EC
Years ago

Am I the only negative person?

Am I the only negative person when I say that I don't have much confidence in the team we are about to put together for next season? I just wanted to get a feel for what others think. I don't want people to start listing some names of who we should get and who we shouldn't get because a lot has already been written about this. I just want a general feeling of which direction the club is going and whether its going to be successful. We have lost 2 players from last season, one retired, the other forced to look elsewhere. Given that the club gave permission so quickly for this to happen, and the fact that the best it could do was only offer a one year contract, does not say much about the confidence the club has itself. Since the sacking of the BASA board and the government taking control, it has left the Sixers on shaky ground. I'm not suggesting that it wasn't on shaky ground before under the mismanagement of the board, but the full extent of the problem was not evident. This team is not going to be a first preference for any available free agents as they won't feel secure here. There is uncentainty over what will happen at the end of April. Even though the salary cap has been raised by 5%, I doubt the government will approve the extra spending to get decent players.

I personally am quite distressed about the situation because I feel we are about to lose something that we have grown to love over the years.

If anyone can say anything positive and say it quite convincingly, I look forward to it because a glimmer of hope is what I am looking for.

Topic #6501 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

We have lots of space under the points cap! That's a positive.

Other than that, I think it could be a challenging off-season. I'd consider myself a bit pessimistic about our chances, but I don't think it's a lost cause. Splurge on an import big man (who knows, might get the next Burgess - even Horvath was a 20 and 11 man in 2004/05 - find a non-injury-prone import like that and I think we're more balanced), and pick up a back-up guard and we're not doing too badly.

The limited contracts will probably be the most off-putting to free agents I think.

Reply #73212 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Why all the end of April talk?

What is going to happen at the end of April? The worls to stop spinning? Basketball outlawed?

The sixers are going no where soon, with the full support of the governement they will be more secure than ever.

Pickard wants to buy the team and run them out of the Ent Cent? Not going to happen as the dome is still a liability.

No one is going to step up and buy the sixers if they have to take the dome debt as well.

3 groups have contacted the government AFAIK re sale yet nothing has happened, why?

You can but the Pirates out for 1 million bucks yet the sixers price tag is over 10 million.

People with 10 million to spend are usually smart and dont through money around on a whim when they dont have to.

Reply #73222 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

This time last year we were all bemoaning teh Sixers and how they were going to put a substandard product on the floor and that we would suck. As it turned out we had a more than serviceable team front up and we actually did a lot better than most predicted - me included. While I agree that it doesnt look great at the moment and that Dusty is a BIG loss maybe there is method in their madness. Maybe Dusty was only offered a short term deal in the hope he would leave - thus saving the Sixers an even bigger PR nightmare that would have occured if they had sacked him.
As Isaac has said this may now open the door for a revamp of the team and head us in a new direction (ie with a BIG centre)

While it is all up for conjecture at this time - and we may indeed suck in the upcomming season - lets hold off a bit until we write the team off as there is still a lot of time to sign new talent.

EC Im still hopefull that you will see a fun to watch, free flowing team that gels and plays some great games and again is a feature in teh postseason.

Reply #73226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hopeing that this year we will see the direction the team is taking and have a full roster before season tickets are due (Unlike previous seasons).

Reply #73252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754