Hoop Addict
Years ago

Sabres men down Lions in shootout - Other results?

The Sabre lads got up over Centrals 128-105 in a high scoring affair at Pasadena this evening.

Darren Ng led the way with some smooth shooting on his way to 37 points @ 63% from the field. Brett Maher also lined up and after a slow start, began to find his feet in the 2nd half. He didn't quite seem match fit, but still managed to score 13 points & pull off some very crisp assists. Marcus Hakkendorf was very efficient for his 14 points, while Oscar Forman seemed to go through the motions for 8 points & 10 boards. Smylie had only 20 minutes & racked up 10 boards in that time, but also had 6 turnovers. Todd Gower played reasonably well for his 13 points but as is customary for Todd, had a couple of unnecessary sooks & one outburst after being fouled by Wilkey. The Sabres bench was also impressive in the last quarter, racking up 39 points.

For Centrals, Jye Watson led their scoring with 25 points on 11/16 FGs, and contributed 6 rebounds and 5 assists in a pretty polished performance. I still think he'd struggle at NBL level, because he relies quite a bit on posting up smaller ABL guards, but he certainly finds ways to score at ABL level. Justin Wilkey & Matt Atkins hit 21 each, while Mark Egel had 14 points in 17 minutes on 75% shooting.

Despite obviously being outclassed by a far more talented Sturt outfit, I think you have to admire the Lions for playing the game hard for 48 minutes & rotating through some younger guys (Hoffman, Cameron). They played hard on D, but just had no way of containing Ng, and beyond that Sturt just had contributors everywhere.

A lot of the stat categories were very similar : Rebs 44-43 Sturt, To's 19 (Centrals)-16 (Sturt) but the most glaring difference was in FT's, where Sturt had 47 attempts & converted 37 of them (79%) compared with Centrals only shooting 25 & making 19 (76%).

A pretty lackluster event, really. Centrals played hard in a lost cause & Sturt seemed content to only do what was necessary to get the win.

In other results - the Sturt women defeated Centrals by 40ish in a scrappy affair (78 turnover I hear?) and I have just heard South whacked Woodville by 40-odd with Scanlon dropping 51. Apparently KB got ditched? Any details on that or other games?

Topic #7323 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Lions were without Reggie and still came within 10 points at one point.

In attendance were Phil Smyth, Steve Breheny and Willie Farley.

Darren Ng continues to be the form player of the league (perhaps along with Scanlon?) - 6-10 threes I think?

Reply #82418 | Report this post

ShutUp!  
Years ago

Just seen that Norwood lost to Mavericks 98/87 in Men's, Jacob (22,18 & 8), Madgen (24,4 & 4, Bungey (17 & 12) & Hill (18,7 & 5)doing most of the damage for the winners. Krause (30 & 8), Cooper (16, 15 & 5) & Webber (15, 9 & 9) best for Flames.
Mavs also won Women's Game 61/48

Reply #82419 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

6/11 3's, 11/11 Ft's.

The thing with Darren is that he's getting his points much more efficiently than Scanlon. Ng is shooting over 47% on FG's & nearly 45% on 3's for the season compared to Scanlon's 37% & 31% respectively.

I guess the argument the other way is that Scanlon attracts by far the most defensive attention of any of the South guys, where Ng has Oscar, Smylie, Gower, Bauer & now Maher taking attention off of him.

Still, I'd say right now Ng is the form player of the competition.

Reply #82421 | Report this post

Mitch  
Years ago

tigers got up in double overtime over the bear cats, big matt alexander must have had 30 points and 20 boards

Reply #82428 | Report this post

Damrob  
Years ago

Womens: Sabres 87 to Lions 41

Mens: Sabres 128 to Lions 105

Photos from the game now available online at www.damrob.com.au, or via a direct link to these games.

Reply #82430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Maher playing locally.

Reminds me of the old days when all the NBL guys (36ers and South Aussie's playing NBL interstate) used to play.

Shame there were so few out to see it.

Reply #82431 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Eagle V. North match up???? anyone?

Reply #82442 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Apparently Forestville men won by 35, North women won, but not sure how much by.

Reply #82443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women West bet Soutern by 4.

Reply #82473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hoop addict I think that you are mistaken about Jye's game saying that he relies on his posting up I think he takes what is usually given to him, I have seen a great deal of his games and he relies on his jumpshot more than anything else, but you are right in saying he finds a way to score, he could score at both levels, just needs to tighten the defence a little. We will see how he goes. I saw many people saying that Austin Smylie should be a sixer, wow I dont think his post up game is ready for the NBL although I think he is a solid ABA player, seems way to small to be a big in the nbl, and not the most athletic of types.

Reply #82499 | Report this post

Austin may have had 10 rebounds but offensively he wasn't a real threat in the lions sturt match maybe because he didnt have to be with half the sixers line up playing for sturt, there where plenty of other scoring options in the sturt team. not much for defense.

get some young blood in the 6ixers to develop instead of hanging onto dinosaurs and letting all our young talent go elsewhere. joe ingles for example? and theres a shit load of players in the academy busting there ass show them that can make the squad even if its sitting on the bench have to start somewhere your never going to noe if there any good at nbl level if they never step foot on the court in a game?

anyways personally id say he is over rated specially in a game where he could have dominated ehh? playing against a under strengthed side atm which has worked out well for our juniors, mark egel with a solid performance, cameron and shags putting in the hard work guarding brett maher and Darren.

good to see wilky hitting shots this week after a rescent slump shooting from out in the feild.

bit dissapointing to see that sturt didnt have put on any sort of descent after game grub maybe because they ran out of money getting brett Ng gower foreman etc to play for them but other teams always have somthing lined up after a match.

Reply #82523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know why Reggie didn't play -he didn't play v West and now Sturt?

Reply #82539 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he's been playing with the Lakers?

Reply #82541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's pregnant?

why not just try he's injured his
back

Reply #82547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give yourself a basketball icon Isaac - that is gold!

Reply #82550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he hasnt injured his back. his ankles are the problem

Reply #82662 | Report this post

some body  
Years ago

He has had trouble lately with his ankles and could possible go under the knife for a ankle scrap hopefully as he sed " i dont have to go under da dam knife" thats from reggie himself so cant argue that.

Reply #82663 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754