stoned coaster
Years ago

state champs 2007

so how will it look next year ?

start on Thursday night to ease playing load?

still split over 2 weekends? (yes plse)

limestone in state not reserves?

iron triangle / riverland teams?

another weekend rather than mothers' day ?

comments please

Topic #7296 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about not having 8 minute, fully timed games? By the end of the weekend it felt like each game went for ever! Granted the State Champs test who is the best team, included in 'best' is fittest, but even the fittest teams struggled on Sunday.

Reply #82145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my bad, fully timed games with 8 minute QUARTERS

Reply #82146 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

What about both State and Reserve playing the preliminary rounds on one weekend and then the finals on the next. I think some of the surprising results this year resulted from playing too many games over one weekend and the final being a tack on at the end.

Particularly with the younger age groups, some of the kids struggled to play quality ball by the end. It is supposed to be a tournament to determine the best teams in the state, not a carnival style, survival of the fittest!!

Reply #82153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually it is also a suvival of the fittest. It is a qualification tournament for the classics which has a 3 game day foloowed by a 2 game day. We want our best teams in this tournament.

Reply #82160 | Report this post

Patrick Johnston  
Years ago

Spinner,

I think that could be the most positive suggestion I have heard re the champs.

An excellent idea. Play all the round games one weekend, finals the next.

Only issue is of course the travelling issue for those in the country.

It doesn't matter the age group, it is a big ask to play so many games in a short period.

In fact its probably harder on the 20's and 18's than anyone because of the intensity of the games.

Reply #82161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I prefer the way it was this year. Concentrated games as you would experience in Melbourne. In addition having it finished on one weekend allows for teams to have a mid season break for a week. Chance to take some time out from basketball, refresh yourself etc.

Reply #82163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with the classics in melbourne you have long weekend - extra day for teams struggling with injuries its a big ask to condense into Friday night, then saturday & finals sunday only couple hours recovery in some cases. mother's day proved a real challenge too as many struggled to catch up with mothers & grandmothers - very important consideration.

Reply #82169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great thread. Great idea spinner. Either do it spinner's way or have games on the Thursday night to spread it out.

Another idea being tossed around is to have State Champs at Easter, and move the Norwood Carnival to March long weekend. Any thoughts...

Reply #82170 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

I would leave Easter to the Norwood carnival. Most clubs are flexible on whether to enter a team or not and Easter is important holiday time for families. Having State champs at Easter means that you have to play basketball on that weekend.

Reply #82171 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Top idea, Spinner.

It wont be spread over more than 2 weekends for the whole event as it simply comes down to $$. BSA arent getting any income for spectators, or game fees (OK, apart from the nomination fee). From a business perspective, it wouldnt happen as it is not viable.

Maybe some stadia shouldnt be allowed to hire out their venues to other competitions, ie Church, for those two weekends so that there are more courts available on the Saturday arvo. Then it wouldnt go for as long either.

I think generally it was run well but there is always room for improvemnt. Not having it on Mothers Day would be a fairly big one.

Reply #82187 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

BMG

Not suggesting more than two weekends - just one weekend for both State & Reserve Grade preliminary rounds and then the next for semi's on the Saturday and grand finals on the Sunday.

Could then go back the proper presentations at the end.

Reply #82197 | Report this post

Mother's Day may make for bad timing and a long weekend should be a must if your going to simulate the Melbourne Classics.
And altho it does make for a heavy workload it is what a carnival and the Classics is all about. And all teams play the same no. of games so there's no disadvantage there.
Spinner, tho nice in theory, ask your players... i'll put money on them wanting to keep it on the one weekend!!
And what you've suggested would be a logistical nightmare and a disadvantage to those competing in final who would no longer get a break and create greater opportunities for teams to differ week to week - injuries, illness etc. Gotta be who's best then and there.

Reply #82199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So spreading it out over two weekends it can become the BasketballSA Adelaide Championships.

Say goodbye to all country teams.

Reply #82205 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

# 82205

Yeh, good point re country teams. What do you suggest?

Reply #82208 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

Country Championships should mean something more.

Have the Country Champs double as the State Championships qualification round. Same as the local Summer Season sets seeds for Adelaide Teams.

Obviously the event staying as it is needs a long weekend. That simply isn't the case at the moment.

Do we look at changing the Championships to March and follow the long weekend?

While the concept of seperating Reserves and State was probably necessary, it ruined the atmosphere. Just like the Schools Tournament atmosphere has gone from seperating the finals series between Pasadena and the Dome.

Just like making Under 10's a second tier competition and having them not involved at all.

(Sorry a little venting there.)

Without a long weekend I think we need to make use of the available time better. I agree that Thursday night games might be the way to go.

I think the whole weekend needs more build up. Without the hype generated in the past by this forum, the 2006 tournament for me was well boring. Busy yes but it lacked the excitement, interest and HYPE of the previous two tournaments. Seperating State and Reserves I think played a part in that too.

To the point:

STRUCTURE
IMO State and Reserve needs to be combined again. Hold the event in March on the Adelaide Cup Weekend OR play Thursday Night games.

I'd look into having State games revert back to 4 10min quarters. IMO have Under 10's involved.

Have the two Grand Finalists from the Country Championships compete in the State Group and the other two Semi Finalists in Reserve.

Try to organise position play off games before the Grand Finals so that they can then go to the Grand Finals of their age group as well.

Play ALL Grand Finals at the Dome (or one venue if the Dome isn't being used in 2007). Having the Grand Finals spread out on Sunday and over two venues detroys the chance of any finals atmosphere IMO.

PROMOTION
Bring back age group MVP's and even All-Star 5s. Junior Coach of the year awards and Junior Referee of the year awards. Even Junior Administrator of the year, Most Improved Club, Biggest Club etc. Why NOT!?

BUILD IT UP! Have Boti or Paul Arnott or ANYONE (RJ even) write a preview and distribute it around the venues and clubs/club websites. Get people interested, we're talking about the best Junior Basketballers in the State!

This year's tournament was a massive improvement in a lot of areas on 2005. Also the change of structure caused a few issues but overall I think Paul Arnott and Neil Poulton deserve a lot of credit for the smooth running of the tournament this year. In no way am I having a go at either, I just think that there's always room for improvement.

(And ask STOP and maybe even the Statistics people of Adelaide to get involved for Grand Finals.)

Reply #82209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i like it i like it,

Actually an age grup which has 9 teams makes for an uneven competition. For example in the U16 Girls. Sturt only had 3 round games and had a bye on Saturday evening. The Norwood team that they played in the semi-final had 4 games including a game Saturday night and Sunday morning. Not really a fair contest i that situation.

Reply #82210 | Report this post

Never going to please everyone or be completely fair - even with an even no. of teams one side of the draw is often easier than the other.
But it is graded so the extra game they had to play should have been against a walkover team where the starters could get a decent rest.

Reply #82217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should never judge a book by it's cover

Reply #82220 | Report this post

klinger  
Years ago

for such an important event,a week end with 6/7 games is way to much.The 4 day break at easter is perfect time for it.norwood will jump and down about there carnival(which funds their senior program )but what is more important norwoods money or the health of our kids.i wonder how many kids needed monday of school to recover.if 4 days is to much at easter ,make over the sat,sun,mon.

Reply #82340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i ilke it i like it,

It was not the fact that they played an extra game. But rather that the team they played after in the semi had not played for 20 hours and they had played a game 4 hours prior. And that during those 20 hours break the other team had. They actually played 2 games.

Reply #82345 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

i can only see a couple flaws in this plan, playing Thursday night games will eliminate country team just as playing it over two weekends may, even more so with school and whatever on the thurs and fri. secondly playing over easter will not work people go away over easter and generally like to have it a family time, therefore it would not be practicle for many teams.

What i think would spread it out perfectlly would be having 12 team comps (9 or 10 BSA clubs and 2 or 3 country teams) and spliting it into 4 groups therefore only having two group matchs (played friday and saturday morning) then having a three round finals series (sat night, sun morn and the GF sun arvo). Or even only only top team goes through from each group, playing semis sat night and GF sunday.

As for the problem of Mother's day, is there anything saying that this weekend HAS to be used??

Reply #82348 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Q,

"Country Championships should mean something more.
Have the Country Champs double as the State Championships qualification round."

Country Championships do mean something! It gives a chance for those teams like Murray Bridge, Mt Gambier, Millicent, Whyalla, Port Pirie, Port Augusta, SYP, Adelaide Plains to play off to say that they are the best in SA Country.

The problem with Country Champs doubling as the State Championships qualification round is that what if you have players who play both for a country association and a metro club? You are then making that player choose between their local home town (the place where they started playing basketball) and their local metro club.

Who would Jordan Dodman play for? Port Augusta (who he plays for in SA Country) or Sturt?

Good idea, but unfortunately it puts some players in a difficult position.

Reply #82350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont country players who also play in a metro team, have to play for the metro team first in the state champs ?

I though that was the rule.

Reply #82352 | Report this post

ShutUp!  
Years ago

Q, I do stats for my club and have in past years done stats for Certain Coaches (ususllay U18 or U20) & I know that at least two of our STOP scorers did "24 second" clock at a number of games at Marion last Saturday.

Reply #82370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754