Anonymous
Years ago

Reffs are not Gods

I have read a lot about what the reffs have to put up with. Players and spectators question calls and the way they argue ect. Well here is an example of the attitude of some reffs that causes a lot of these problems. Last night at the Woodville - Mavs reserves game one of the reffs refused to shake hands with players. I know he does not have to but this sort of attitude does not help in the least. One of the reffs shook hands but the other (most likely the younger one because of the length of his hair)refused. Lift your game mate and be a sport. If you want players to respect you then earn that respect.

Topic #7165 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shhhhhhhh

Reply #80293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some refs are just on huge power trips.

Reply #80294 | Report this post

right  
Years ago

I agree. refs need to focus on becoming better communicators, stop been so sensitive and have some fun.

The best ref I ever had was Mal Cooper who would give you as much talk and feedback and have alot of fun. The problem is refs now see themselves as a victim because everyone is talking about the abuse refs cop.

Abuse and heated/controlled/light hearted banter are different things.

Reply #80304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i cant beleive you can bitch about a little thing like this

Refs put up with so much crap and no one cares

then just because one doesnt shake hands with some guy its a huge deal

ever wondered why he didnt shake hands with the guy/guys

probably cause they were real pricks to him

Reply #80309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To (#80309)you must be the reff or a reff. It is all about respect and how to gain it. Tech foul for your language.

Reply #80319 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

I reffed the game, and shook hands afterwards.

The reason stated at the time for my partner refusing to shake hands is that the player concerned had spent much of the game bagging him behind his back to all and sundry (whoever would listen).

The players comments were quite vitriolic (Bitterly scathing; caustic) and unwarranted.

My partner thought the player was somewhat two-faced wanting to shake hands after dishing out the personal abuse.

I also had issues with the player concerned during the game (needless whinging).

Now you all have the facts, draw your own conclusions.

Reply #80320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever heard of leaving it on the court ??

Reply #80326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respect and how to gain it

how bout the players and coaches respect the referees for a change

Reply #80327 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

here here #80326. Unfortunately some players and refereed don't understand this fundamental principle of sport. A common conversation I've had goes something like: 'I hate that guy', so I ask 'do you know him off the court at all' to which they respond 'nah just played against him'. IMO that's a pretty closed minded view and probably a hypocritical one in many people's cases, and in my view the players that cop and dish out a bit of their own nasty during a game but smile and shake hands at the end are the ones I respect the most. Play hard and go home I say

Reply #80338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the whole respect bit is true, but umpires are already in defence mode before the game. A simple question can often be taken the wrong way by the ump. Even if you are asking them a question as to what are you doing wrong in d, so you dont do it again, they take that as a personal attack. Its not judging their call, but simply asking. I guess a lot of players give the refs shit out of frustration, but what happens on court should stay on court.

Reply #80341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is the thing...

Hate the calls not the person.
If you are going to talk trash about a ref, talk about their calls not them as a person.

If you are going to talk trash to a player... talk trash about their game, not about them as a person.

Oh and I think no matter what, every team member and coach should shake hands with everyone involved.
How many times do you see teams not shake the refs hands out of spite, because they're sooking. Similarly, these players don't shake their oponents hands.

These philosophies go a long way to keeping it on the court - it then is not considered a personal attack.

If during the game, approach the ref how you would want to be approached, do it within the rules and don't make it personal. Do the same for your oponent as well or expect one off ball!

Don't make snide personal remarks about anyone behind their back. If you don't have anything decent to say don't say it at all - just think it!!

I do think the ref should have been man enough to shake the guys hand. He could've also laid a one liner on at the same time if he was smart enough! Or even if he didn't he would have at least had the pleasure of looking like a decent guy.

CROSS THE WHITE LINE at the end and have a few beers - or red bulls / midouri lemonades - or just go home.(what ever tickles your fancy)

Reply #80342 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

I thought Mav's played Southern last night in the men???

Reply #80355 | Report this post

james coburn  
Years ago

yeah they did up at m/vale. it ended up being a 1 point game with matty clarke knocking a 3 pointer with 5 seconds to go.
also from what i saw both teams players and coaches showed respect to the referee's.
a lot of people could learn from their behaviour.
it helped that the 2 referee's showed good communication skills by explaining some of their decisions to the players and coaches as well.

Reply #80361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the topic is about this game:
2/05/2006 10:00PM DH Dome 3 D2M Torrens Valley Cougars vs Woodville Warriors

Reply #80362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce at least you shook the players hand. The player will have respect for you but a wall will have been built between both these two other people. Players nearly get into fights and trash talk but know it should be what happens in a game should be left on the court. Your fellow reff should grow up.

Reply #80368 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

I have a young child reffing at the moment (under 14 y.o) An ABA/NBL ref gave our child some general advice on the game which I thought was excellent.

He told our kid the best thing they could do before a match was to introduce themselves to the coaches and shake their hands. I thought this was great advice to a young ref.

When my child told the local umpire in charge what they where going to do before the match the kid was talked out of it saying that kind of thing should be saved for the NBL!!!!

I dont for 1 second claim my kid is a great ref, they are still learning, but I would have thought a young ref introducing themselves to each coach before the match was a great step forward.

Reply #80369 | Report this post

right  
Years ago

Briuce, yer the player in question sounds like he deserved it then.

Reply #80370 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

Stick to the advise of the Aba/Nbl ref because they are there for a reason.
The uic is more than likely a has been who never was....

Reply #80377 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

The ref not shaking the players hand is not a good way to end a game and the player should have also understood that having a personal attack on a ref is probably not the best approach.

You can talk to a ref by approaching them as a person or talk to a ref but having a go at them. Which one will get the ref's respect? If a player has a go at me then you have to defuse the situation quickly before the player gets un settled.

Bruce did an excellent job shaking the players hands. Right comment about ref's becoming better communicators is spot on and I think the same goes for everyone involved in the game. Anon (#80341) saying that ref's are on the defensive foot is also true. Do the ref's get educated in communicating with players and coaches?

Reply #80379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when my son was starting out as a ref, I used to tell him it was a mark of respect if the coaches knew your name, ie called you Phil or Andrew, or Benn rather than hey ref or hey umpire

said son came home one night and told me very straight faced that the coaches did know his name - like they knew every other ref's name cause they called them all Jesus Christ (i am not taking the Lord's name in vain) but coaches would yell "jesus christ where did you get that call from" "jesus christ that isn't a travel"

"my god you have to be joking" "my god you can't call that"

so in a light hearted manner maybe all the coaches and players yelling at them over the years has sunk in (and for tose who don't get it - it is meant as a joke)

Reply #80380 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

people, shut up.

Refs can be good, bad whatever way you look at it you always end up with one conclusion- they are refs, no one will ever fully 100% agree with there calls. Whine for a while but no one else wants to hear it. I play and have had the bad refs against us but in return we have had bad refs for us. I have endured both so Shut up and get over it all.

bad day at work...

Reply #80381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you work?!

Reply #80384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever heard of leaving it on the court ??

Im thinking the ref wouldn't have said anything if the person who started this stupid thread hadn't slagged them.

Refs are not gods and NEITHER are the players

Reply #80385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers33 - you sure you're not bizzy?

Reply #80386 | Report this post

ShutUp!  
Years ago

Interesting that on ESPN, David Stern (NBA Commissioner) has admitted that NBA refs miss 5% of calls.

"EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- While saying he was happy with the way the officials are handling the playoffs, commissioner David Stern acknowledged on Tuesday that NBA referees are missing about 5 percent of the calls.

"Is the question do I think the officials miss a play? Absolutely!" Stern said during an impromptu news conference before the New Jersey Nets and Indiana Pacers met in Game 5 of their first-round series.

"It happens at least probably 5 percent of the time," Stern added."

Reply #80389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OH MY GOD! Refs are Human and Make mistakes; who woulda thunk it!?

Reply #80391 | Report this post

Bill Gates  
Years ago

Bring on Paul Welby Wellbourne.

This guy does get bagged occassionally and does talk to players quite a bit on the court. Yes we may hate his calls on the court but people still talk with him after a game. Even if he may have had a shocker.

Secondly what ever happen to referee admitting when they may have had a shocker. Admit they made a bad call. Just don't keep admitting every game.

There are a couple of referees going around that are very good at the above.

Wellbourne
Durant
Ryan
Vagar

Atleast these guys can talk to players on court without the need for techs and throwing guys out

Reply #80394 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

I don't agree with a personal atack upon the referee but to decline shaking hands after the game is immature.
Bruce you need to teach your junior that if it gets personal, dish out a tech. If it's not personal, talk to the player so they understand the referees perspective on the call.
ALWAYS shake hands after the game whether you think the guy is a dick or not. It's poor form not to.

Reply #80408 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Do what Richard Orlick used to do, smile, shake hands, say "Good game/thanks for the game", then turn around and under your breathe say "dickhead".

I totally agree with the introduction thing with coaches at start of game, people generally respond to professionalism. If ref walks out in shorts, white shoes, untucked shirt, automatically think it's going to be a long night.

As always, communication is key. I shudder to think what that young ref will cop next time he refs that player. Better to act professional and start with a clean slate next game.

Reply #80415 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

Sixers33 - you sure you're not bizzy?

Has this got something to do with Barney?

Reply #80417 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bizzy is nothing to do with Barney. Bizzy is someone who used to have a lot of spare time at his work and posted a lot on the forum. He might be a bit of a motormouth but he's a decent guy and I don't remember him ever "crying" on the forum because he was worried that the Sixers might leave Adelaide.

Reply #80426 | Report this post

sun fan  
Years ago

john lawrence - we need your expert comments on this area - to shake or not to shake

or shake 'n' bake ?

Reply #80427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please lets not get his so called level 5 umpires expert comments. (recently over heard telling a coach he was), little did he know that the coach was a ABL referee himself and just laughed at him. And therefore recieving a Tech for "belittling an official". TOOL BAG

so please lets not engourage him!!!

Reply #80438 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Good thing John doesn't know individuals on this website, few people on here could receive techs for "belittling an offical".

Can you get a tech for belittling an offical court-side announcer?

Reply #80440 | Report this post

sun fan  
Years ago

he is fine - it is all in jest!

john knows me and i am a mate

good to have a strong character around - who is not scared to shoot from the hip

Reply #80441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was the guy he didnt shake hands with

Reply #80465 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

Sun Fan - Are you a mate, or are you John?
Lawrence has made a name for himself on here for all the wrong reasons.

Reply #80472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has made a name for himself because he talks before he thinks. But thats what happens when u have the IQ of a child (past post's prove that)

To be a ref and bag other ref's that are higher than him on the food chain and expect people to like him and for a new comer to be accepted. PLEASE

Reply #80480 | Report this post

Stewie Griffin  
Years ago

Did I see that John Lawrence has a friend in this state!!!!

Wow!.....the world really is a strange place!

Reply #80481 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

RIGHT!!! STINKING ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! EITHER YOU PEOPLE START SHOWING YOUR GUTLESS FACES WHEN YOU START MAKING COMMENTS ABOUT ME... OR STFU!!! AT LEAST I HAVE THE BALLS TO SHOW MY FACE WHEN I SAY SOMETHING, INSTEAD OF COWERING BEHIND CYBERSPACE LIKE SOME SCARED PUSSY! AND THAT GOES TRIPLE FOR STEWIE GRIFFIN!!! AND IF THEY SOUND LIKE FIGHTING WORDS... BELIEVE ME... THEY ARE!!!

Reply #80492 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

big words for a little child

Reply #80494 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

and not afraid to back them up!

Reply #80496 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

John,

I think you have "Caps Lock" stuck on. You can fix this by pressing the "Caps Lock" button, it should be located under the "Tab" button on the left hand side of your keyboard.

:D

(Mod: And I'll add this...)

Reply #80498 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Never mind you seem to have found it.

Reply #80499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See what i mean guys. John has just proved my point. Thanks John.

P.S- the reason I dont put my name on here is because u ref my team nearly every week, and atm im enjoying winning most of them, (dont want that to change)

Go back to the hole u came from!!!

Reply #80500 | Report this post

Slacker  
Years ago

ITA...Gold!

I think that last post deserves a ball Isaac?

Reply #80501 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Thanks Slacker,

Just trying to help the guy out, things like that are important to know. Especially when you have your own forum to manage.

Reply #80504 | Report this post

Slacker  
Years ago

Isaac, he's on a roll...could it be ball no 2???

Reply #80508 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

lol nice add mod!!! If i knew how to add pics i woulda done that too.

Reply #80509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a little touch for John...
http://www.flickr.com/people/77434922@N00/

Reply #80512 | Report this post

Bill Gates  
Years ago

John Lawrence

What is STFU?

You need to work on your spelling sir. I know what you were trying to say but if you go to the effort of caps lock and fighting words please do not sugar-coat it.

Reply #80513 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Bill,

apart from the fact u can work it out. John is a busy man and does not have time to check posts in THIS forum.

The majority of his time is spent in the "other" forum. By the way if you are going to visit the said forum, i suggest you wear some saftey gear... I kept getting knocked over by all the tumbleweeds.

Reply #80521 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

GOLD!

Reply #80537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMAO, fighting words John. Ok ill come up to and say hello next Tue nite at the Dome.

And then we'll see if your all talk.

Reply #80548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does every post that ends up being about John Lawrence hit 50+ posts?

No offence John but this post was not initially about you, although you do seem to walk around like you know all about reffing and thinking you should be treated like a god. Then you come on here and try to start fights with people? Are you trying to gain respect or hate from the basketball community, because if it's the latter you should hush down a little.

I've seen you tech foul a U12 for reaching over the line when the ball was being passed in, i guess that kid will learn not to mess with John.

Reply #80583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If someone wants to post something outlandish, then it's fine to call them on it, but I'd rather that people not continue the John Lawrence teasing in every thread please. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's shooting fish in a barrel.

Reply #80591 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

QUESTION:
Who the fuck is John Lawrence exactly?

(Multiple answers allowed)

A - Moderator of the SA's most successful Basketball Forum and level 5 accredited umpire?

B - An Isaac Wanna-be?

C - A ABL Wanna-be?

D - A Knob?

(Remember folks, there is always one answer you can immediately rule out.)

I dunno the guy, but from the posts I've read, I know the answer certainly isn't A.

PS - John, please note my ability to turn the CAPS LOCK button on and off. Practice makes perfect and you are a long way off!

Reply #80592 | Report this post

Ikea  
Years ago

My mum told me that if you do what John Lawrence seems to do constantly, then you can expect to grow hairs on the palm of your hands.
my advice to John is, find somthing else to occupy your hands.

Reply #80602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does John Lawrence look like?

Reply #80652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone needs to make a ytmnd about john lawrence

Reply #80676 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200311/r12407_29764.jpg

Reply #80706 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

"There are a couple of referees going around that are very good at the above.

Wellbourne
Durant
Ryan
Vagar

Atleast these guys can talk to players on court without the need for techs and throwing guys out"

Bill Gates,

Thanks for including me in the list of the refs. But there are other refs who are also deserving of this accolade!

Reply #80747 | Report this post

who Matt?

Reply #80749 | Report this post

Whos ears  
Years ago

So out of the following who are the top three you would pick to ref nbl in the future?

Bridgeman
Clover
Durant
Harvey
Hughes
Just
Maidment
Macdonald
Northcote
Pepecali
Welbourn
Wilson-Smith

Reply #80752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VANESSA DEVLIN!

Reply #80754 | Report this post

Whos ears  
Years ago

But she is not a NOrth Chick? Matty wouldnt rate her.

Reply #80755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whos ears

Bridgeman and Hughes!!!! LMAO

Reply #80764 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Matty, are you thanking Bill because he missed the T you gave out last friday night ;)

At least you smiled when you gave it to him, and made him "earn" it.

Reply #80778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754