Isaac
Years ago

CJ Bruton secures try-out with Jailblazers

AUSTRALIA point guard C.J. Bruton is finally set for a shot at his National Basketball Association dream, nearly a decade after he was drafted.

Bruton, 30, was acting coy about his future movements today, but the two-time National Basketball League champion will head to Portland for a try-out next month after a deal was reached with Sydney Kings to end his contract on March 31.
"I'm not getting any younger and they wanted an experienced player and that's how my name came up."

Bruton said a club had been monitoring him since a tour of China with the Australia team in July last year.
"I know they're over there watching, which is nice," he said.

"They've followed the whole NBL season. Even when I went to China, they were watching."
Bruton finally gets NBA shot

Topic #6654 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

It's not April 1st yet is it?

Reply #74708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the Blazers want him???
Telfair, Blake, Dixon and Jack can all play the point for them already.
Seems like a wierd place to tryout.

Reply #74715 | Report this post

Gonzaga  
Years ago

He doesn't stand a chance. Nate McMillan has already said that there are too manty point guards on the current roster, hinting that either Blake, Telfair otr Jack will be traded.

I mean, they already have three point guards who are all relatively cheap because they are still on their rookie contracts and Blake is earning close to league minimum; I have no idea why Potland would take an interest in an older point guard...

Can't really see CJ getting any time at all before their lottery pick of Telfair let alone starting point Blake and Jack.

Reply #74717 | Report this post

Funny how everyones always ready with a list of why someone or another cant make it. the Blazers wouldnt be after someone who they didnt think would make it. in a multibillion dollar industry such an action defeats logic. look at the blazers guards. young and in experienced. for all we know Bruton may just be needed for the experience he could bring from a national, and international level of experience. this kind of experience is worth big bucks and all the best to CJ if the blazers are scouting him.

Reply #74902 | Report this post

Yeah, but he's never been in the nba, why would they pick up Bruton if they could get an experienced NBA veteran

Reply #74904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've been following him for nearly a year, sending scouts to Kings games etc. Obviously they like him and I guess it's a matter of seeing if whatever that is does work with them. I don't follow the NBA, but a friend tells me the Blazers PG's, while greatly talented, are all pretty immature, and that CJ's more experienced, sensible head is probably the thing they are after more than any specific talent strength.

Reply #74992 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

CJ's current game suits the NBA. He's versitile, he can run a team, find guys who are feeling hot (ie jason smith, yesterdays semi-final) and can score against bigs if need be.

NBA he can be.

Reply #75084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754