Isaac
Years ago

Daws: Sixers to rebound

Bit of a fluffy piece in The Advertiser today talking about the future of the Adelaide 36ers. Quotes from Daws re Sixers:

"We can continue to have them as a part of BSA. We can sell the team to a private owner and 'take the money and run' if you like.

"We can take the middle ground to ensure a link to basketball's grassroots with a group ownership. That would present a more evenly balanced way of operating the team, with a board of wise men. We could also look at a licensing arrangement with BSA.

"That one has never been tried in the NBL and I'm not sure how the league would react to that."
Well, that narrows it down.
"a link to basketball's grassroots with a group ownership"

"a more evenly balanced way of operating the team, with a board of wise men"
I would think that the last board would've considered themselves "wise men" too, right? What in the new case would stop the same things from happening? (I mean, besides having a chairperson who knows what Talking Hoops is.)
They have the lowest number of junior teams, which could have much to do with having the greatest distances to travel. Regionalisation could be a saviour.
Now, I don't follow junior basketball all that closely (only what I skim read on here) - are we talking about limiting players only to the club in their area, or are we talking about domestic competitions? If the latter, haven't Arnott and Mesecke been pushing this for a while now with limited support from then-BASA? Anyone?

I like seeing basketball in the paper (especially a solid page on a Tuesday) and I don't blame Daws for trying to get word out that the gears are still turning, but I think the entire article could be summarised as "No news re Sixers, no import yet". There has to be more news in SA basketball than that. Given that things are so up in the air that they can't really make definitive statements, what about looking at some ABL and conveniently name-dropping the efforts of Brad Hill, Brad Gerlach, Nick Hambour, mention that Steve Breheny was at Pasadena checking out Austin Smylie's game, etc.

Can anyone see a leasing scenario working?

Topic #6931 | Report this topic

knackers  
Years ago

More fluff and wind!
I think everyone just wants some definitive answers about where our great game is heading in S.A.
A leasing scenario has me very, very concerned that the current CEO is getting some very, very bad advice from people who are probably more interested in protecting their own jobs than the greater good of the sport.
The 36ers must be sold, lets stop dancing aroud the issue and start gathering appropriate offers and make an informed, UNBIASED and correct decision so the 36ers are a force for many years to come.

Reply #77553 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

Bring back Mal Simpson.

Reply #77558 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be fair, when nothing's final, there's nothing Daws can really say along those lines. He can't categorically deny a move from the Dome because a private buyer might want to shift them, for example.

What I would like to see at least is a few snippets of information that helps us all have an understanding of why they might make a certain decision. A good example, IMO, was yesterday when Daws revealed the loss-figure for the Lightning and gave his opinion that it didn't have a strong influence on the financial standing of BSA. So, we can take that and think "OK, at that price, hopefully that means the Lightning will still be around."

We could definitely hope for a bit more information about some of the advantages and disadvantages of each approach with regard to selling/keeping/leasing. Or even something like what requirements might BSA have on a leasing situation (e.g., must use Dome, must provide players for x hrs/wk school visits, etc).

Reply #77562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do the clubs that are near bankrupt (Centrals and Southern) get out of the shit?

Reply #77584 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

Interesting that the loss in the Lightning Budget is 60K.
That is acceptable.

Why do they penny pinch on Junior coaches entering other stadiums?

I think a 60k program would be on the cheaper end for any WNBL club?
What do others think?

Reply #77618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the sort of REbound one goes on when one is dumped by their girlfriend (or boyfriend)?

I can just imagine the results here...
not!

Reply #77622 | Report this post

Rueben R  
Years ago

i think boti was taking some journalistic creativity into his story when suggesting regionalisation.

As for the april 30, by what was said, i guess we can expect a management re-structure. having said that, that may mean job losses, or role changes, but the big question will be, will the govt let go of its dome-debt-strangle hold they have on basketball in this state?

Reply #77626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they will or I will vote Liberal..Shit I did and lost!!

Reply #77627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of things.

As someone close to a group that is considering buying the 36ers, a leasing option will not work.

With Boti, he seems to be bored of basketball in SA these days. They need to get some fresh blood there. Even if Boti stays, it would be good to have different views, like we see with the footy.

I must admit, I prefer reading Isaac's game reviews rather then Boti's. No offence to Boti, he has been great for many years, but a new view would be nice.

Reply #77656 | Report this post

new blood  
Years ago

Boti always uses "creativity" in his stories. I would never use the word journalism in a sentence referring to him.

Hear hear Anonymous, definitely need new blood at Tiser. Someone who is not sarcastic and bitter.

Reply #77682 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

If you read the article he has used a fair degree of poetic licence. To say the Southern Tigers are struggling with the lowest number of Junior Teams is ridiculous.

2006 Winter Season

Sturt 51 teams
Southern 50 teams

That makes them the second biggest Club.

Hardly struggling and not relying on regionalisation to survive.

If anything regionalisation may make them bigger.

Boti needs to be carefull what he wrtes in his articles.

Reply #77732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754