bballer
Years ago

Sports Autobiographies

I have really been into them lately and im interested in what people think are good ones to read. I have read Andrew Gaze, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, Raylene Boyle..I definately think all of these have been fantastic reads and i want some more to read. Anyone got any suggestions?? Greatly appreciated!

(Mod: Good topic!)

Topic #6534 | Report this topic

Apparently Steve Waugh's is one of the best going around.... also one of the longest, and physically (the book itself) probably the heaviest!!

Reply #73492 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

My Life - By Earvin 'Magic' Johnson is a great read

Bad as I want to be mt Dennis Rodman is also very entertaining

Reply #73493 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

Sandy Blythe's autobiography was certainly an awesome read. Get into that one!!

Reply #73501 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The Boof, Darren Lehman is quality!

Reply #73505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq Attaq!

That was a very good book.

or Glen McrGrath's World Cup Diary

Both good.

Reply #73519 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela.

Reply #73523 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

The Lance Armstrong one is just totally inspirational, would touch everyones heart. WHat he has been through and what he has achieved. He is a champion. I definately recomend that book to everyone!

Reply #73563 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

If your into hoops then you will love:

* Bob KNight: My Story. It covers his sacking from IU and he rips a number of people who crossed him but its a fantastic insite to the best coach in college.

* Season on the Brink: - a year with bob knight and the indiana hoosiers

* The Miricle of St.Anthony - Bob Hurley (winningest highschool coach in history, bobby hurleys dad) tbhis book is about the most successfull and the poorest highschool hoops program in the usa. amazing.

hope they help.

Reply #73570 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Justin Langer's book is a good read, also Glen McGrath's Cook Bo...wait, forget that one.

Reply #73579 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Gazes book was fantastic, it had me in stitches him explaining some of the euros "habbits"

"Now i'm not the most outgoing bloke around but after a close win over in europe we all came into a circle in the changerooms and sang the club song. Thing was I looked down and every man had hold of the person beside hims weapon"

Reply #73668 | Report this post

ell45  
Years ago

if you count climbing as a sport then the best one ever is "between a rock and a hard place" is is the best book and is really inspirational.

Reply #73714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longleys book is good. It has some great insights into NBA life, phil jackson/zen, the "other side" (not so marketable) of Michael Jordan, antics at dodgy bars with Dennis Rodman and eddie vedder (pearl jam).

Sacred Hoops by Phil Jackson is pretty good. Not the most entertaining read but it delivers a message.

Reply #73718 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Five point play by the great coach K is good.
details season 2000/01, the last time the blue devils where national champs.

Reply #73722 | Report this post

I want Phil jacksons.

Kurt Angles is really inspirational.

And Wilt chamberlain's are good for a laugh. He mixes picking up girls and telling you how good he is for an entire book.

Reply #73727 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

I also bought in Melbourne 'The Jordan Rules' by Sam Smith but was quite disapointed with it as it disses Michael quite a lot. It has the right ideas behind it, but the legend that Jordan is, he doesnt deserve to cop all that...Has anyone read this? It was some random book and i was like hey, Jordan..ill get that..

Reply #73771 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The Jordan Rules is by Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune. I wouldn't say that it disses Michael but instead, gives a complete picture of what drives someone to be as good as he was.

I like Bill Cartwright's message to him (not verbatim): "You disrespect me like that again and I'll end your career."

Of note, MJ said in a recent interview: "Krause and I are the most criticized people in the book, but we're the only two [in the team] that didn't go to lunch with this dude. It's like he was planning to kill us anyway, so why take us to lunch?"

Reply #73772 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

yeah good point Moses, i agree. I just felt when reading it that they were trying to put Jordan down in some way...Just things like how he doesnt pass etc, just gave me the impression, but after reading what u wrote i understand where Sam Smith was coming from.

Reply #73782 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Hurrah: it's about time the basketball/sport book thread got going!

Heaven Is A Playground by Rick Telander is a really good hoops book, about street hoops in New York in the 70s. In the mid-90s Telander went back and did a follow-up article for Sports Illustrated which is still the best hoops article I've read, with glorious black-and-white photography of shirtless street hoopsters (including the legendary Booger Smith) sweating it out during a New York summer.

Another sports author worth checking out is Steve Rushin, who is virtually unknown here but was just awarded the title of Best Sportswriter. His book Road Trip is hilariously brilliant. (He's also married to women's hoops legend Rebecca Lobo.)

Reply #73832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jayson Williams, former all star with the nets, his book 'Loose Balls' is by far the best basketball autobio book i've ever read. If anyone wants a real insight into life in the NBA you gotta read it

Reply #73870 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Does "Loose Balls" have the bit about Jayson shooting someone dead? ;)

Reply #73888 | Report this post

David Le Page  
Years ago

James Blakes new book is really great and honest breaking back

Reply #172213 | Report this post

Liam  
Years ago

Best Basketball book, hands down is Drive by Larry Bird, its so inspirational and motivational, its a great read. You can buy it on Amazon: the best place to buy books for low prices. The Pete Maravich one by Wayne Federmen called "Maravich" is also said to be a very gud read according 2 Bill walton. Also, the book called "How to be like mike" is very motivationa. It's a book on the traits of micheal jordan such as focus, the killer instinct, perseverence, and much more in alot of detail with many quotes by lots of NBA staff and players.

Reply #218016 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754