Hoop Addict
Years ago

Nash officially announced NBA MVP

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2436205

LeBron runner up, Dirk 3rd & Kobe 4th (though he did have the 2nd most 1st place votes).

Topic #7208 | Report this topic

Chauncey 5th? what a joke.

oh well, well done Steve nash. Lebron finished ahead of kobe, which pleased me

Reply #80854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ELG, you have to admit that it was a competitive field this year. Those top five all could've taken it out.

Reply #80879 | Report this post

Years ago

The only time Kobe made his team better was in the playoffs and even the Lakers played above themselves then. Too little too late.

Chauncey Billups was a victim of being on the best team in the league.

Lebron James was in a similar situation to Bryant.

Nowitzki missed out because he got hand fed most of the time. Dallas' success is not attributed just to him.

Nash ... though ... brought a team that was rated no chance to even get near the playoffs to being possible title contenders without Amare. Very clever and cunningly re-configured his game to use the players he had to bring the best out in them.

Reply #80974 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Kobe's play combined with Phil's coaching during the regular season were the two key reasons for a rather ordinary roster winning 45 games and actually qualifying for the playoffs. Not bad considering the expectations of the season (which by the way was simply to make the playoffs.)

Billup's MVP 'snub' was probably more due to his performance being lost on many because the Piston's success is based more on the best teamwork at both ends of the floor of any team in the league. The fact that they had the best record had nothing to do with it.

Lebron's situation isn't like Kobe's at all. He lost because Nash was better. No other reason.

Nowitzki being hand fed was the reason? By that rational, no post player should ever win the MVP because someone has to set them up to score most of the time. Karl Malone should give his two MVP awards to Stockton, Shaq's MVP should go to Tex Winter for creating the triangle offense that was responsible for all that space he got&

Spot on about Nash. He deserved it.

Reply #80984 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

31, So Kobe Bryant taking over games single handly and hittin game winner after game winner doesnt make his team better? u don't have to get assists to make your team better. If a team is losing by 15 at 3/4 and a plyer scores 20 in the last and they win he is making that team better.

Reply #80991 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Great pic from the Cavalier at YaysportsNBA!

Reply #80994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

m dizzle

Whats so valuable about Kobe when his team crawls into the playoffs and exits in the 1st round? If your team aint at least making the conference finals then no one on the team is that valuable.

Reply #81000 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Anon...a player is valuable if his team crawls into the playoffs when without him they would be lucky to win 20 games.

By your theory only four teams in the NBA have players of any great value. Sorry, but that's way off.

Reply #81005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is he so valuable? If your team aint performing as one of the best in the leauge then any player is disposable.

Reply #81010 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Anon...if the team isn't performing as one of the league's best, seeing the player as disposable who is mainly responsible for you being an average team instead of the league's doormat probably isn't first step to make.

Reply #81014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it also be that any other fairly talented player doesnt want to be in a team with Kobe. Hence why he is in a team of mugs?

Reply #81015 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Anon...or is it a team of mugs because the Lakers are in re-building mode and currently have no cap space? I guess we'll find out when the Lakers are no longer paying Brian Grant..

Reply #81016 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Unfortunately some people don't understand that there is a difference between being liked and being successfull. You can hate Kobe Bryant as much as you want as a person, and you can hate his style of play.....but you cannot claim to have any knowledge of the NBA or basketball in general if you ignore his successes and say that he is not valuable to his team.

Yes they just made the playoffs and were first round losers.....however they were predicted to be a lottery team. You cannot not say at the start of the season 'kobe cant get them into the playoffs on his own', then when they make the playoffs off kobes back turn around and say 'well they only just made the playoffs'.

I think Nash deserved the mvp over kobe, i would also put lebron ahead of him. Im also not a Lakers fan, however credit has to be given where credits due.

Reply #81038 | Report this post

Years ago

m dizzle Kobe took over Game 6 with a 50 point game and the Lakers still lost. That's happened twice with the Suns this season. If you want to look at the best teamwork look at Detroit.

Reply #81070 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

31, i have a challenge for you answer these questions without bringing into the fact that kobe bryant is a selfish player and noone wants to play with him.

How many games did you predict the lakers to win this season?

Did u think theyd make the playoffs?

How many games did the lakers win?

Did they make the playoffs?

Which lakers player was most responsible for them making the playoffs?

If you had a shot to win or tie the game who would you want taking it (take a look at past GM surveys before you answer)?

This should be interesting....

Reply #81074 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

31&The Lakers didn't lose Game 6 because of Kobe scoring 50 points in an overtime game. They didn't lose the game because of anything they did at the offensive end. Kobe had 50 at a very good percentage. Odom almost had a triple double. Kwame at 17 points on 8-9 shooting. They shot 55% from the floor and had 23 assists. These are solid (and some excellent) offensive numbers.

The Lakers lost Game 6 for two reasons.
(1) Not being able to get a defensive rebound with 6 seconds left in regulation.
(2) No defence whatsoever in overtime. The Lakers gave up 21 points in overtime. That's a terrible stat and it was one of their worst defensive patches of the entire season. Bad timing and a sign of a young team wilting under the extreme pressure.

But go ahead and blame it on Kobe taking over the game. Whenever the Lakers lose and Kobe scores big, it's Kobe's fault. When the Lakers are down and he doesn't try and take over, like in Game 7, there's a controversy about that. It's so boring. Just think about the other issues surrounding the game. Sometimes it's the difference between actually seeing the game or just watching the highlights or reading the boxscore or reading dick head columnists.

As for the game in which Kobe had 51 points (I think)

Reply #81098 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Interesting to note that Kobe received votes for Defensive Player of the Year too. He will probably make All-D team.

As much as I dislike him, he isn't just a scorer and he is and should be considered for MVP every year.

Reply #81104 | Report this post

Years ago

I think i can answer all those questions in one paragraph.

Well firstly the Lakers exceeded my own predictions and won 45 regular season games ... made the playoffs and tested the small-sized Phoenix Suns to seven games. They didn't get there because of Kobe's efforts only; they got there through having an excellent coach as well, and having a number of other team members having better than expected seasons. As for who i'd want to tie or win a game? Ray Allen.

Kobe is a brilliant individual player with an indifferent to say the least attitude.

Jasmine you were going ok till that paragraph of poor pity Kobe stuff you put there. The Lakers lost Game 6 not on Kobe's 51, but because they didn't have the talent that the Suns had to last it out.

Just in case Jasmine, I don't evaluate a game based on boxscores solely or as you succintly put it "dickhead columnists". If i haven't been able to see the game I look at boxscores for stats then what the players and coaches had to say and see if my opinion matches up. It usually does for some strange reason unknown to humanity.

Now m dizzle. My turn for questions.

When Stoudemire got injured(the first time) how many games did you think the Suns would win?

Who did you think would pick up the slack?

Did you think the Suns would make the playoffs?

Who (in your opinion) is responsible for the Suns' success this season?

Who would you like to have most on your team to play team ball?

Should be interesting lol.

Reply #81112 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

31...Thanks for saying I was doing 'okay.' While we're being nice, I'm totally okay with your overtly simplistic understanding of basketball as I am with you're inane, trivial comments and arguments regarding many teams and players in the NBA.

Reply #81114 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

How about i quote myself 'I think Nash deserved the mvp over kobe'

Ur right that was interesting

Reply #81122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754