mavericks and sturt

would just about do it

??????

fact or fiction

Topic #7035 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

fiction

the money raised on the sale would be injected back into all district clubs.

Reply #78914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

money raised will probably be going to the government to pay off the debt which they have taken upon themselves, after all arent they now effectively the owners of the licenses and the dome and they are selling them not bsa

Reply #78917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the government will recieve all funds as they have wiped the debt and will make money on what ever is sold, clubs wont see any reward from this.

Reply #78925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offence, but why would North consider taking on Centrals or Sturt take on Mavericks debt, (if rumours on here are even halfway to being correct).
Also, If they are correct, then Woodville/West merger would see that new club start out with a large debt, as well.

Maybe this would be a way to enforce an ABL Salary Cap.

i.e. You can only bring in a NBL/WNBL/import player if the Club is financial with BSA, that way clubs would have to develop their juniors until their finances have improved.

Reply #78938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But, if the 36ers, lightning and Dome were supposed to be a drain on the finances of BASA then while BASA won't get a "windfall" lump sum with the disposal they should be in a position of breaking even on cash at the very worst or possibly be cash positive to allow for devlopment/improvements in "grass roots" basketball.

If this doesn't happen then the administrators have, in my opinion, failed to address the wider basketball issue. Without leaving BASA in a position to be financial on an ongoing basis we will simply be where we are now some time in the not too distant future.

Reply #78939 | Report this post

not a rumour just speculative of what "mergers" may take place

just forum gossip

Reply #78941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the idea of the "Eastern Sabres" - has a nice ring to it. Certainly better than "Sturt Mavericks" though some unkind people out there may see the irony of such a name!!

Reply #78942 | Report this post

woodville balla  
Years ago

WESTERN WARRIORS has a very nice ring 2 it.

Reply #78943 | Report this post

if west and woodville merged a lot of div 1 players would miss out - HOWEVER they would be a very awesome combination - where woodville are deficient - west are strong, where west are deficent woodville are strong

Reply #78945 | Report this post

Bearcat  
Years ago

I like the idea of a West/Woodville merger.

Playing in colours of Red & Black we could call ourselves the West Adelaide Bearcats....(who would ever want to be involved with woodville...)

Reply #78951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before we worry about a Woodville West merger (although im sure Woodville wouldnt have a bar of west) what about magic. surely they would absolve into one of the western clubs first. or are they not even worth worrying about?

Reply #78952 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Mergers are a good thing. We had to merge South East Sudan Magic with the Sudan Supersonics two years ago. They are now know as the South Sudan Supersonics and haven't lost a game in two years. This is mainly due to the fact that I'm the main player and no one can stop me in the post.

We're looking to recuit a 6'8 swing man to the squad. I think a guy like Sam Grantham would be ideal for us.

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

Reply #78953 | Report this post

Past Champion  
Years ago

Bearcat,

As long as West Adelaide is allowed to play out of Port Adelaide would make it fair.

Reply #78954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would Sturt get from the Mav's other than some debt?

Why wouldn't they just wait for Mav's to colapse and have those families who want to be involved at Sturt approach them?

Reply #78956 | Report this post

Orlando Woolridge  
Years ago

Hey Manute,

I'm in great game shape! I think i'd fit in well in your post orientated offence.

Would I have to get one of those plates inserted into my mouth to be accepted?

O

Reply #78960 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Orlando,

Going by your previous posts I don't think you would be very good for our team chemistry.

Our main target at the moment is Sam Grantham. If he falls through then we might consider you.

I'll call you though!

Reply #78961 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not sure you all get it. None of the clubs are financial, as they share the BSA debt. The gov is bailing out basketball at all levels and it will determine what structure (if any) will be left at the end. No point talking about not wanting to merge. The gov has the clubs by the proverbials. If the gov is to wipe more than $10M in debt from all of the clubs it can and will do what it likes.

Reply #78962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

78938, club debts are paper debt - its just debt to BSA.

The real issue is all the money BSA has tied up in non profit making assets. Owning stadiums is not BSAs core business. Owning stadiums is the business of schools, councils and government.

Mergers would enable BSA to sell off cost creating assets and they would probably write of the debt the clubs have to them anyway.

Reply #78965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are involved with a club where BSA has a long term lease or ownership interest in your stadium I would think you would either need to merge or move your venue.

Reply #78966 | Report this post

Orlando Woolridge  
Years ago

Stuff you Manute!

You couldnt afford me anyway! I'll stay here in L.A. chillin with my main man Gene Banks checking out all the hotties!

Reply #78968 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Orlando,

You're Luggage!!

Reply #78988 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Congrats. Post of the year.

"Woodville wouldn't havwe a bar of West"

Surely you are joking (I hope) as it would have to be the other way around.

Why would West (if they had any choice, which I doubt they will over time) consider merging with Woodville?

Other than Woodvilles "specials", what would they bring to the table that could interest West?

Reply #78994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about the entire junior girls program??

Reply #79020 | Report this post

woodville / west girls merger would be awesome - they would seriously be in line for the number 1 spot - a few div 1 girls would lose their spots but where west is deficient woodville are strong and vice versa

boys probably don't need a mergw as much

Reply #79024 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

To the person who wrote 'why doesnt magic merge with woodville' you obviously dont know much about magic. The are mostly woodville players who left to make up teams for magic, why would they go straight back?

Reply #79087 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

Pretty simple really - go back to one central point for games on a weekly basis. Forget this home and away garbage. SA quite simply does not have the population. Get rid of the last 3 teams in - Woodville, Centrals and Mavs. Tell Southern too stop shooting tghemselves in the foot with dumb management and get their act together. Concentrate on div 1 and 2 in all ages and have regional comps for any one else.

It is about time the weak were left to tumble. Thank god for Foley and co. Let us now hope now that the clubs that cost everyone money are too be banished. Better still - West, Sturt, Norwood, South, North, Forestville - we only need 6.

Problem solved

Reply #79128 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I beleive Southern were the last ones in?

Reply #79129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually when Centrals and Woodville were admitted to BASA Norwood were not in Div 1

so maybe with all you lot are suggesting then Norwood should go

why not wait and see what the fall out from the demise of BASA and the formation of BSA for then all stop pushing your own agendas it isn't good for basketball

Reply #79136 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Good one "In the Know and Woftam"

Lets get rid of Southern the second largest Club based on Junior teams currently playing.

That should be good for Baskeball!!

Reply #79221 | Report this post

Woftam  
Years ago

Smithy (79221)

No good being the second largest junior club if you have the biggest dills running it. With the merger and opportunity your club has had over the past 18 months ??? What a waste ........

A bit like the South Adel footy club - must be something in the air down that way.

Debate ....... what a wonderful thing.

Reply #79233 | Report this post

Woftam  
Years ago

Smithy - I do apologize. Southern should actually run a domestic regional comp to feed South and Sturt ............

Reply #79234 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Wofty

Not sure what Club your allegiance is to but maybe your too embarrased to put that on here.

"What a waste......"

Can you explain why given the Club finished 5th overall in the States last year only 18 months after the merge?

Not sure if you go to any ABA games but name one Club that gets the numbers to the ABA games like Southern currently are. Would have to have been 200 people at the game yesterday!

Maybe those dills are doing ok.

And you could say we are currently running a regional comp for South as that is where most of our reject coaches end up.

I do agree with you on one thing though and that is

"Debate is a wonderfull thing"

Reply #79239 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Smith,

I actually quoted that Southern were the last Club to enter not that they should be booted out. Just because you guys offer free entry to ABl games and get good crowds does not mean that your Club is going anywhere. Acording to stats release last year Sturt get the poorest crowds to their senior games and I might be wrong but are they not Number one at the moment? Senior crowds mean nothing, and if your mens performances on the weekend keep going I feel those crowds will fall away. I may be wrong. Debate is a wonderful thing. I await your reply!

Reply #79240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woodville would get 200 to a game, it is just hard to judge as they are swamped by the excess seating

Reply #79245 | Report this post

Woftam  
Years ago

Smithy my man

Great to see a passionate supporter. No doubt the great white Southerners would do much better with more people of your enthusiasm. Myself I have no allegiance but just enjoy basketball. Being an oldie from the seventies, I actually remember the good days and look on in horror at the mess the game now finds itself in due to the vested interests of many selfish clubs. I cannot wait for the day that the game is again controlled by an independent board and decisions are then made for the betterment of the game. Hopefully my grandkids, yours and then theirs will be able to enjoy the game again.
ABA crowds are irrelavent in todays environment. I suppose I could say Southern draw the biggest crowds because demographically outside of centrals they have more unemployed per capita in the area. But that may be a bit unfair.

Let the debate continue and may all clubs juniors improve for the betterment of the game

Reply #79255 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Reply #79302 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Smith,

Can't really debate your last comment.

Reply #79304 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

woftam i am not from centrals but as central's area takes in a lot of Gawler and the Barossa belt I think you need to re think your comment regarding the un employed per capita comment.

Reply #79310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:41 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754