jimmy de bas
Years ago

Game of the Year (for Tigers fans)

TIGERS CLAW PAST MAVERICKS

Cool heads and a change in defence proved the perfect remedy for the Southern Tigers and their slow start to the 2006 season.

The Tigers, who were 0-2 going into Saturday's clash versus the Eastern Mavericks at Mount Barker, found themselves down by 21 points and staring down the barrel at a Mavericks team stacked with talent.

When Eastern's Ben Madgen nailed his fifth 3-pointer for the night, he gave his side an 84-63 buffer - usually a match-winning lead - with little over 11 minutes remaining in the game. What the Mavericks didn't count on was the never-say-die attitude of a Tigers team hungry for a win.

Coach Billy Hopkins instructed his troops back into a zone defence, and the team responded well. From 21 down, the Tigers zone suffocated Eastern's scoring options, whilst everything the Tigers threw up down the other end seemed to be falling in.

The tenacious Tiger defence also seemed to mentally affect an inexperienced Eastern, 36er Brad Hill picking up a technical foul and big man Brad Bungey picking up his 2nd unsportsmanlike foul for the night.

With 4 minutes remaining, ex-Maverick Joel Goodenough swished a 3-pointer to tie the game, bringing the Tiger bench to its feet.

Instead of the game going down to the wire, Southern stunned the home crowd by going straight past the Mavericks, and when some Matt Alexander hustle set up Dave Bowley for a 3-point-play, the Tigers had completed an amazing 30-2 rampage to lead the Mavericks 93-86.

The final two and a half minutes were a mere formality, the courageous Tigers pulling out an improbable 102-94 win which could be the start of something big.

Southern Tigers 102 (Gerlach 24, Bowley 17, Alexander 16, Boal 15, Goodenough 14)
Eastern Mavericks 94 (Madgen 25, Davis 15, Hill 13, Campbell 12)

Topic #6609 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

Where was Ben Trebilcock?

Reply #74325 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Did anyone tape that game? I want a copy? Email me please as i will send a cheque for expenses. [email protected]

Man, who in the hell is coaching at Eastern? That kind of run can be controlled? that sounds like it happened hella quick tho.

Reply #74330 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I guess when a team gets on a roll and players are getting techs/unsport fouls there is not a lot a coach can do. 30 -2 is pretty good at any high level game.

Reply #74334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHA, mavs mavs mavs. spewin you let joel go i bet!!

Reply #74335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hill's old man is coach. seems like a bit of a loose cannon himself!

Reply #74338 | Report this post

big but  
Years ago

there have been a few t's this year allready - not much crap being excepted by the ref's towards the players this year.

coach should pull them in line for that sort of thing because it gives the other team a real boost....

Very unusual for Brad Hill though, not so for his father...

Reply #74339 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

you dont see those kinds of runs at that level very often because it can be controlled. Now i wasnt there so i cant comment too spot on but from what i know it is VERY controlable.

Not a good example by coach hill..?

Reply #74343 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

stingray perhaps you should take up coaching

Reply #74380 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Trebilcock was at the game watching from the bench. Injured I believe.

Reply #74395 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

Wow!! What a game!! Who said Joel wasn't good enough?? He's good enough for us!!

Reply #74444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stingray - copy of the tape goes to the coach... richard hill.

And after the spray you've just given him, i doubt he'd be very reluctant at all to give it up.

Reply #74571 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Greatwork by the lads.

Unfortunately J BAgs was consuming his Double Blacks at a different location.

It will be possible to see if he is a bad luck charm if we get over Centrals this weekend.

Reply #74925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754