dingo
Years ago

sixers recruiting

considering that the sixers were well supplied at the 3/4 with Dusty, jake and oscar..releasing dusty to free up salary cap seemed like a good idea considering jake and oscar were both concessional as regards the points cap. Now sixers could be starting from scratch at the 3/4 and having to take full points players as both jake and oscar are linked with offers from other clubs according to OZhoops. And you cant blame the guys who have been taking pay cuts to help the team in the past season but have to maximise their opportunities while they can.

Topic #6647 | Report this topic

Jonno  
Years ago

i wonder what the team will look like now???
The rumours of holmes and forman leaving, make signing nashy a must, and on the same sight they suggested copeland could b a 36er, i think we will need to sign an aussie centre like a moore or dench, and a impoert forward id love to get wells, and sheridan is rumoured to be leaving the kings so he may be a handy pick up??? which would give us a team of something like
C Moore/Cooper
PF Import (Wells)/Hambour
SF Nash/Sheridan
SG Farley/Copeland
PG Maher/Hill
What do people think of a line up like that???? if we could get those players i think we would be ok and should make the playoffs but wouldnt be expecting a championship run unfortunatly

Reply #74630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont count nash or hill in the group for sure

Reply #74634 | Report this post

banana  
Years ago

"sixers recruiting" - a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

Reply #74635 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea, how is the recruiting done, does phil actively do it or does he name players he wants n management takes care of it, and with the 6ers fhaving no monye its gonna be hard for them to recruit and keep players unfortunatly

Reply #74636 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Sixers are in a bit of financial strife sure, but they have money and I'd expect them to spend the cap. One issue they'll have is with the length of contract they can offer, and also that they have two costly players locked in and six positions to fill.

Reply #74645 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I think part of people's frustration is that we hear nothing from the club about who we are going after. What are people to expect in the absence of ANY news: most people will assume the worst.

Adelaide MUST make signing Forman and Holmes their number one priority. Otherwise, their willingness to part with Dusty will backfire completely. Those three, plus Nash, then worry about getting a big man, which they will probably have to get from overseas.

It seems as if all other clubs are announcing signings but so far the only news out of Adelaide since Stewart's jumper buried us is that Rees has retired, and Dusty has moved on.

I've heard the Copeland crap too but isn't that a step in the wrong direction? And what positive message does it send to Brad Hill? He might end up the victim of a coin toss next year?!

And this time, they better find a way to pick a BALANCED team, for as Isaac has said on a number of occasions, last year's team was overloaded with 3s and 4s. Brad Gerlach should be in the starting 10. Last year Hambour was probably the fourth option at either the 4 or 5 and didn't play a second in a home game all year. Isn't that unbelievable?

Focus on Maher, Farley, Holmes, Forman, Nash, Cooper, and Hill. Then find an import centre who isn't going to break the bank and a journeyman 4/5 (how about Matt Smith - he's never done much but he is HUGE and he's not going to get to play anyway), and Gerlach or Gower. It isn't realistically going to get any better than that.

Let Hill loose offensively (he's "me-first", so clear out a side of the floor for him and let him operate one on one, instead of having to penetrate from the top of the key).

Have the words "dunk the fucking ball when you are two feet from the rim" tattooed into David Cooper's chest. I cannot believe how many shots he had blocked this season past.

Stop dragging guys after they make a couple of shots in a row (this usually happens to Oscar and Farley).

Realise that Mark Nash contributes MORE when he plays 23 minutes, rather than 32 minutes.

And for crying out loud, use your timeouts to stop the opposition's momentum when the five on court clearly aren't going to.

Reply #74649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac

What would happen if a guy like Jacob or Oscar left for some place else? Would that make it better for our chances to secure more players. Or does the money that Willie and Brett get make it difficult for us to even get anoter decent import? Or if heaven forbid if both left? Chances are that clubs lke NZ and Sydney after after these guys.

Reply #74713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it would make it a bit harder. I suspect Willie and Brett are on what they deserve (don't get me wrong on that) - it was just that when Dusty was here too, a good bit of the cap was being spent on those three and that made it hard to round out the roster perhaps.

Holmes was reasonably priced and Forman was underpriced (IMO) in 05/06. I think that if those two move on, Adelaide would have to work hard and/or be quite lucky to replace their contributions at those prices, but I guess we'll see.

We've only got one import spot free and then the rest of the positions have to be filled with Australians. Realistically if they left, we'd have two starting spots to fill, plus another position at least in the regular rotation.

The free agent forwards on the official list that are at that level are more or less: Mark Nash, Ben Thompson, not sure about Boucher, Liam Rush if you were pushing it, Ben Knight (linked to Singapore by his agent already), Robert Rose, Cameron Tragardh, Pero Vasiljevic, Troy Pilon, Andrew Rice, Axel Dench, Derek Moore. For the most part, these guys are fringe-starters, not guaranteed of replicating Holmes' 13 and 8 for example.

Reply #74718 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Ozhoops is full of shit and 90% that is posted is crappolla.

If both Holmes and Forman left the Sixer next season would have to start with Hill Maher and Farley and recruit a PF (Derrick Moore) and Centre (import)

To have a competitive bench it would be wise to sign Mark Nash as well as look at a Jordan Dodman as well as David Cooper. To round out the guard rotation I would go for Adam Quick as well as Brad Gerlach (Geordie Cullen would always be an option as a back up big).

Any word on if the Sixer has contacted Jordan Dodman to play next season??

C: Import/ Dodman (Any word)
PF Moore / Cooper
SF Farley / Nash
SG: Maher / Gerlach
PG: Hill / Adam Quick from Townsville (if he has recovered form his knee injury)

Reply #74735 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

My number 1 priority would be to sign Homes and Forman but if that was not going to happen look above.

Reply #74736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they dont hurry dodman might get tired of being stuffed around and go elsewhere

Reply #74743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard dodman has been approached by a couple of other clubs.

Reply #74845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers have lost quality players like Newley, Ingles etc because of their unwillingness to develop younger players - Dodman might be another one if they dont get their act together

Reply #74847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there has been some rumours going around that the Syndney Swans and other AFL clubs are on the tale of jordan dodman to play AFL.

Reply #75145 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

"36ers have lost quality players like Newley, Ingles etc because of their unwillingness to develop younger players"

what a load of shit.

Reply #75146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd ask them before writing it off..

Reply #75148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'd ask Oscar and Jacob as too whether improved development came into their decisions. Boti wrote as much.

Reply #75152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need a PF so Pero, Rice, Dodman or Bungey is the right type i reckon a centre maybe Helliwll

Reply #75409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its true....young talent while playing at the 6ers...exceptions to brad hill....just rot away on the bench.

Reply #75494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you must be kidding.

J.Holmes and O.Forman, went from sitting on the sixers bench to training in the boomers!

damn, how much do you expect? do you expect everything Phil touches into gold, we all know only boy Goorj has that talent!

Reply #75499 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754