Stephon
Years ago

Brett Wheeler watch- Game 2 for Sandringham

Sorry if this has already been posted but Brett Wheeler scored 11 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in 44 minutes for the Sandringham Sabres who defeated Dandenong 91 to 80.

Out of interest, Marcus Timmons who also expressed an interest to become a 36er is averaging 24ppg, 15 rebounds and 5 assists over the first 2 games of the Big V season.

I understand that the 36ers are looking at 4 young players to complete our roster as we have already exceeded our quota of over 30s and that Timmons is not an option.

Topic #6960 | Report this topic

Joe M  
Years ago

Is the ABA in Victoria that much better than the South Australian ABA? Why wouldn't Brett Wheeler come back to SA and play for South Adelaide

If it is going to more beneficial for him to play in Victoria then that what he has to do but if not I don't understand why an SA club was not an option. (other than money and I could also except that)

Reply #78032 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

im not 100% sure but from what ive read the big v league is of a higher standard, but others on here would be able to answer this better maybe yogee or isaac someone who is more involved

Reply #78100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

much much better JoeM

Brett would get a much better game playing in the Big V or even SEABL than coming back to play for South in the ABA.

Reply #78105 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

I'm starting up a collection so he can stay in Vic, any takers?

Reply #78130 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Wasn't wheeler a Noarlunga Boy?

Reply #78133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he was a Noarlungar boy (with Bradtke) but ended his Bank SA days at South Adelaide with his Brother Jason (IIRC)

Reply #78167 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Wheeler scored 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds (4 offensive and 8 defensive)in 27 minutes for Sandringham last night as they defeated the Melbourne Tigers 88-71.

Timmons had a game high 29 points, 14 rebounds and 3 assists. Crosswell had a near triple double with 12 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists.

Not bad having 3 NBL starter calibre players in your ABA line-up.

Sandringham play again today.

Reply #78207 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

thanks for the update Stephon,

and just a side comment

im starting up a collection to remove Vadersmate from the boards

Reply #78214 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Thanks Thomo; all donations greatfully accepted. I have no problems taking money for nothing, a bit like Wheeler and Rodgers.

Reply #78254 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

rogers i agree with totally but my judgement is reserved on wheeler it was only 2 years ago he won sydney a championship on 1 leg if that was rogers he would be sooking on a bench

Reply #78263 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Wheeler got 15pts, 10reb, 4 steals, 1 block and an assist in 38 minutes in a 96-85 win over Diamond Valley.

Reply #78272 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

seems like hes having a solid season, thanks for the updates stephon,

out of interest wheres copeland playing ?

Reply #78274 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Fair call on Rodgers. I hope Wheeler proves me wrong. I am worried like most others that paying for someone after having an extended lay off is frought with danger. Considering the talent we have just let walk out of the Dome it is frustrating to hear us signing 40 year old players and players recovering from major down time.

I guess it may be a sign of things to come untill the white Knights show up with some cash.

Reply #78282 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

dont get me wrong im not happy with copeland but if its what we can afford so be it, and who knows he may prove us wrong (hope so)

but i think wheeler at 33?34? is not to big a gamble

and the team prob needed a bit of a shake up, but saying that i too am disapointed with some of the talent thats left,

Reply #78296 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

No question Vadersmate that the 36ers are going to have to have a lot of luck this season to make the top 4 injury wise.

I wouldn't put much money on Maher, Copeland, Wheeler and Nash going through the season unscathed but that is what we are going to need to contend.

That and an All NBL type second import.

Then again, you could argue that it took a lot of luck last season to finish top 4. We were 9-1 when we could have been 2-8 if not for good fortune in last second situations.

36ers are rolling the dice with Wheeler and Copeland that is for sure.

Wheeler is a warrior compared to Rogers. It will take a lot to make him miss a game but lets hope he is able to have an uninterrupted year because at 100% Wheels is the best centre the 36ers have had in a long time.

Reply #78300 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Wheeler is the centre we have needed for several years, but only as a replacement for Rees. We didn't have to lose any of the other players. You would think that Rees' salary plus the increase in salary cap may have been enough to get Wheeler. Unfortunately that would have never been enough because to keep the players we lost, the club would have had to offer them a lot more. The fact that they were highly valued by other clubs is a clear indication of what we have lost. Considering Daws said that they would spend the whole of the cap, it just makes you angry that the salary cap does not seem to work the same way for all clubs. Under the same salary cap, we lost players we could not afford when others could.

Reply #78320 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

again because there is no level playing field in the NBL, untill the police the cap like the NRL there will be substantial Under the Table Deals, and Job for the Boys. ala Brisbane, the fact is teams like adelaide and perth (im sure theres more who do as well) atm adhere to the cap, others do not, so untill its policed there may as well be no salary cap, and the fine for breaching it in any case is laughable

Reply #78325 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

are there any more updates on how wheelers is going, ?

Reply #79072 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754