Anonymous
Years ago

Locked: Under 18 State

I heard the state team was being chosen after state champs, does anyone know what the team is?

Topic #7263 | Report this topic

52-Cans  
Years ago

To my knowledge

Harri Harvey
Mitch Simmons
Michael Florence
Sam Hemmings
Bryce Whitaker
Andrew (Fish)
Claybrin McMath
Matt Dubrich
Sam Whittleston
Zac Johnson

Reserves
Jarryd Fildes
James Boonstoppel
Owen Giovinni
Sam Harding

Few surprises.

Reply #81584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very very suprising, definatly not the team i wouldve chosen ....

Reply #81585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

few surprises alright what do you have to do to make ateam when you haven't played for months let alone trained? few surprises? more like few mistakes!

Reply #81586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not the strognest state team i have ever seen. going to be week of the bench

Reply #81587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldn't have been my selections. think they are gonna struggle.

Reply #81589 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Well considering the team had to be into Basketball Australia before last friday. I would say the team was picked some time ago and the coaching staff held off telling the players until after this weekend. Remembering that team can be changed right up to 20 mins before the first game. That's when the score sheet has to be filled out. After that no changes can be made for the tournament. Good luck to everyone that made it and the coaching staff. I know you'll do your best for SA.

Reply #81592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BC the team has to be sent to BA on the 19th, under 16,s on the 12th

Reply #81601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems to me they have gone with big not athletic, all the reserves are smallestof the squad, except harry but all are fast & reliable. they will struggle with speed & fitness. don't expect miracles from this years team.

Reply #81612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck boys. All of you that made it have been picked for a reason. Play to your strengths and you will do OK. Do not listen to the people who come on here to question your selections. Be Proud and Play Hard.

Reply #81627 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Here's an option for people who aren't happy with the makeup of the team: secede from the Commonwealth and form your OWN province like this guy, and you get to pick your own team.

The more I think about it, what's stopping me from heading over to Hutt River and trying out for ANY Olympic sport (I'm not fussy) for Beijing 2008?

Reply #81632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think because in each sport there is a certain point which is set for olympic qualification each year eg maybe 10.7 in 100 metre sprints or something

Reply #81640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on the girls selections?

Reply #81652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering they had 4 players at Nationals last year in Harvey, Whittleson,Hemmings and Whittaker, Florence and Johnson kept as reserves they have a good group to work with. Add Dubrich, McMath Brahams and Simmons and this team will be more than competitive. Size does matter at Nationals and this team is huge in all positions on the court.

Reply #81658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this team is definatly not weak off the bench. they are very big and have not lost a whole lot of talent by putting Fildes, Giovinni, Boonstopple and Harding as reserves. this team will be very competative this year.

Reply #81683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can be tall but if you dont have a solid body you will get chewed up at an under 18 nationals. eg.. brice,andrew,mitch

Reply #81688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha that hutt river thing is gold, on a more serious note, the team is good, but could be much better than it is, i dont totally agree with it

Reply #81701 | Report this post

Chuck D  
Years ago

For those who know lovedays style of coaching and the type of stuff he likes to run, this group is a perfect fit, hence why he would have picked it. i think this group could do quite well especially infront of the home crowd, might do better than lovedays outstanding group led by ingles a couple of years back.

Reply #81707 | Report this post

anono  
Years ago

any news on the girls?

Reply #81712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos brahams mentioned in a post above.

Reply #81716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Braham. Sturt and SASI. 6'5 small forward. Lots of talent, very hard worker. Playing Div 4 two years ago. Good now, but will be a hell of a player when he develops better strength.

Reply #81725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's more like 6'6 and a 1/2. once he does gets some meat on him he will be a solid player at a national level. he loves his left hook, it is deadly.

Reply #81728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah i know who your talking about. But small forward that guy play PF and C no way can he play SF, and ye will be definatly better when he gets some meat onto him because he's a stick at the moment.

Reply #81750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well he's gunna have to play SF

Reply #81770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could you possibly pick someone who hasnt trained for state yet let alone being injured for the last 6 or 7 months. Poor poor decision! My bet is he wont play because he wont be 100% fit by the time state comes around.

Reply #81798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word has it that player in question is never fit even when not injured. will be interesting!

Reply #81807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEAH IVE WATCHED HIM PLAY VERY SHOWY FULL OF ATTITUDE BUT CAN RUN THE COURT

Reply #81813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you reckon the 1st year players will go?

Reply #81815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I have heard, 4th in their pool will be a good result, but maybe the team exceeds all thoughts and expectations and does better. Hope of course they make top2 and go on to the gf from there, but won't bet my r&r money on it.

Reply #81820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they may have picked tall players, but they still have to know how to play. This team is a joke and almost laughable.

Maybe the tatic of being injurd for a year and not even training is the way to go towards getting picked in a state team, because they obviously weren't looking at the skill that was training.

Reply #81825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i want to know how come one boy from north has only be picked as they may summer finals and state finals and norwood get zac there with a injured knee. what is zac doing he is unfit and has not played for so long not a good state side at all

Reply #81841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think its time the players that have been cut from this team stops bagging zac. i think he has proven himself last year when he was a reserve that is why he has been picked in this team. now that the team has been picked i think that we should all show our support to the boys and all make sure we are all out at nationals for them.

Reply #81847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading these threads is always entertaining. 4 days ago it was the Norwood boys showing the State Coaches how wrong they were. Where did they finish in the State Champs, funny, nobody wants to talk about that anymore. Then the Sturt kids should not be selected, too skinny, cant play, where did they finish, oh thats right first I think, also I heard a rumour they also defeated one of the top 4 Vic teams at Easter. Now we have a kid who is injured and should not be included, oh dear what if he cant play, how can they possibly pick someone from the reserves to take his place, I would not be too concerened as a coach if I had the kids who are currently reserves up my sleeve.
So we have read the opinions and predictions of you experts, which I must add have been all wrong so far. The team is picked, bitching is not going to change it, these boys whether they would be your pick or not are going to represent our sport for our State.
If you missed out, get focused on improving your game, you can never work too hard. Getting into the kids who were selected will not help your situation, making sure the coaches cannot turn you down next year should be your focus.
Time will tell if the team was the right one, and yes the Coaches will shoulder either the Glory or abuse.
The team is going to have a hard job to perform against the vics, why should they be fighting you lot as well, get behind them, you will have plenty of opportunities in 10 weeks to say I told you so, or mybe you are wrong, we shall see

Reply #81852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have played against all these kids & also did not try out for the state team, so I'm not bitching because I got dropped. Everyone that made the top 14 are players of their own right. Yes it is surprising that they went for a totally tall team, and yes zac will have a lot of hard work to get himself fit - I don't think he will be able to do it based on his past performances. Andrew, Mitch & Bryce are in need of beefing up, don't think they can do too much before July. Bad luck for the boys who made reserve always hard but they are good enough just not tall enough. The draw looks favourable for SA Metro so they should go through to final.

Reply #81859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lay off of Zac. he is not the only one with suspect injury and fitness problems. the reserves are more than tall and good enough and skilled. let the coahces and players prove their selection was correct. time will tell.

Reply #81861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was talking sunday night to a selected player he was saying a couple of them have concerns about fitness amongst the ranks -interesting

Reply #81862 | Report this post

1 to 10  
Years ago

I fail to see how fitness is a problem when all these kids train or play 7 to 8 times a week at least. Looks like some of you are looking for excuses. Zac Johnson was a reserve last year so obviously the coaches know what he is capable of. If he doesnt pull through they can always replace him, if they didnt choose him then it isnt an option. Smart move.
This team has height most ABA coaches would love to have. Dubrich 6"9, Whittleson 6"6,McMath 6"5, Johnson 6"5 Brahams 6"6,Whittaker 6"5 Florence 6"4, Hemmings 6"4 Simmons 6"3 and Harvey at 5"10. All good athletes with long wingspans who run the floor.
This team has great potential. Good luck boys.

Reply #81875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, a very athletic team this year, should be great to watch. Good luck to all of them!
Discussion earlier about the draw. Is it out yet and if so where would i find it? Any ideas on captaincy or who will step up and take lead on the floor for this team?

Reply #81895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod : I think you went a bit far assessing juniors in a negative fashion. Keep it positive or keep quiet)

Reply #81919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with this team that has been assembled, it makes u wonder, do they want to loose? this team is just made on height, apart from harvey, there are 2 talls in resverves (jarryd fildes and owen) who have better skills and ability than 2 of the players who made the team. This team hopefully doesnt do well so the coaches learn height isnt everything, and they learn from mistakes

Reply #81926 | Report this post

tony  
Years ago

How many sturt players made state and did the tall dark guy make it because i believe he is very talented

Reply #81953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Claybrin McMath is in the team

Reply #81955 | Report this post

tony  
Years ago

I saw him play against Darebin and he did a good job for Sturt.Darebin dont have any state players but i think that the big guy from Darebin whos name may be Marlo or Marlon was a bit quick for him.

Reply #81960 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

any other sturt players in metro or country squads?

Reply #81961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guys obviously the coaches know what that wanted in the team and if they wanted height then they had plenty of it to choose from, give the guys a go before you start bagging there decisions, and once nationals are over if they do finish below par then say what you like but dont bag a team or the coaches before they have run

Reply #81962 | Report this post

53 bottles  
Years ago

so now the team is picked, who will be captain?

Reply #81967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harvey you'd say...maybe hemmings he's always a coaches favourite.

Reply #81977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

be hemmings or chief. Harry vice captain. Harry is the best player but pretty quiet when it comes to captaincy.

Reply #81979 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

who do these guys play for

Reply #81982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harry harvey - majorly over rated
josh krake - robbed

Reply #81991 | Report this post

Mr Smoothe  
Years ago

is Harry a Norwood boy?

Reply #81995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

duuude but time someone brought up krake, yer i agree he would have added some depth in a huge team!

isnt harvey a F'ville boy??

Reply #82003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes harvey is a forestville boy, and i think that krake was robbed of the team as well. he once scored 51 against woodville, any effort like that deserves at least a spot in top 14.

Reply #82008 | Report this post

hooper  
Years ago

is harvey the red head kid from Fville...who is the dark haired boy from Fville ,a guard , that carries the ball big time and never gets picked up..is he in state also

Reply #82109 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

The red head is boonstoppel the dark haired is harvey

Reply #82114 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

krake didn't make the final 14 because he's lazy anybody could score 51 against woodville if they shot the ball every posession

Reply #82117 | Report this post

Seth and Munchie  
Years ago

Krake lazy? You are an absolute clown. Obviously you don't know the kid at all.
Guess you weren't at the Woodville game either. The team scored 146 that day so it's not like Josh was taking all the shots.

Reply #82119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anybody could score 51 against Woodville if they shot with every possession why don't they then?

Reply #82122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would u like sum1 looking like that represent sa?

Reply #82123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who are the backup gaurds?

and i think your dead wrong about harvey being overated, he's the only player in the team picked because of his skills, not physical attributes. I think them going with size over skill will haunt them. look at micheal oliwakandi

if any ones overated its definatley hemmings

Reply #82124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

could not agree with you more hemmings is a big ego who directs traffic & not much more harvey is a great talent especially if he can get his eye in and shoot over big guys from outside

Reply #82127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hemmings overated?? Dont think so. Played with him last year and i would much rather play with him then against. He was the only 1st year last year to start and get quality time at nationals and i heard kicked arse state champs. Harvey quality player also

Reply #82128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harvey is definantly not overated!! He has the most natural skills out of anyone in the team!

Reply #82129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hemmings hah whatever!!!!!!!!! should have stayed in victoria

Reply #82130 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One more comment judging the performance of an U18 player and this thread gets locked.

Reply #82134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can anyone let me know who these kids play for...i know the Forestville boys but not much else and a few sturt players

Reply #82138 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Harri Harvey - F/ville
Mitch Simmons - Sturt
Michael Florence - Southern Tigers
Sam Hemmings - Southern Tigers
Bryce Whitaker - F/ville
Andrew (Fish) - Sturt
Claybrin McMath - Sturt
Matt Dubrich - South
Sam Whittleston - North
Zac Johnson - Norwood

Reserves
Jarryd Fildes - F/ville
James Boonstoppel - F/ville
Owen Giovinni - Norwood
Sam Harding - South

Reply #82140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think sa metro will go well against vic metro who dont have a lot of size this year. they will rely on Natoli who is the best guard going around but not a huge deal of support. The 2 Knox bigs who are in the vic team were destroyed by darebin 3 weeks back so they are overated i believe.The big from Dandenong is very overated and this year coaches overlooked some boys that are now really performing.

Reply #82142 | Report this post

Outside Observer  
Years ago

It's amazing how many negative emails are being sent about who was picked. Being a good sportsman is very much lacking here, if you weren't picked then you obviously weren't up to form and you need to take a good look at yourself before you start commenting about others. Good luck to those who were picked and be proud, you made it, they didn't, enjoy it!!

Reply #82174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outside observer, although this is probably the wrong forum i think a few of the guys that missed out have a strong case for been very dissapointed. I doubt any of the kids that were cut would be the ones actually commenting here.

It will be interesting to see how loveday goes.

Reply #82175 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754