Cosmo
Years ago

Nick Hambour

After seeing Nick play last night and what others have been saying and looking back at his stats this season i am wondering if Nick has been re signed by the sixers and if not i cant fatham why they wouldnt have the last thing we need is an interstate club to pick him up! What are peoples thoughts?

Topic #6845 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

I think potentially losing Nick Hambour to an inter-state club is the least of the Sixers problems.

Reply #76529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second time this season he has missed out on a triple double by only 1 assist. Unlike certain other Sixer players, Hambour can actually pass the ball and make his team mates better. Why wouldnt you tell him to go out and set some picks for Brett, Willie and Lanard.

Reply #76533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Smyth hasn't spoken to Hambour since the post-season player meetings. I think he could do worse than shop his recent ABA form around to a few other clubs who could find a place for him in their teams.

Look at his last three games: 17, 13 and 9 last night. 21 and 19 against Puddifoot and Rees. And 20, 19 and 9 against the admittedly Cooper-less Flames. He's the only forward in the top ten assist list and is actually top ten in PPG, RPG and APG, as well as FG% and FT%. Top five HSA ratings in the men so far runs Reggie, Hambour, Oscar, Dix and Cooper. Give him another run I say (ignore J Bags too!).

Reply #76534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABL is alot different to NBL

From the very little i have seen of him, can't perform that well and todd gower even did more than him. Maybe Hambor needs to get in it more, id on't know. Toughen up a bit?

Maybe give Matt Sutton a go. They said that they have him on the sixers team in the newspaper. Or the squad atleast.

Reply #76576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth needs to give him more court time, a chance to prove himself.

I think he should try and go to an interstate club, to a coach who will actually give him some time.

Reply #76578 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

For the life of me I do not understand why people continually insist on suggesting that Phil Smyth should give some young guys a go. That is not his system; it never has and never will be, until the NBL may it a necessity to bring the young guys into the system and make it virtually impossible for the older guys to get a new contract at a new club Phil will go with the veteran players. He has publicly said that he believes that the NBL is not a development league and even mentioned the Tiger winning the title last season as a way of justifying the signing of the player this year.

What ever player is given the number 9 and 10 position on the bench will receive little or no time at all, or until they are down by 40 points. He is that coach and he is the one who has to take the responsibility for the side, as soon as he has a losing season and he has to rebuild he will continue to recruit known player and keep a tight hold on his playing system.

Reply #76580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The last time Smyth won a championship he was giving three young players regular minutes. None had college experience - one had been at the AIS for a single year and given limited time even then, and another got a couple of years but was injured for part of one. I'm not talking Hambour-minutes like last year, these guys (Holmes, Forman and Illman) were regularly used in the regular season even in a line-up that already went eight deep before them.

I remember Oscar's first game - he got on in the first quarter, hit his first three and blocked Paul Rogers. Can you imagine Hambour getting that opportunity even in his second year now?

Reply #76581 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

no Isaac I can't but then I can't see you converting JoeM either.

Hambour for the games I've seen him this year is impressive. He deserves more court time, which he obviously won't get at the sixers, time for him to move on for his own development.

Reply #76582 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Tony B

No need to convince me, I would love to see the Sixer full of young South Australians (Hill, Holmes, Forman, Newley, Ingles, Dodman, and a veterans to round out the squad) but Phil Smyth is the coach and he isn't going to be replaced any time soon. He is the one who refuses to recruit them and if he does get them on the team they don't get court time, just because I don't support his philosophy doesn't mean I cannot show him support and that's just what I am doing. We don't have them player so there is no point in continuing to suggest that he should give this player court time because he doesn't or that's the impression I get from watching the games.

Reply #76587 | Report this post

nic nac  
Years ago

Ok all those with great knowledge on how Smyth doesnt recruit or develop talent some things to ponder he does not control the purse strings so he can talk to players till he is blue in the face if you dont have the money to match others they arent coming or if you cant get close they definately arent coming.Issac you should know better than any re Oscars situation but 4 seasons ago he couldnt get a scholarship back to the A.I.S.no club wanted him or spoke to him Phil told him he could make it and put a lot of faith in him and obviously helped him develop to where N.Z came in and offered more oney.Jacob had been ask to leave the A.I.S after an injury to his foot in fact it was Smyth who was heavily involved in keeping Jacob at the A.I.S where he wanted to be to rehab his injury.When he came out and played his first year with the 36ers he struggled but Phil supported him worked with him and he continued to get better now the Dragons give him a offer he cant refuse and he is gone must be Phils fault cant develop anyone.Lets see we want Newley,Forman,Holmes,Rogers and Ingles plus some others how would you get them all in under the cap and getting all the court time they want good luck oh yea how many trainings do you guys attend to actually know what goes on with these guys lets wait and see if players that leave improve or go back then lets ask what was the better program for them

Reply #76602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oscar was flown to LMU and the coaches were chasing him very hard for a Div 1 scholarship. I don't think it's accurate to imply that there was no interest in his future at all. At the time, I don't believe that Darnell Mee approved of Smyth trying to get him to stay in Adelaide, but you are correct in that Oscar and Jacob were shown appropriate interest by the club - solid contracts, good court opportunities, etc.

I just don't know if it's been all that great since then. e.g., you've made no comment on offering Ingles a spot in the thirteen and a sub-rookie wage? For a guy likened to Kukoc by Goorjian and touted as having potential near that of Bogut and Newley by his AIS coach, I don't think that's enough. I wouldn't have a problem with losing that type of talent to a better financial offer interstate if I knew that the non-financial elements of the offer were substantial.

Time will tell if Holmes and Forman improve further elsewhere, you are definitely correct. I just know for a fact that Forman left specifically to pursue a greater emphasis on individual development because that's what he needs. The difference between what the Sixers were offering and what he was asking for was $5,000 - money wasn't a big motivating factor, he couldn't even be coaxed over to NZ in the off-season last year.

You could fit those players under the cap and give them minutes.

Maher, Newley, Hill, Forman, Ingles, Holmes, Rogers - approx. $645k even giving Maher max, Forman what he wanted this year, Ingles double what the Sixers offered him, Holmes a $30k upgrade and so on. Even lose Rogers for an import at a similar price and you've still got $130k for two scrubs and $80k on a role-playing import or Aussie, maybe a point guard, a Kendall, a Luke Martin for less than that, etc.

Signing players before they get bonus offers from elsewhere would go a long way to keeping a roster like that under the cap. Play Maher for 35 minutes, Newley for 35, Hill for 20, Forman 30, Holmes 35, Ingles 10-15, one import 35, another for 25. Could even have 15 minutes spare to blood the scrubs. Obviously that's all theoretically, but I don't think it's unfeasible.

Reply #76608 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

WHY?????

All I have to say is Why?

No NBL for the very rare, and endangered species of large assed Bour.

Reply #76627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you enjoy your 40 something point loss on the weekend j bags.

Reply #76630 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

No Anon I was not happy with the result....
That was a very silly question.

You should really improve your material. It wasn't even amusing.

If I said "So Anon which do you consider yourself first: Actress, comedic writer, or basketball player?" that would get a smile, but then I followed it up with a question like. "well I would assume you are a cork head, because your anonomus posts, and lack luster comments really have no substance, and I feel that you should no longer write on this forum as people will see the calibre of the topics dropping off dramaticly, and therefore not come back.

Have a nice nite in your sleeping bag.

Reply #76667 | Report this post

SkyHigh  
Years ago

Hey Isaac when you were saying about Smyth giving Forman, Holmes and Illman a go was that Matt Illman you were talking about if so he would be about 26 this year and was he the coach at the And1 Camp thanks

Reply #76678 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Isaac...very true what you said about the 2002 team, but let's not get too carried away. Neither of those three players averaged over ten minutes a game that season and none got a second of court time during the Finals.

Reply #76679 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You have to admit that the difference between three rookies getting regular minutes and Hambour getting very, very rare opportunities is substantial. Sticking with the core rotation for the finals isn't unusual either.

Skyhigh, Illman is probably that age, but I don't know if he has been coaching recently. I think he's been more involved in football since his time in the NBL.

Reply #76693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

okay, i have been hearing dodman and people putting him in there line ups but can someone tell me who this player is.

who does he play for?

Reply #76694 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jordan Dodman is maybe 6'8" (203cm) and is playing with Sturt's ABL Men's team, but not really getting a whole lot of minutes. He's pretty young (18 years old) and could pursue a career in basketball or football. I don't know that he's ready for the ten this year at the Sixers, but if he's interested, I think he could be worth a development spot (probably along with Matt Sutton?).

Others might know more.

Reply #76696 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Go watch a Sturt Sabres ABA game on a Saturday night (usually) at 8.15pm. Many have put his name forward as a potential Sixers recruit but I fail to see that he is good enough at that level.

Reply #76697 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Anon,

Jordan is an 18 year old 6'8" - 6'9" 4/5 man from Sturt. His stats aren't overwhelmingly impressive, but from the bits I've seen of him this season, he's held his own.

He also had a brief stint at the AIS (before deciding to return home) and made the Australian U19 team.

Whilst EC doesn't see the value in him (he isn't bald, and doesn't ask for donations on his website, so I guess he's off her list), I think he's worthy of a chance. I think Potsie has underplayed him this season, and he has more upside than any other big currently in SA.

Reply #76699 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hoop Addict, you make me laugh. If a website with plees for donations is what he needs to improve to NBL level, then let him go for it. I personally fail to see the relevance.

Reply #76707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks people!

Reply #76717 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754