Isaac
Years ago

Pearl Jam and basketball

Some people might know this already, but I didn't. In fact, when I first heard it, I thought it was a joke.

Prior to assuming the name "Pearl Jam", the well-known band played under the title "Mookie Blaylock" after their favourite NBA player, Daron Oshay "Mookie" Blaylock (Nets, Hawks, Golden State).

When they were signed by a label, there were concerns about the use of Mookie's name and so Pearl Jam emerged.

As a concession, they named their debut album "Ten" after Mookie's playing number.

Who would've thought.

Anyway, Bill Simmons has written his 2006 NBA Playoff preview with some pretty loose inspiration from Pearl Jam lyrics (Err, OK Bill).

To the GM who ends up signing this year's version of Jerome James after the playoffs (aka, the underachieving free-agent-to-be who breaks a sweat and makes himself an extra $20 million to $30 million). Whatever happens with Bonzi Wells, Drew Gooden or Lorenzen Wright over these next few weeks, don't be fooled. You have been warned.
Hmm, funny he should make that prediction about Drew Gooden - he's got 22 points and 16 boards against Washington with 2 minutes to play in their game today...

Topic #7075 | Report this topic

Vedder  
Years ago

Yeah, Jeff(bass player) & Eddie(vocals) are massively in2 their ball. Jeff is a sonics fan he's from seattle & Ed is a bulls man, he's originally from Chicago. They have even got a song called 'Sweet Lew' which is about Lew Alcindor(aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar)

NEW ALBUM SATURDAY - Can't wait!! Album of the year people!!! Get on board, then tour late this year! Woooo Hoooo!

Reply #79383 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It's definitely not a secret, Isaac - Jeff Ament in particular loves his hoops and can play a little, apparently.

Here's a bit of a namedrop from a Sports Illustrated dude when some PJ members were watching tennis as guests of none other than Pat Rafter.

(scroll to bottom of page for anecdote)

Reply #79384 | Report this post

Vedder  
Years ago

Oh & stone(gutair) loves his sonics aswell.

Reply #79385 | Report this post

Apollo or Bust  
Years ago

Madonna got some facial pearl jam from Dennis Rodman.

Charles Barkley also took her to the ring.

Michael Jordan posted up Whitney Houston.

Bizzy feeds the chickens to Peter Coombs.

Music & Basketball go hand in hand.

Reply #79389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rodman and vedder and longley are all mates. they used to head to a gothic gay bar in chicago called the crowbar.

Reply #79393 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I actually tried to go see Pearl Jam last week here in London, didn't have tickets but figured I'd be able to see what the scalpers were asking. 400 pounds if you don't mind!! Pretty close to AU$1000 for a few hours of tunes. I guess that's what happens when a massive international act choses to play only one gig in a city of 10 million people in a 3000 seat venue (which is a massive gay bar 4 nights a week coincidently).

Kudos to them for playing the small venues and keeping it real and all that, but in reality most of their fans either missed out or paid extortionate rates on eBay or out the front.

Reply #79473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Astoria gig was just a promo concert. The guys just went to london for two reasons, the new album & the main reason I think, to give the fans a little teaser for the upcoming european tour later this year. Anyone who got tickets to that gig was lucky as. The set list was awesome.

Reply #79480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754