Anonymous
Years ago

Reserve State Champs

Only problem I had with the weekend was the lack of experienced refs. I understand that next weekend is the main one, but in my opinion way to many young one's. Reserves is still important to everyone involved, alot of planning & preperation goes into this weekend & I feel that that we got short changed a little bit.

Yes, these kids have to learn but alot of the refs I had don't even do friday night games. In one of my games I had a 12year old reffing, he was reffing kids two-three years older than him. That's not fair on him at all.

Topic #7219 | Report this topic

yea i h8 wen that happens... you get younger ref's who havnt even played in that age division be4... i can understand rookie ref's being thrown in the deep end... but common... is there a lack of ref's willing to ref? or was it a concious decision? how did the lil guy ref anyway?i suppose its a confidence thing as well... i dunno... i think i'll shutup now :oP

Reply #81049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think i'll shutup now

Smartest thing you've said all day!

Reply #81052 | Report this post

Neal Bridgeman  
Years ago

Yes, the criticisms are valid, up to a point.
Rostering refs was a nightmare. We had too many games, and not enough referees available.
We have a lot of referees at the miniball level, but lose a lot from the next level (Saturday Morning Juniors)and up.
We had ABA games programmed for the weekend, so the "panel" refs priorities were with them. That cuts out around 20 of the better refs for the junior reserves championships. A number of refs were unavailable because they were playing. We had a number of refs refuse point blank, to ref anywhere else but where they "always" ref;they refused to go to another stadium to fill gaps. We also had to deal with refs who had a "percieved" conflict of interest, e.g. a brother or sister playing in a team on a game for which they were rostered, meaning we ended up with a less desirable combination of referees on a particular game. We had a number of refs who indicated to us they were available, then backed out at the last minute, as usual (not always the same ones). This meant that just to fill vacant spots, we had to put people on games that some of them were not ready for. What was very pleasing from a development point of view, is that so many actually showed that they were capable of "stretching" to the standard of game that they were on. Of course, some didn't. That's life.
What some you forget when you criticise referees, is that ALL of them are developing skills and learning, just as ALL of the players and coaches are. Just because one individual has a different opinion does not mean that the referee is necessarily wrong (or right!), or bad or good. Also, how you treat someone, be careful. You just might get the treatment you give, no matter whether you are a referee, player, coach, or spectator. Treat everyone with respect, and you will get that respect back.

Reply #81060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the reply Neal, yeah couldn't work out why so many newies etc would of been reffing state champs that's all.

Reply #81069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not only the younger referees but the shocking performances by some of the veteran referees which was appalling.

At Port Adelaide there was a variety of incidents which are very questionable from the umpiries behalf but it was what happened later which was one of the worst things I've heard an umpire do.

The same evening after the umpire had much conflict with this team he instructed the other referees to "make the pay" in the game he was supervising. This was no way a joke and was heard by a number of parents.

His conduct earlier in the day and also here was disgraceful and terribly inappropriate.

Reply #81075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

**quote should be THEM not the

Reply #81077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was more than happy with the refereeing standards over the weekend. Sure, there will always be people who complain over a couple of calls with which they disagree and then tarnish every ref at every game. I can't recall any decision at any of our games which was a blatant error.

In fact I congratulate one senior umpire who apologised to a player when he became aware of his error. Jump ball situation, but given to team against the arrow. Player tried to point out to ref that the arrow was pointing the other way several times, and not abusively, and was threatened with a tech. When the umpire realised his mistake he reversed his decision and apologised to the player he threatened with a tech.

In summary the reffing did not detract from what I thought was a well run weekend.

Reply #81087 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anon # 81075

Probally the same ref that handled an incident appallingly at Port Adelaide in the Easter carnival.

Reply #81116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neal great post. The major problem most of the non meat heads have with refs is some of them lack communication skills and have some sort of little man syndrome. That is not the case with you. At least you are a good guy and good communicator. Some of the ones at pt adelaide though do need help.

Reply #81123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kinda off topic but ties in with a previous post. personally as a player i have enourmous respect for refs that when questioned (with-in reason) will talk you through how they saw it and explain there call. what i hate is refs that get the sh*ts up when questioned and completely ignore you and start making "revenge" calls.

Reply #81167 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754