago - investing in erin

erin has the chance to play with lindsay whalen on the big stage - in fact some talk she will run the number 1 spot early due to lindsay's injury

it is up to erin - she is 20 and has many good years ahead - no other guards are near her game here

what do you want young lady ?

jan needs to get with the programme and let the girls go - fit a camp in around there schedule

why not negotiate with the players - they could probably get a couple of weeks off WNBA to come back home for a camp or two - it would be a busy schedule - but margo dydek took some games off for coonecticut and went back for polish squad and returned

NEGOTIATE JAN / PLAYERS / CLUBS

there is no need to have an entire WNBA season off for a few days of opals camps - get the best of both worlds - do positive business and get everyone happy with a peice of action

Reply #72849 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

This can only bring tears. This policy (if true) will force players to choose unfairly between their country and their long term security. What a joke.

If Erin did choose WNBA, people would bag her for not being patriotic.

Imagine that policy in the Men's program! No one would play.

Reply #72857 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That is absolute BS if it's true. Surely the experience of the WNBA far far outweights anything she'll do here in Australia.....

If that's the case, then screw playing for your country. Will BA have pension plans in place when people let pass opportunites to play overseas.

Fit training camps around the players, don't expect players to lose financially over the long term. If the games were in 6 months, then fair enough, but not this far out.

Geez, maybe something a bit radical, have a training camp in the States or in Europe of a change.

Reply #72872 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

On the premise that the policy stated is true: Erin is a smart woman who has a contract with connecticut that should be honoured. A couple of training camps back in Aus for the year, email her some of the plays and enjoy the Olympics. Jan will have to deal with her preparations based on the context of the situation. One leader, one rule, one style.. one hell of an ego.

Reply #72881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it was crazy of her having not gone last season to the WNBA, instead staying here to have a chance at playing in the Commonwealth games - (nearly proved a huge mistake with some saying she only just made it, but it did end up working out) - to not go over again would be ridiculous in my opinion. You have the chance to be a major player in the strongest league in the world, take it! she will only improve her game and make it impossible for Jan to not pick her.

Reply #72885 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

i agree, i would be happier seeing her play in the WNBA even if she isnt in the opals team than have her stay here and play ABA when she is one of the best players in our country, even is she does go to the US, jan would be stupid not to pick her in the team.

Reply #72890 | Report this post

3secs  
Years ago

Im sure if Erin decides to go ahead and play WNBA she would be doing Australia proud anyway. Anyone who doesnt support Erin in her choice to play WNBA should have a good look at themselves. She is going to be huge, probably the best point guard to come out of Australia and will only get better playing for connecticut which in turn will help Australia when she plays in the Olympics. Good Luck Erin, follow your heart.you have many fans that will support any decision you make.

Reply #72904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jan Stirling wouldn't stand in the way of a players development...another rumour stiring up shit

Reply #72934 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

I wouldnt bet on that.

Reply #72940 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Send Greg Phillips around to Jan's house. He'll change her mind .....

Reply #73001 | Report this post

blinkered jan  
Years ago

Tell the girls to head o/seas and gain the physical toughness they will need to contest the Olympic Games. If I was Jan I would be more concerned about retaining my position as coach for the Olympic Team - she has only been appointed for the Commonwealth Games. I have heard strong rumours (from the right circles) that Carrie Graff will be invited to coach the Olympic Team

Reply #73016 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure what ever Erin does will be good for Erin. She is only young and how nice for someone to have strong family ties and values that hold her with her family a little bit longer. She is a real little winner

Reply #73017 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

i'm with TR - fit some camps in - why not do something different and have one in USA

negotiate - no need for radical - miss a full season of wnba

we would still see erin representing us nationally - just a different team

Reply #73048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Jan actually say Erin couldnt go to the WNBA? Thought post said it was a rumour

Reply #73050 | Report this post

jr.  
Years ago

all i know is that jan needs to pull her head in and base her selection on the best girls for Australia. If erin decides to go to Connecticut then so be it. If she plays well then how could jan not select her? It would be an embarrassment to not only Australia but on Jans behalf as well. I think a lot of people would be very upset if she was not to get picked.

Reply #73341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754