Girls

U12 - Forrestville, North, Norwood, Southern, Sturt, Woodville

U14 - Forrestville, Norwood, Southern, Sturt, Woodville

U16 - North, Sturt, Southern, Woodville

U18 - North, Norwood, Sturt, West, Woodville

Topic #7307 | Report this topic

Take Luck  
Years ago

well done to the woodville girls team. very big step up from even last year i would think. great job girls

Reply #82238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern 14 Boys r u serious????

Reply #82239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

add Forrestville to U18 Girls I missed one

Reply #82240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did southern miss out in 18s??

Reply #82241 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

They didn't, the poster must have just missed them. South did miss out though, as 2 NSW teams are heading over.

Reply #82243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry missed a few, copied and pasted this time

Under 12 Girls
Altona
Bulleen
Dandenong
Diamond Valley
Forestville S.A
Kilsyth
Knox
North Adelaide
Norwood
Nunawading
Southern S.A
Sturt S.A.
Sunbury
Sydney N.S.W
Werribee
Woodville S.A

Under 12 Girls
Altona
Bulleen
Dandenong
Diamond Valley
Forestville S.A
Kilsyth
Knox
North Adelaide
Norwood
Nunawading
Southern S.A
Sturt S.A.
Sunbury
Sydney N.S.W
Werribee
Woodville S.A

Under 16 Girls
Bendigo
Bulleen
Canberra A.C.T
Dandenong
Diamond Valley
Eltham
Hills Districts
Melbourne
Nth Adelaide S.A.
Nth Suburbs N.S.
Nunawading
Nunawading (2)
Southern S.A
Sturt S.A.
Sydney N.S.W
Woodville S.A

Under 18 Girls
Canberra A.C.T
Dandenong
Diamond Valley
Eltham
Forestville S.A
Kilsyth
Knox
North Adelaide
Norwood
Nunawading
Nunawading (2)
Sturt
Sydney
West Adelaide
Woodville S.A
Country Team

Boys

Under 12 Boys
Bulleen
Dandenong
Eastern Maverick S.A
Forestville S.A
Keilor
Kilsyth
Knox
Melbourne
Nth Adelaide S.A
Nth Suburbs N.S.W
Sandringham
Southern S.A
Sturt S.A
Sutherland N.S.W
Werribee
Woodville S.A

Uner 14 Boys
Dandenong
Eastern Maverick S.A
Frankston
Hawthorn
Horsham
Keilor
Knox
McKinnon
Norwood S.A
Nth Adelaide S.A
Nth Suburbs N.S.W
Nunawading
Southern S.A
Sth Adelaide S.A
Sturt S.A
Sutherland N.S.W

Under 16 Boys
Bulleen
Canberra A.C.T
Eltham
Forestville S.A
Geelong
Kilsyth
Knox
Melbourne
Nth Suburbs N.S.W
Norwood S.A
Nunawading
Sandringham
Sth Adelaide S.A
Sturt S.A
Sydeny N.S.W
West Adelaide S.A

Under 18 Boys
Ballarat
Bankstown N.S.W
Canberra A.C.T
Dandenong
Darebin
Forestville S.A
Keilor
Kilsyth
Melbourne
Nth Adelaide S.A
Norwood S.A
Nunawading
Ringwood
Southern S.A
Sturt S.A
Sutherland N.S.W

Reply #82244 | Report this post

roxbury  
Years ago

6 in under 12 girls - that is deep

yes well done woodville

es[pecially in u18 girls - they have only won 2 or 3 games the last couple of seasons there

what happened to norwood in u16 girls

Reply #82256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am all for our teams getting involved - but some of the 4th / 5th / 6 th SA teams are going to get thumped big time by the better interstate teams

long term it will hopefully force them to play better - but there will be some shalakings

Reply #82275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is the team labelled as

"country team" in u18 girls ?

Reply #82276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my guess it would be a team from country victoria

Reply #82280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The draw wont be far away then either.

Reply #82286 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Pity South U18B didn't make it as they were the only team to beat Sturt (State Champs) on the weekend.

Reply #82290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why isnt norwood 16 girls going

Reply #82291 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Too many teams out of their depth and will be absolutely flogged. Is the Classic tournament starting to loose it gloss as so many SA teams have been invited, and honestly, some should not be going. i realize everybody wants to get there, but the question is are you better taking your team to the Nunawading tournament and being competitive, or, take your team to the Classics and get flogged and not gain a lot out of it.

Reply #82292 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Norwood girls did not nominate. Injuries?

Reply #82293 | Report this post

Bill Gates  
Years ago

In the Know

That comment almost sounds the same as promotion/relegation. I agree with you. Classics is for teams that are going to be competitive.

Reply #82294 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I don't know about pro/rel but i think if Victoria want to maintain prestige at this event they can't just take anyone. I am not having a go at anyone here but Southern in 14 boys who sit third bottom here, Woodville 18 and 12 girls sit down the table, are all going to struggle big time, (I could be proven wrong), and thought one of the best things at our States champs is that making the top 4 meant the team had earn the right to play over there. Seems that doesn't matter anymore and anyone can go. A lot of interstate teams including Tasmania were there last year, and have not come back. Is the reason teams are not competing because money is getting tighter or in the 16s comp, is it because 16 nationals are 2 weeks later.

Reply #82296 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

SA are always likely to get up to 6 teams in U12s & U14s because ACT don't bring teams over, which opens up an extra spot.

You're not going to get 16 teams that are at the same level. The gap from 1st to 8th in Vic is likely to be nearly as pronounced as the gap from 1st to 5th/6th here. Yes, our 5th & 6th ranked sides are probably on a hiding to nothing, but who should go in their place? 9th & 10th from Vic?

If the option is available, then I think an SA team is better off going to Classics, playing tougher opponents, and getting an idea of what it's like to compete at the higher-end of the sport than play a 2nd-tier competition at Nunawading.

Reply #82297 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

ITK,

Well, in those cases, you're probaby right... if you're 3rd to bottom in SA, Classics probably isn't for you. In those cases, it's fun to laugh at those clubs. :)

But there are competitions where it's very competitive right down to 5th & 6th spot, and in those cases, if a team is accepted into Classics despite missing top 4 at States, then I believe they're better off going.

Re : "anyone can go" - that's not entirely true. See South U18 boys. State Champs results still matter. It would have been interesting had South defeated Norwood for 5th place to see if they accepted the top 5 from State Champs, or given Norwood preference for being Summer Premiers. Technically, I think any team below top 4 are "wildcards" and only fill in spots if they're available.

Reply #82298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was surprised by the number coming from each group. Last year from memory North in U14 boys did not go to classics as only three teams were asked and North finished 4th in State Champs even though they had a spot at the Nationals!

If these teams are going to the classics what will be the strength of the Nunawading tournament?

Reply #82304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No coach should take their team to classics if they are well out of the ball park, despite where you finish at state champs. Injures may have meant you finished out of top 4 as with Norwood 18B but they are competitive enough with full team for Classics. Sometimes you may take out State Champs by sheer luck on the weekend but are not of the standard to play in Victoria. Coaches would not risk their team taking an absolute flogging just for the prestige of playing. Also the Classics has lost a lot of its shine with not all Vic teams taking up invitations either.

Reply #82305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood under 16 girls not going because the coach is coaching under 18 State...joke..they would have been smashed anyway, pretenders..

Reply #82330 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

re: Classics 2006 (#82296)

"In the Know"

did you ever consider that the experience of going to the classics and the development of the players is just as important as the results. the woodville U18 girls finished 6th in the state champs and there where 5 teams going, norwood pulled out. i think its going to do nothing but good for the girls.

Reply #82334 | Report this post

woodville balla  
Years ago

didnt west 18 boys finish high enough 2 make it 2 classics..?

Reply #82389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would tend to agree (#82305), finishing sixth at states & then getting an invite probably means that your going to struggle a fair bit. Experience is one thing, getting a paddling is another. Good luck to all SA teams though.

Reply #82392 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood u18 girls have NOT pulled out of classics

Reply #82393 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Woodville Balla

Weat 18 Boys? Is that a joke? They are terrible!!

Reply #82404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North u18s girls to come 1st!!

Reply #82495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt 14/1 girls r u goin 2 win

Reply #82514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12 and U14 Boys....

Any chances to win?

Reply #82610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 12 boys - NONE.

Werribee by a ton.
Sturt should do pretty well - but if they win their pool (decent chance but no shoo-in) they will play Werribee in the semi - looking at 3/4. Outside chance for bronze I'd say. May also struggle with zones?

Under 14 boys - much better chance here. Sturt should do very well - if they are all over their injuries (particularly one of their bigs who I believe has a broken arm or something). Norwood should do well too. I'd say both qualify through to top 8, and Sturt to top 4. Mavs would be a smokey too to jag top 8.

Reply #82622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 12s boys will be interesting. While Werribee has been the obvious choice... Knox is also dominating their group and should provide an interesting match at some stage.

Sturt won the Easter tournament well but had little competition from the Melbourne teams as none of them qualified for the Classic. They have a tough group to start though with Bulleen certainly in the mix and Sandringham not far behind.

Reply #82939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen pools yet?
Not on the web site.

Reply #82949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah just guessing to be honest! tried figuring it out myself on rankings etc

Reply #82950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect - Sturt knocked off Eltham & Kilsyth at the Easter tournament, both of whom qualified for Classics.

To add to that, they have also beaten Melbourne & Knox (undefeated in VC) at the Eltham Tournament.

As someone mentioned before, if they play well, they're every chance of making it through to the semis. That means a likely cross-over with Werribee... but once you're there, who knows. Anything can happen.

Reply #82951 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

I'm not sure that the crossover situation is correct as stated. Some posters have said that if we win our group in 12's and 16's that we will likely crossover with Vic 1 (Werribee in 12's and Sandringham in 16's, both good but beatable!).

However last year in 14's we went as the 2nd seed, won our group, QF and crossed over with Dandenong who were Vic 1. West Adelaide were SA 1 and they won every game and crossed over against Melbourne (Vic 2).

I think you will find that if SA 1 and Vic 1 win all their games they will not meet until the final. That means (unless I am mistaken) that if all goes according to plan the 12's will crossover with Knox who they beat in OT at Eltham. The winner of that game (another epic encounter expected?) will likely get Weribee in the final.

Reply #82962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is the draw out yet

Reply #82963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think West were SA 1 last year, weren't they SA 3? Norwood were SA 1.

Reply #82965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct

Reply #82967 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Yes my mistake, but I still think that SA 1 and Vic 1 are on opposite sides of the draw if they win their group. From memory Norwood came down with some injuries and didn't make top 8. West finished 2nd in their group, beat the top side from Norwood's group and ended up in the position Norwood (as SA 1) would have been in.

Reply #82970 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

My belief was that SA 1 (in group D) would cross over in the QF with 2nd from group B (this is assuming SA 1 win their pool), then they would cross with the winner of the group A 1st/group C 2nd QF (Vic 1 is in group A) in the semi. I think this is because going by the 1st line of seedings, this would mean the 1st seed plays the 4th seed in 1 semi, while 2nd plays the 3rd in the other. Of course SA 1 is technically the 5th seed, so in making it the to semi, they'd be taking the 4th seeds place.

That was my understanding, and I could very well be wrong. I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough when they release the draw.

Reply #82972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for getting our hopes up SB!!
SA#1 v Vic#1 in the semis (if both teams win their pools and QFs).

Boooooooo.

Reply #83232 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754