Anonymous
Years ago

State Champs - Results/Upsets/Discussion

Anyone with some early results, please post here. Any big upsets yet? Any buzzer beaters? State Champs buzzer beaters are the best!!! Anyone care to do a preview for any of the competitions being played this weekend? I don't know enough to do a preview.

Topic #7252 | Report this topic

Eagle  
Years ago

Some results up already, well done Arnie and co

Reply #81467 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Southern Tigers 18/1 Men very impressive last night and are my tip to take it out.

Reply #81481 | Report this post

norwoods u16g were 3 points down with 1.20 to play and won by 3

their div 2 team has better players in form - particlularly talls - they will need to greatly improve to have any show at the classics

Reply #81516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG! does Arnie sleep? left a game 90 mins ago and the results are already up for it and others played!!

Well done BASA crew!!

Reply #81522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt just beat southern by 20 - 18's men, "Mott the Hoople" maybe u should change that tip :)

Reply #81532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, saw the Southern Sturt game, southern laid down after some impressive D fom the sturt boys

Reply #81535 | Report this post

Bill Gates  
Years ago

Saw the game and was very impressed with the Southern boys coming through. It seems the ABL team in a few years may be full of very athletic and versatile juniors. I'm not a Southern person but was quite impressed with both the style of play and leadership shown by some of the second year players. However Sturt were far to good on the night. I expect to still see the Southern team in the final, its just going to be tougher to get there.

Reply #81536 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I just saw the result - just shows you what kind of judge I am??

Reply #81538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18 boys South beat Sturt by 5 points. Unfortunate for South though they had to win by 24 due to their 26 point loss to Tigers. So U18 its now down to Sturt, Forestville, Tigers and North. Anyone got results of those games considering they were being played at 1?

Reply #81566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt beat Forestville in double overtime

Reply #81568 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

North beat Southern in 18 boys at Pas.

Reply #81569 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Under 20 men, game went into overtime, West beat Tigers by 2. West were down by 1 with 2 seconds to go and an inbound from halfway. Chris Molitor nailed a fadeaway 3 to win in. Beautiful to watch.

Reply #81582 | Report this post

Crystalcruiser  
Years ago

U/12 boys Sturt beat Southern by 1 point in a tight, hard contested game!
The spectators were treated to a brilliant game fought out between two teams giving it their all.
If this is the future of basketball in Sth Oz things are looking rosey.
Congratulations Sturt, commiserations Southern, hold your heads high you have yourself and the club proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #81583 | Report this post

u16 girls - woodville currently top home and away season - did not even make top 4 at state champs

Reply #81610 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just wondering...anyone else confused with teams being allowed to use players who do not play in the junior comp - at all - play state champs? BASA should look at this before next year. If a player does not play in the junior comp during the current season, they should not be eligible to play in the junior state champs.
Oh and before anyone jumps in with "sour grapes" my team won, this is just a query.

Reply #81634 | Report this post

81634, not a bad point. What about the situation with kids going to the AIS and coming back to play in the state champs only? I would agree that they should not be allowed to play either bit im interested to hear what other people think.

Reply #81641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 20's should be in the State Champs, but should NOT score points for any club trophies. Here are some reasons why?

1. Under 18's and below are juniors. Anything above is seniors.

2. The teams that play are very different from who plays Friday nights.

3. At Under 20's, especially in the girls, the teams that hit the floor DO NOT generally represent that club's junior development program. Many of the best players are either at the AIS, interstate NBL, WNBL or ABL, college.

4. There are many players who have moved here to play WNBL, ABL, NBL who again have moved here for senior reasons. No problem with this but they do not represent that club's junior development program.

5. There are many players who move clubs at Under 20's for senior reasons (eg ABL). Why should one club who develops a player be potentially beaten for a JUNIOR club trophy by players it has developed.

I am not against any of these movements, they are the way of the world and mostly are good for players and teams alike. They should not however play in a grade which counts for the most prestigious junior awards in SA.

Reply #81648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What we need is all clubs scoring points!
That would negate the effect of one or two players.

Reply #81651 | Report this post

I believe the U21's concept does need to be looked at, along the lines of what #81648 has said.

U21 State Championship G/Final was played by two teams that both had players that (to my knowledge...)haven't played a Friday U21's game for their club this season or last.

I remember sitting at Forestville stadium watching the U20 Grand Final with capacity crowd of Winners, Losers, and Families, watching the up and coming juniors from each club.

North don't have an U21 team, and i didn't even know what Rebecca Duke (A fantastic player!)looks like.

West (1st) & Norwood (2nd) are on top of the U21 Friday ladder... yet Norwood finished 3rd in State Champs, and West played off for 5th/6th!!!

Surely in the interests of good basketball, and maintaining what little remnants of the former prestige the U20 Grand Finals used to have, there needs to be an overhaul of the U21 concept, and at S.Champs, rules put in place to ensure that the best TEAMS, not the teams with the best player, get the opportunity at Grand Final Glory???

I look forward to discussion regarding this issue.

Reply #81850 | Report this post

Points for Champion Club awards

Girls (tie North and Sturt)

North 14
Sturt 14
Fville 13
Norwood 6
Southern 5
South 2

Boys (Sturt)

Sturt 20
Norwood 8
Southern 8
West 8
North 6
Eastern 2
Fville 2
South 1

Overall (Sturt)

Sturt 34
North 20
Fville 15
Norwood 14
Southern 13
West 9
South 3
Eastern 2

Thoughts anyone?

Reply #81910 | Report this post

boiler room  
Years ago

Does someone have the results from say the last 5-6 yrs???

Reply #81915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like West Boys have dropped off the radar. They had better hope they have a bunch of bottom age players in this years teams.

Eastern and Centrals more so, prove that having only 10 - 20 teams does not make for a good club level.

South obviously have more problems than they think. But if you asked their coaches they are doing a great job.

Norths and Forestville can be happy that their girls are doing well but their boys have dropped the ball.

Reply #81929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754