C:Dos/Run
Years ago

Standard Of Refereeing

Ok before i get hammered with continual posts of 'This Topic Has Already Been Done'.......

Id like to look at it from a different view.

How are the referee's doing this year in the ABL?

Lets try to keep it generalized and maybe areas on which the standard is below previous years?

Keep it to positives and generalized terms.

I personally think that there is a good blend of old and new faces, and the guys coming through are coping well.

Any thoughts?

Topic #6888 | Report this topic

Glenn S.  
Years ago

I would agree the referees in Div 1 are doing a great job, their communication is good and they are keeping a fairly tight lid on the game without disrupting the flow of the game.

I would like to see less repeated warnings to players however...
"Get your hands off!!" over and over again gets a bit frustrating especially in the same possession. warn once if it continues blow the whistle.

But I will reinforce again I think they are doing a good job.

Reply #76980 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Saw on the FIBA site third one down "Official Physical Fitness Test for Referees".

Out of curiosity do refs actually do this? for those without time to download it, it is basically a version of the 20 m shuttle run or "beep test". what do refs have to achieve, some look like they would have a good aerobic capacity others... (not bagging just a comment).

Do have to agree with glenn though we let a lot of hand checking go (and your other comment div1 are doing a good job mostly, but i didn't say it ;))

Reply #76984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unless its changed recently it has to be 11min on the beep test, age and sex dependant.

Reply #76986 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

So what you are you saying there. That they all have to be of age and have sex for 11 mins. There goes my 3mins out the window!

Reply #76996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember all referees having to achieve a minimum on the beep test, however the minimum for females was less than males, which I never understood as they were expected to referee the same games?

If people want equal pay for equal job, need to be equally qualified, allowing female referees a lower qualification on fitness is not helping.

Reply #77013 | Report this post

nightcat  
Years ago

I've heard of one state, where you had to do the beep test (shuttle run), then had to do a "Power Run": Full Court - Back - Half Court - Back, the first time in 20, then 19 then 18 seconds... but you only had 30 seconds break between each run. You would have 5 minute between the end of the Shuttle Run and the Power Run.

Reply #77018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same in S.A.

Reply #77020 | Report this post

Bed of Roses  
Years ago

Glen, the way we are coached regarding hand checking and other contact is to talk to the players b4 there is contact.

So If we can prevent the defender pushing the ball handeler then we can avoid having to disrupt the flow of the game.

Of course if the defender keeps the arm on and disadvantages the offence then a foul should be called.

Two hands on is a automatic foul

Reply #77025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good one BC! I guess 11 minutes (or three minutes if thats all that can be handled) of your "fitness regime" ;-) would be a lot more fun than running up and down the court.
I reckon if the players did that as their warm up for before the game, the men would be better behaved because of less testosterone levels.

Reply #77079 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I feel there is a large difference in the standard between the top umpires and the up and comers..... the problem is most of the umps who have been around for a while are doing mainly mens games.

So I feel the girls miss out on quality as a result.

Just a theory - maybe they need to pay the same to the umpires for mens games and womans......

I think the umpiring has improved because there are some good ex nbl umpires coaching them like butler and a ex nbl umpire from queensland.

Cant remember his name

Reply #77088 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

BC, if you go twice as fast for 1m.30sec, does that still count?

Reply #77099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bob Vink - is the NBL ex Qlder

the women's games are paid less cause they take less time 4 x 10 = 40
men 4 x 12 = 48

Reply #77101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you'll find a lot of the senior guys are doing women's game. Just last week the West v Forestville Women's game had two Senior Refs on the game.

Reply #77108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beep tests prove nothing except for who can run for the longest period of time.

Would you rather a ref who can run for the entire game, or for a ref who actually knows the rules and can implement them?

Basically, do you want a ref who can run fast or one who can keep up with the game and actually "ref" the game!

Reply #77111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is probably trying to be achieved is a state of fitness such that there is no excuse for not being in the right spot at the right time. Also, great fitness can lead to a great appearance which will serve the referee well on court.

They probably do continue to work on their rule knowledge as well as their fitness - maintaining a high level of understanding of coaching principles and general game play is most important - then you can referee the game to the understanding of the players and coaches without stopping the flow of the game of no apparent reason.

Reply #77113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Standard of Officiating is definately increasing and I commend the top guys for showing leadership in professionalism and hard work.

Neil Poulton is doing a great job and from what I here the NBL as implemented a system that ensures referees continually work and develop as well as the senior guys putting back into their state league levels.

And guess what - it will only keep getting better as the system takes off.

Reply #77115 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Pickles housemate, if I went twice as fast. I get friction burn. I keep forgetting to use the cream!

Reply #77116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can you two and your cream get a room?

Reply #77117 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

BC's not my type.
I don't have a type.
Can I have someone else's type?
I can type though.

PS - i like sugar, not cream.

(This was your fault Isaac!)

Reply #77170 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

so does anyone know exactly what score for the beep test the refs have to get? i got 13.2 at school.

Reply #77194 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

VC fan if you got 13.2 this would give you an estimated VO2 max of about 57.6 ml/kg/min. Which i would suggest is more than the cut off (dont know what that is) and probably more than "most" of the refs. You were probably the last one running in your class too given the current obesity trend.

So if you are trying to be a ref, work on your knowledge and calling of the game as you are a few hundred doughnuts off the average ref.

Reply #77195 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I know at least one ref in Aba who has achieved 13 in my time. many others get to 11.3 or sometimes 12.

The minimum is 10.3 for most of the men and 11.3 for the top pannel.

girls only have to achieve around 8.5 i think

they also have to past a theory test.

Reply #77207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754