Isaac
Years ago

Sixers looking at Ricardo Greer

THE Adelaide 36ers basketball club officially goes on sale from Saturday while the team itself looks at star American forward Ricardo Greer as a potential NBL import.

Greer, 29 and 195cm, has been a star with France's SIG Strasbourg in the Euroleague while also taking his team to the 2004-05 French championship. In 2006 he was selected to the French AllStar game.

Greer played his college basketball at Pittsburgh University (1997-2001), was selected in the 2001 USBL draft by Dodge City but went to the Ukraine for the 2001-02 season to play for BC Kiev.
Hadn't heard this name before.
"We'll be trying to see if he's interested in coming to Australia," Smyth said.
Oh, they haven't asked him yet?
Adelaide's 1996-97 import Leon Trimmingham, veteran two-time title-winner Marcus Timmons and Hunter 7-footer Jason Eversteyn also are keen to be considered.

"Leon has all the athletic ability but we don't think he's the piece of the puzzle we're missing," Smyth said. "Our job is to put the best team possible on the floor."
Quietly, the 36ers are putting together an interesting looking team for the 2006-07 Philips Championship, with the second import to support Farley the big question mark. "If nothing springs loose, we might have to venture over there and have a look at the summer pro league in July," Smyth said.
Full article

Topic #7088 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

From his page on French Wikipedia, it doesn't look like he's one to sit still:

2001 : Los Prados
2001/2002 : BC Kiev
2002 : Diablos de la Vega
2002/2003 : Le Havre
2003/2004 : Londres
2004 : Gravelines
2004/2006 : Strasbourg

Stats from his time with Strasbourg.

And he has a website: RicardoGreer.com

Would've expected them to go for a bit more height, but maybe this guy is talented enough that it doesn't matter?

Reply #79508 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Now that Phil Smyth has publicly name Ricardo Greer as a potential import option, it would not surprise me one bit if this guy has not already been signed, seeled and delivered

Why would Phil and Steve release the player name now especially after they didn't want to a few weeks ago at the risk of another club picking him up? Surly the same principals would apply now, what has changed? Either he is signed and willing to come to Australia or they know they have no shot at getting him and they are just giving us a name to keep supporters happy.

Please tell me that Leon Trimmingham or Marcus Timmons would not seriously be considered for that second import spot? If they are going to be playing as an naturalized Australian then that would be different as they are good player that would be useful but not as your import.

Didn't Phil cut Leon because he didn't fit the team system and was basically lazy last time he was in the NBL? To easy my mind and relief that Trimmingham would not be considered is the fact that Smyth has been quoted as saying, "Leon has all the athletic ability but we don't think he's the piece of the puzzle we're missing," Smyth added. "Our job is to put the best team possible on the floor." I would rather they go simply with Farley and have no second import than have either of them 2 in the team.

It could quite easily be a publicity stunt to get some positive Sixer news back into the papers rather than have the Sale of the side dominate the stories coming out the Dome.

Reply #79509 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

its interesting news but i thought we were goin for someone who is more of a powerforward/ centre. if we get him we will need another big on our team. we will just have to wait and see how evrything goes down.

Reply #79510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They could play Greer as SF and then Majstrovich or Nash as PF, but then Hill can forget about getting many minutes, IMO. I think Greer's had a child recently, so he might be looking at settling out of Europe? But then it's not as though he's been playing in Russia.

Reply #79512 | Report this post

sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Decoy?

Reply #79515 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

So this is how the 06/07 Adelaide 36ers playing roster could look like:

C: Wheeler / Cooper
PF: Nash / Majstrovich
SF: Greer / ??????
SG: Farley / Copeland
PG: Maher / Hill

Reply #79516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sawmeinhalf - a couple of others have suggested that as well off the forum. I'm inclined to agree.

Another theory was that they'd get Greer, wait for new ownership, then cut Farley's contract and find a PF. Maybe a bit far-fetched but who knows.

Reply #79522 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

06/07 could look like

C:Wheeler/Eversteyn
PF:Majstrovich/Cooper
SF:Geer/Nash
SG:Farley/Copeland
PG: Maher/Hill

i think if we get Geer it will mess up the four spot because we hav no natural PF now.

Reply #79523 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

sawmeinhalf - I think it could well be.

Getting a 6'5" guy doesn't really fit with what we need. Surely they recognise that?

I think it's a case of them possibly thinking "any news is better than no news" and just trying to get names out there to keep the public happy.

Reply #79525 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

You can see some video highlights of Greer if you go to

http://www.24sec.net/section.asp?index=FRA

Click on "Top 5 video highlights" about half way down the page.

Interesting that they would be looking at another guard.

I guess they could always sign Everstyn as back-up C and move Coops to the 4 position.

Timmons is naturalised and can give some decent minutes at the 4 position also.

Lets face it, the team they are putting on the floor for next season isn't about building for the future.

PG Maher/Hill
SG Farley/Copeland
SF Greer/Nash
PF Majstrovic/Timmons
C Wheeler/Cooper

Reply #79527 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

If we sign Leon Trimmingham, I'm supporting South Dragons.

Reply #79529 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Trimmingham was awesome last time he was with us, not lazy at all. He was a 20 and 10 player who scored at 50%. Those are great numbers however you look at it. Obviously that was a long time ago and he may well be a different player now but he was a great player.

Reply #79530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he one of the 2 names people had heard before??
Do people think he would be a good fit, i thought we were looking for a power forward n he seems more like a small forward/guard to me, but maybe him starting the small forward spot and nash/majstrovich or even timmons if we sign him could start power forward a team of
C Wheeler/Cooper
PF Timmons/Majstrovich
SF Greer/Nash
SG Farley Copeland
PG Maher/Hill
11 Dodman
12 Everstyn/Sutton/Gerlach/Hambour
would be pretty good in my opinion, obviously timmons and majstrovich would have to sign for minimum, which im not sure if thats possible

Reply #79533 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

Greer recently had a baby? is he ready to play yet then

'I think Greer's had a child recently, so he might be looking at settling out of Europe?'

sorry Isaac I could help but to laugh.

IMO I reckon its all a red herring (baby or no baby) I'd be very surprised if he is signed just someone to talk up whilst they chase the one they want.

Reply #79536 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I can't see Timmons and Majstrovich both fitting into our roster so I am thinking maybe priorities might change and we go for Timmons instead.

I wish we went and got Timmons instead of Copeland actually.

Reply #79538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe John Lawrence could find the other 36ers players on his informative forum.

Reply #79540 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

honestly they shouldnt sign Everstyn he sucks

Reply #79542 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Seriously, we need more people with names like Ricardo playing in the NBL. I am practising saying it with the full Latino flourish, Fabienne "Foods that start with the letter Q" in Pulp Fiction-style, rolling that first "R": Rrrricardo!

I can just imagine John Casey: "Ricardo fires from the corner, it does a lap of honour but doesn't tumble!" or "Ricardo goes upstairs and flushes it down! Oh, Ricardo!"

Reply #79544 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Whats happened to the other players they were looking at??? is anyone willing to say who they are?? are they still an option?? or does Phil think Ricaardo is the best option??

Reply #79545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doctor E - yeah, I'd take Timmons over Copeland too.

79533, I don't think Hambour and Eversteyn can return to development spots after being a certain age or having been part of the ten.

Reply #79546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats interesting as I have heard some very different things to issac, in that Farley is being considered as a long term signing, which to me would make Greer a bad option. Get a good PF like a Rolan Roberts, would boost things nicely.

Reply #79547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats interesting as I have heard some very different things to issac, in that Farley is being considered as a long term signing, which to me would make Greer a bad option. Get a good PF like a Rolan Roberts, would boost things nicely.

Reply #79548 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Can't beleive I just thought of this. Why don't they chase 'the chief' Robert Parish, as the second import? Big body, PLENTY of experience. He'd fit right in!

Reply #79550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#79530- "He (Trimmingham) was a 20 and 10 player who scored at 50%. "

Yeah and the dudes he was defending were 30 and 15 @ 65%.

It was like watch a dunk-comp, "i'll dunk one then let my guy try one"

Reply #79611 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Joe M, I don't agree that Greer has already been signed just because his name has been mentioned. On Tuesday's Talking Hoops program, Smyth said that they were not rushing into signing a new import. They preferred to take their time and be certain about who they go for. On the other hand he also said that it would be nice to have an exciting player lined up already to help with season ticket sales. I believe the reason that this name or any other name would be mentioned, would be to create some excitement to help with the ticket sales.

Reply #79658 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Guys, Ricardo is my Brother in Law, and I haven't heard anything about him moving back to Aus to play ball here.

Reply #238138 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Haha Corey, been asleep for a few years have we?

Reply #238141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754