ShutUp!
Years ago

NBA Draft - Not the Final say

I was thinking that the Draft didn't necessarily mean everything as far as getting a competitive team on the Court, as I had in mind Spurs & Knicks as 2 teams at oppoiste ends of the results column & thought their draft picking wouldn't be too different. So I actually had a look at the Rosters of the Top 2 & Bottom 2 teams (as at today anyway) from each conference.
One interesting fact is that the Top teams have 13 Undrafted Players in their rosters & the bottom teams have only 6.
Here is the figures for these 8 teams: -

Spurs
1st Round - 8 (Top 10 - 1)
2nd Round - 3
Undrafted - 3
Mavs
1st Round - 9 (Top 10 - 7)
2nd Round - 0
Undrafted - 6
Pistons
1st Round - 10 (Top 10 - 5)
2nd Round - 3
Undrafted - 2
Heat
1st Round - 11 (Top 10 - 6)
2nd Round - 2
Undrafted - 2

Warriors
1st Round - 11 (Top 10 - 6)
2nd Round - 2
Undrafted - 1
Trailblazers
1st Round - 11 (Top 10 - 3)
2nd Round - 3
Undrafted - 0
Bobcats
1st Round - 8 (Top 10 - 2)
2nd Round - 3
Undrafted - 3
Knicks
1st Round - 10 (Top 10 - 5)
2nd Round - 3
Undrafted - 2

I know this doesn't take into account trades & Free Agent signings, but it seems to me that the Spurs have done very well with what was not predicted (at Draft time anyway) to be a very good squad, so it is it just their recruiting people doing a better job, or is it also the opportunity to play alongside a quality big man in Duncan, that has brought players to the team.

Topic #6947 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Look at the success that both the Mavs and Spurs have had in drafting Europeans.

Both these teams are leaders in tapping into European talent.

Reply #77853 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Stat padding I know, but also look at the players both these teams draft in the second round.

Reply #77854 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Spurs have always drafted well late in the draft. As they are always successful, they always end up with a pick in the 20's.

Last draft they selected Ian Mahinmi from France, a raw 18 year old that may turn out to be someone great - keep checking in years to come.

But drafts are funny.. even with good scouting reports, players can turn out to be duds.. eg Kwame brown at number one pick, compared to Lebron as a number one pick. Both dominating high schoolers, but how much better is Lebron!!!

Reply #77942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754