Anonymous
Years ago

Half-Way Line

I was at the West vs Southern U20's grand final tonight... was just wondering why West got the ball at halfway with 2 seconds left. They called a timeout BEFORE the foulshots, so how can what happens after a foulshot be determined by something that happened before? Shouldn't they have only get the ball at the half if the Tigers hit the foulshots, then West called a timeout? If the Tigers player had missed the 2nd foul shot and West grabbed the rebound, would the clock have stopped and they could have taken the ball to the half? I don't think so.

Topic #7266 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

eat it

Reply #81608 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

Rule change came into effect about 6 months ago. Basically, it is the same as if they called the timeout after the foulshot. They get the opportunity to advance the ball after the successful foul shots because they caled the time out.

If they miss the foul shots, play on.

Reply #81631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if a defensive team calls a time out (in the last two minutes) and have the ball in their back court they have the opportunity to advance the ball up to the half court line.

question did defensive team call time out, if west the answer would be yes.

question did they have the ball in their back court, if a foul shot had been made they would have the ball on the end line so the answer would be yes.

question, was it in the last two minutes, i've heard it was the last few seconds so the answer would be yes.

so west as the defensive team has called a time out in the last two minutes, they have received the ball in their back court and have taken the option to advance the ball up to the half court line.

decision correct.

Reply #81650 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

But West did not have the ball in their back court at the time the time out was called. Southern were at the foul line.

So should the ball be advanced when there were two foul shots between the Time Out and the ball being advanced up the floor?

Reply #81662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Q.

where was the ball at West's disposal when play resumed as southern had made the foul shot the ball was at west's disposal.

Reply #81670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The FIBA Central Board at its meeting held on 18th -19th May 2005 in Nyon, Switzerland adopted the
following amendments to the Official Basketball Rules:

3. During the last two (2) minutes of the fourth (4th) period or each extra-period, if a time out is
granted:
* to the non-scoring team after the valid field goal,
* to the team that has been awarded the possession of the ball in its back court,
the throw-in, following the time-out, shall be administrated at the centre line extended, opposite
the scorer's table. The player taking the throw-in shall be entitled to pass the ball to a team-
mate at any place on the playing court.
The above amendments are valid for all main official FIBA competitions as of 1st October 2005.

where in there does it say the request for the time out has to be made after the foul shot has been taken.

in plain english if the non scoring team (in this instance West) has a time out in the last two minutes, has possession of the ball in their back court they can progress the ball up to the half court line.

Reply #81673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clock does not start running until after 2nd fould shot. So at time defensive side receive ball after successful fould shot time is still out - hence can advance the ball to half court line to recommence clock.

Reply #81684 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

It's a grey area in the rule, but IMO they did the wrong thing.

Reply #81685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Q you are entitled to your opinion.

but there is no grey area in the rule

the team with the ball in the back court who called the time out in the last two minutes is entitled to take the ball to the half court line.

I gather your from Southern, I am from neither team nor saw the game but by the facts stated on here the decision is correct there is no grey area.

disregard the foul shots, disregard when the request was made

"* to the team that has been awarded the possession of the ball in its back court,
the throw-in, following the time-out, shall be administrated at the centre line extended, opposite
the scorer's table. The player taking the throw-in shall be entitled to pass the ball to a team-
mate at any place on the playing court."

I can still not see where the problem is

Reply #81699 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

I am neither from Southern nor West.

I did in fact see the game and the incident and in fact know of some very wise people who agree with me.

You disregard two important facts about the situation. Hence I see the issue as a grey area and you do not.

Reply #81702 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No grey area at all.

In the last 2 minutes of the game, after a successful final free throw, either team may be granted a timeout if it was requested prior to the ball being at the disposal of player for a throw in.

Note that this is the only time that a team that has just scored may be granted a timeout.

Now,if the team granted the timeout is the team that was just scored against (the defending team), then the ball would normally be passed in from the backcourt baseline.

If the time out is in the last 2 minutes of the final (or any extra) period, and the play currently is in the backcourt of that team, then the ball SHALL BE advanced to the half way line.

Therefore - even if the timout was requested prior to foul shots, and the last foul shot is successful, when play resumes after the timeout it shall be at the centre line (in the last 2 minutes).

Reply #81703 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

Anon,

The time out was taken before the shots not after. That's why it's being discussed on here.

Reply #81704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Q i apologise for not reading all of the question if the time out was taken before the shots, i read it as the request was made before the shots.

if the time out was before the shots were awarded the time out ends with the ball at the disposal of southern then I would believe an error might have been made.

In all events ask the oracle Trevor Baker

Reply #81708 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Understanding dawns on me ...
Now I see your point.
We must consult the oracle ...

Reply #81713 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I was on the scorebench for the West/Southern game and the 3 coaches and the coach in charge discussed this prior to the ball going to the half way line (and they were standing right in front of me at the time). they were all clear and all in agreement on what had to happen and they made sure that the rule was carried out correctly.

Reply #81721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you mean the 3 umpires?

This has happened in NBL and WNBL games.

The point counts, the ball is then advanced to the half way line for throw in.

Reply #81931 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754