Pam
Years ago

Basketball's Most Influential Event

What does everyone think has been the most influential event in Basketball history so far?
Not including the actual invention of the game.
Eg. Jordan's foul-line dunk?... or ABA to NBA?... or Wilt's 100?...

Topic #7235 | Report this topic

Bonz  
Years ago

Michael Jordan was probably the most influential player of all time. He single handedly promoted the game world wide and took the marketing of the game to a new level, with a bit of help from Nike. Most people in the western world today world still know who MJ is.

As far as the game goes, I think the introduction of the 3-point line had the biggest influence on how the game is played today. It helps break dead locks and the crowd love to see the big bomb from outside!

Reply #81238 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Team USA getting whooped at the World Champs in 2002.

Reply #81239 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

The allowance of black athletes to participate. End of story!

Reply #81242 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Bonz, Jordan was massive for the game especially in the Marketing sense but I think you will find Magic and Bird bought the game world wide notoriety before Jordan.

As for the most influential moment I am not sure, the shot clock was a big one, turned the game form keepies off show into a fluent entertaining format.

Reply #81245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic getting AIDS. Had a world wide effect on peoples understanding and acceptance of AIDS and it's place in sports and society.

Reply #81246 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Arnie being appointed competitions manager at BSA

Reply #81254 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It actually hasn't happened yet - but it's not too far away.

It's the day that Mike "Cheap Shot" McKay is elected to the NBL Hall of Fame.

When this happens, look for a well-known forum contributor to grab his sniper rifle and head for the top of the nearest tall building.

He will not be happy.

Reply #81255 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

I'm with ya on shot clock Nutwork, I was gonna add that too.

I think if you took a survey of non-basketball people, they would recognised the MJ before Larry Bird and Magic would run a very close second.

BTW....good topic Pam!

Reply #81257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Russia beat the US at the Olympics and as a result pros were allowed to play.

Reply #81264 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Survey says...who knows?

Reply #81266 | Report this post

g-diddy  
Years ago

The launch of "HOOPSSA" finally an opportunity for all of us has beens, were nots, and armchair coaches to tell people what they are doing wrong and really making a difference on the basketball community as a whole

Reply #81272 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I was going to say television but I think g-diddy nailed it above.

Reply #81276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #81284 | Report this post

JS  
Years ago

I want to put my vote in for the invention of the shot clock as being the most influential

Reply #81287 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

IMO, Magic's diagnosis wasn't the biggest event in basketball history.
Granted (at the time) it was huge, but the Bang has certainly been a Whimper for the last 5 years at least.

I believe that Magic vs Bird was a great rivalry that really polarised basketball. The mid to late 80's was the renaissance of basketball - before the players became too hungry and the hype became TOO big.

It's only my opinion though.

Reply #81297 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Magic v Bird was the perfect platform for Jordan - So that right there - The transition from Magic vs Bird to Jordan era was the most influential event in bball history imo.

Reply #81305 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What about Dr Naismith cutting the hole out of the bottm of the peach basket?

Saved a whole lot of time and occ health and safety issues with ladders and coucil permits to erect constructions to get the ball out of the basket.

Reply #81359 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

For me the most influential event was when channel 7 (im pretty sure it was 7) showed the NBA Finals between Lakers and Celtics on Sunday mornings (straight after the Thunderbirds)in the 80's. Up until that time I had no knowledge or interest in basketball but watching those guys introduced me to a game I have loved ever since!

Reply #81376 | Report this post

Karch Karai  
Years ago

The Nike "Legend" Shoe.

Reply #81416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman i reckon it was abc. It was kareems last season.

Reply #81418 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Statman, i too watched those series and believe it was ch7 that showed it. Magic vs Bird was phenomenal!

My moment though was the All Star game that had Magic up against MJ and Isiah Thomas where Magic went 1on1 with both and nailed 3's over the top of them i believe he went on to get MVP of the game. That was a definitive moment in basketball where it showed Magic was still the best yet HIV had cut his career short, passing on the baton to Thomas and MJ.

Reply #81494 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Ctdcb.jpg

Reply #81495 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Surley MJ has been the most publisied player in history. he really brought basketball to the world, even these days you ask anyone to name a player im pretty sure MJ would be there answer. I believe the hype over MJ at the time brought basketball to the world. but the most influential to the game has to be the shot-clock

Reply #81515 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

What about the Bulls dynasty?

People will talk about that for a long time yet, and certainly changed how a lot of people looked at the sport, and at the Bulls outfit alone.

To see how players and coaches then got shafted for management was also pivotal in realising that all of those "commodities" were expendable.

I personally thought that was quite a turning moment that turned the sport into a business.

Also, introduction of the 3 point line changed the sport considerably.

Reply #81540 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

If you want to talk about dynasties then I think the Celtics get the cake, personally.
Also, IMO, before we start talking about Magic, Bird and Jordan expanding the game of basketball, I think a little mentioned hero is David Stern, who for me introduced the policies and opened the door for the game to go worldwide, and was probably responsible for marketing these guys in the first place.
I do find it too hard to say what is the most influential moment 'though. How about Jordan getting cut from his varsity team? May well have given him the inspiration to become the best ever

Reply #81548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754