Isaac
Years ago

Hypothetical: Brian Wethers

A year or two ago when Farley returned to Adelaide, the club also looked at or had interest from Brian Wethers. From what I was told, his asking price was very reasonable.

So my hypothetical today is: had we gone for Wethers instead of Farley last time we had the chance, would that have given us more flexibility for 06/07?

I don't mean to insult Willie because I think he's an entertaining player to watch and should get let off the leash a bit more in 06/06 hopefully, but I thought it might be an interesting topic. Not so much "Sixers should have done this instead" - just a discussion point to distract from the doom and gloom.

What it could've meant:

1. Tiny bit more cash to spend.
2. Could've played Wethers comfortably at SG/SF giving a bit more versatility.
3. Could get a back-up point guard without recruiting over Hill and cutting his minutes. Hill could still get minutes at SG while Wethers would move to SF, and Holmes to PF. Forman could've backed up SF and PF. Nash getting minutes all over town.

Maher/?
Wethers/Hill
Forman/Nash
Holmes/Hambour
?/Cooper

240 minutes might play out like this: PG (Maher 35 MPG, backup 13); SG (Wethers 28, Hill 20); SF (Forman 30, Wethers 12, Nash 6); PF (Holmes 34, Import 8, Nash 6); C (Import 28, Cooper 20).

Maher gets 35 MPG to try and ease the load on him. Hill gets 20 to assist his development, and playing SG where he should be. The backup point would get a token 13. Wethers would play 40 split between two positions. Forman would've got his 30 at SF (or maybe switching with Holmes at PF), Nash would pick-up 12 in the frontcourt, Holmes 34, an import centre 36 and Coops 20 (I think he played about that last year).

Had they lost one of Holmes or Forman, there's obviously minutes available for the bench point or Nash to take on.

Topic #6694 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

would have been interesting and i think it would have been a good option but at the time mr sander showed good loyalty to willie, at the time of the interview with him he had a letter of intent by weathers to join the team

Reply #75123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know - he talked to me about having Wethers stay at my place so he had somewhere to live.

Wethers should reappear in the NBL this year - was a shame to lose him last season - quality import.

Reply #75128 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Is Wethers a done deal at NZ this season?

Reply #75144 | Report this post

Colin F  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #75176 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Isaac - so Willie gets let of the leash for 06/06 and than phil cracks down for the 07/07 part of the season and the Sixers lose out in an elimination game again!

Reply #75225 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754