Hoop Addict
Years ago

More NBL signings, Boucher, Williamson

It's reported on nbl.com.au that Drew Williamson has been signed by the Townsville Crocs. He's a 6'5" shooting guard coming off a stint at Metro State under Mike Dunlap. I guess he will likely back up Newley (filling in Rob Rose's spot) and possibly even step into Newley's starting role should he try his hand at the NBA in the near future.

I know Isaac has mentioned him before in regards to him being a good pickup. Makes me wonder if the 6ers approached him before signing Copeland to the same position. My guess would be no, but I think we should be looking at getting guys like this to round out our roster rather than over-the-hill 38 year olds.

Dillon Boucher has also signed with Brisbane. I guess he'll fill in Egan's role as backup at the 3/4 spots.

Topic #6852 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

There's talk of Andrew Rice heading to Townsville too but I don't know how likely that is. You'd think he'd have to be a cheap pick-up after a season of injury?

There's also a rumour about the Bullets going after CJ Bruton now that he's broken his contract with the Kings with a view to trying for the NBA or going to Europe. Those pesky Bullets!

Reply #76615 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

CJ & Black in the back court? Couldn't see it happening, but gees it'd be dynamic. A 5 of Bruton, Black, Mackinnon, Rychart, Bradtke would be pretty fearsome.

Reply #76619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we had approached Williamson and made him a decent offer then he might have been here. He played many years of juniors at Sturt with Shepherd, Campbell, Holmes etc before moving to Sydney. He has many friends here and it would have been a good situation for him with plenty of time in a backup 1/2 role. My guess is that the 6ers don't even know who he is!

Reply #76620 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

According to Sportal, Andrew Rice has indeed signed with the Townsville Crocs. Whilst he's never lived up to his potential in my opinion, he's still a pretty solid backup big man, who has good range.

He's playing for Bendigo in the SEABL competition after missing substantial time last NBL season with injury. In 3 SEABL games so far, he is averaging 21ppg & 13rpg.

Reply #76807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Townsville have now picked up two players that I would've bet money that Smyth would've gone for - Egan and Rice.

Off the top of my head, after losing Quick, Lowery, Tragardh, Rose, Stacker and Ninnis (and probably Calvary), that gives the Crocs: Robertson, Cedar, Rillie, Williamson, Newley, Egan, Abney, Rice, and Vanderjagt. One spot left and they have an import allocation to use.

Reply #76819 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not sure that Townsville has done all that much in the way of improving.

And Newley is no sure starter for next season.

They would want a couple of good signings yet to consolidate that roster.

Reply #76832 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

If nothing else, I think the Crocs have gotten a bit younger. Replacing dead wood like Rose & Lawry with guys like Williamson & Rice is a good move, IMO. I think they see Cedar as their backup PG, which made Quick expendable.

I don't think it's a fantastic lineup, and I think they'll be middle of the road, but there's more scope for them to improve with their current group than with the oldies they had before.

Reply #76863 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

with the experience gleeson brings to the group and the young team with a good work ethic, i see a good chance the crocs might just be a little stronger than everyone thinks. remember they still have Newley, Rillie, Abney, vanderjagt(a good young centre who is only going to get better as the season progresses) and if you throw in a solid american point guard you have yourself a damn good starting five. backing that up with Egan, Rice,Williamson, kelvin and cedar i see a real formidable team.

Reply #76870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754