TC
Years ago

Kobe Bryant Number Change

Next season Kobe will be changing his number to 24, his old high school number. Link here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2421874
My theory revolves around him not being able to share the number 8 in the league with Antoine Walker.. can hardly blame him :-)

Topic #7087 | Report this topic

52-Cans  
Years ago

My theory is he is doing it cos he wants the money and to lead the NBA jersey sales.

Reply #79492 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

My theory is that he thinks he's Jack Bauer.

Reply #79494 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"In high school I started out with number 24. Then I went to number 33 later on. 33 was the number my father wore in high school, so I just switched it to carry on the lineage."

When Bryant jumped from Lower Merion High School to the professional ranks joining the Lakers, Bryant did not even have the opportunity to select number 33. That number was already previously retired after being worn by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Kobe chose the number 8 because his uniform number as a high schooler at the ADIDAS ABCD Camp was 143 (1+4+3=8), but the number switch was easy. "I wore the number 8 when I was a kid playing in the Italian leagues, so it was a smooth transition from number 33."

..... so in other words, no-one has any idea why he chose number 24. The guy is weird. Earlier this season, he said he'd like to be a Jew (and I mean no offense to the Jewish race here). He's fast becoming the Dennis Rodman/Jason Akermanis of today's NBA.

Reply #79498 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

PS. While we're talking fashion (and stats-padding - this is my third consecutive post on this topic), what about Kareem's jacket at the Lakers v Suns game?

Reply #79499 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hey, that's better than the last Lakers championship jacket...

You can see the pain on Shaq's face when wearing it.

Reply #79503 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

As weird as the number change is, at least it's to an awesome number!

Reply #79576 | Report this post

michael jurgowski  
Years ago

fuckyou!

Reply #103538 | Report this post

michael jurgowski  
Years ago

Sorry, My apoligize, i thought it would not go through because i didn't put my email address. Please forgive me. Please excuse my actions very much. Im sory Im sory! Im sorry and Im sorry! I am not so happy with Kobe Bryant's number beacause i bought a jersey with number 8 like 4 months ago and now he changes it. That is really wack.

Reply #103539 | Report this post

stud2402  
Years ago

My theory is that he wants to be 3 times the player he was last year. For all the geniuses out there thats 3 x 8 = 24. I bid you good day!

Reply #104218 | Report this post

Michael Zapata  
Years ago

Hell naaaaah....think about it. Kobe surely wants to be the heir to Michael Jordan, he's ready for it. However, he KNOWS that he can never EVER be Like Mike....#23....so he is trying to be the "next best thing" - #24.....PEACE SUCKAS

Reply #111368 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I think the reason is either what someone above said he wants to be 3 times the player he was or because his number at first in high school was 24

Reply #113228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MAYBE HE JUS WANTS TO START HIS OWN TREND. WEARING A NUMBER THAT LEGENDS WORE BUT NO-ONE IN TODAYS LEAGUE WEARS. HE WANTS TO MAKE HIS OWN FOOTPRINTS OUT THERE AND I DONT BLAME HIM. KEEP THE NUMBER #8 JERSEY IT STILL WAS HIS NUMBER.

Reply #189250 | Report this post

brianna  
Years ago

i was thinkin y did kobe change his number he changed his number becuz he think he's one step better than micheal jordan

Reply #209854 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754