Isaac
Years ago

Media release: Wheeler and Copeland sign

It's official. Brett Wheeler and Lanard Copeland have agreed to terms with the Sixers.

The Adelaide Pura Milk 36ers are set to take a leap forward in replacing their off-season losses. Yesterday, home grown big man Brett Wheeler and future NBL Hall-of-Fame inductee, Lanard Copeland, agreed to terms to play for the 36ers in the 2006/07 season.

Wheeler, a 431 NBL game veteran, played 170 games for the 36ers from 1991 to 1997 before moving to Melbourne and having playing stints at South East Melbourne, Victoria, Perth and Sydney. He is the all-time leader in NBL Grand Final games played, finally securing his first Championship with the Kings in 2004. He was also a member of the Australian Boomers squad in 2003 and 2004. Wheeler did not play in the 2005/06 NBL season to allow his body to heal and fully recover from ankle surgery, which will enable him to extend his illustrious career.

Copeland, who formed one of the greatest backcourt duos of all time with Andrew Gaze, played 13 seasons for the Melbourne Tigers from 1992 to 2005 before shifting to Brisbane last season. He won two Championships with the Tigers in 1993 and 1997, and the Grand Final MVP in 1997. Copeland will be looking forward to the 36ers "freelance" style of basketball, which will only complement the way he has played his career.

There will be a press conference held at the Distinctive Homes Dome at 1.00pm today to formally make this announcement. Coach Phil Smyth and Captain Brett Maher will be in attendance. Also, newly signed Mark Nash, will be attending to talk about his new two-year deal with the club.

For further information, please contact Adelaide Pura Milk 36ers Communications Coordinator Paul Bauer on 8444 6417.
Bit of a gamble from the club taking on Nash, Wheeler and Copeland in one hit, but will it pay off? We've seen D-Mac show how the 40 year old set can get it done.

Topic #6814 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

One step forward, and two steps back...

This is nothing short of pathetic.

Reply #76234 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

in a first the adelaide36ers.com website has got the info out first.

Reply #76241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably on one year contracts so when the 6ers become privatised next year the new owners have free reigns and no commitments.

Reply #76247 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Albeit ten years too late it is good to see 'Wheels' finally getting a better deal from the Sixers. Not like the early days where they took advantage of him because he was a nice bloke. I just hope it works out for him otherwise he will cop a fair amount of flak if the rumoured $$$ amount is correct.

Reply #76253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any chance we can get the ABA season extended through the NBL season so we can watch some competitive bball this year?!?!

Reply #76255 | Report this post

Randy Watson  
Years ago

Easy to sit back bag the club...rather than support!

Wheeler is a Championship winning centre and Copeland will be the great value coming off the bench. Copeland is still one of the smartest players in the comp, I don't think he was a good fit at Brisbane.

I think Lennard will enjoy Phil's coaching style and I'm sure the Adelaide faithful will get behind Copes and Wheels!

Well done 36ers!

Reply #76261 | Report this post

While these signings may seem odd on the surface I think that they are great for the club.

As Phil as said publicly, this is a rebuilding year. Copes and Wheeler will ensure we are competetive as they know how to win.

As previousl mentioned they are not long term contracts so there is flexibility and any young talent will have a chance to learn from guys who have been there and had great success.

I just hope that Phil learns from the mistakes of the past and uses this time to invest in real youth talent and use the new recruits to help this development.

Go Sixers in 2006!

ps I think we are WAY better off without Holmes - the most overrated player in Aus basketball. Oscar is the real loss for us but as he indicated, there is a chance we may see him back in his prime.

Reply #76276 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Great wille and copes together, both dont mind jacking it up and both can go real cold for long periods of time!

I think this year more than any we will live and die by the three and the fire power of maher, willie and copes.

Reply #76291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are rebuilding why has the average age of the squad gone through the roof!

Reply #76297 | Report this post

kingman  
Years ago

My question is, will the 3 new signings get through a full season, i would think not, the bench better be strong or the 6ers will be looking a wood rather than silver.

Reply #76301 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

The most exciting thing about these signings is Copes has been dubbed the bigges trash talker in the league. We now get to listed to him talk $hit to players like Heal (probably), James Harvey and Stephen Black.

Hope he's got the walk to back up the talk.

Reply #76307 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Sorry guys, but you can't compare Lanard with D-Mac.

D-Mac is playing smarter with age, while Copeland is stil trying to play like a 25 year old and failing.

D-Mac is driving the car, while Copes has moved from the passenger seat, to the back seat.

Reply #76346 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I've done some calculations.

Let's say we're paying one 40-year-old (a 40-year-old who tore up the league last year averaging 9ppg, 2rpg and 1apg) the same as we could be paying to develop two 20-year-olds who conceivably could combine to get those same numbers.

My question is: why stop there? Why not pay an 80-year-old to play for half a season? Or, could we get four 10-year-olds for a whole year?

Reply #76546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754